BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Guest

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 281 - 290 of 1808 | Page: 1 ...20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ...181

Forum » Thread

Re: hood
I have a hoodless Liberty Ridge. For my money hoods are close to essential in northern climates so I'm considering modifying the current one or making another. I've make a hood from t...

In Make Your Own Gear » Performance/Durability of M50 as Windshirt Material?
November 12, 4:07pm

Re: Update on M50 windshirt after some use.
James, What did you use for a hood pattern?

In Make Your Own Gear » Performance/Durability of M50 as Windshirt Material?
November 12, 11:24am

Re: 23rd
Like I said, I'm trying to get out monthly. Am also in the TC area. Pretty much anywhere on the SHT AFTER deer hunting season is OK by me. I've seen Chad hike though and I can't ...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Anybody from Minnesota
November 08, 3:33pm

Re: Inov8 shoes $35
deal, provided 1 of 3 different models still has size 12 available. email sent

In Gear Deals » Inov8 shoes $35
November 08, 5:51am

Re: Philmont food - prioritize comsumption
A fine example of technique trumping all else! Thanks Sarah

In Philmont » Philmont food
November 07, 11:06am

Re: Anybody from Minnesota
Much of the Superior Hiking Trail is closed during the firearms deer hunting season. Even if not, I stay out of the woods for those 16 days. I know MANY safe and responsible hunters but it takes ...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Anybody from Minnesota
November 06, 10:03pm

Re: I'm for 'em
Dean, Stop it man, you're killing me! One question though ... what's your preferred method for treating sock water? Back on topic ... I'm also a pocket fan. Most of my pocket ex...

In GEAR » Pack Pockets Yes or No?
November 06, 5:20pm

Re: cold weather guidance
I keep reading that the best way to combine the two is to drape the quilt over the sleeping bag. This is especially true if it's a synthetic quilt. Your body moisture will end up in the quilt ...

In GEAR » cold weather guidance
November 06, 4:07pm

Re: Ultralight loppers?
The trail adopting I do is slow enough work that saving a few ounces on tools has little noticeable advantage. We can maintain about 4.5 miles in an 8 hour day and we have 9 miles. There'...

In GEAR » Ultralight loppers?
November 04, 5:45pm

Re: Snowfall
WHAT!??? You guy's not interested in replicating Erin's and Hig's experience? IIRC, that was a late spring storm on the Alaskan Peninsula.

In Editor's Roundtable » 5 Beginning Concepts for Winter Backpacking
October 30, 9:26pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am