BPL Community Profile

Rick Dreher (halfturbo) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Northernish California
About Me There once was a hiker from Nantucket....

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rick Dreher

Showing 281 - 290 of 1656 | Page: 1 ...20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ...166

Forum » Thread

Re: Look for a viewfinder
re. batteries: nearly none has a built-in permanent cell--they're removable and charged using a wall-charger. A vanishing few still take AAs or even AAAs. Any camera you're considering w...

In GEAR » Help! Need a camera recommendation
June 15, 12:45pm

Re: San Fran to Yosemite public trans
I'm thinking Amtrak to Merced, then YARTS to the park. Mind, I haven't sussed out the connections and how long it actually takes, but the pieces are there. It has to beat riding the dog (Gr...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » San Fran to Yosemite public trans
June 15, 12:37pm

Re: "A classic camera!"
Agreed--I think it's an Ur-Leica, which would make it fabulously rare and costly. As to why they let Aussie rabble handle one, that's anybody's guess. ;-) http://camerapedia.wikia.co...

In Photography » A classic camera!
June 15, 11:42am

Re: Bad Idea
Yep. Even if Yogi never gets into it (and if they can get their jaws around it they're probably into it in seconds) it doesn't help having your food wander to the next county. Cheers, ...

In GEAR » Tritan Nalgene as a bear canister...
June 14, 3:58pm

Re: Glen Aulin (Yosemite) Alternative
Welcome James, It seems doubtful you'll be able to get to the trailhead for Glen Aulin. Here's an article with a June 7 pic of the Tioga Pass resort: http://www.latimes.com/news/local...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Glen Aulin (Yosemite) Alternative
June 13, 2:29pm

Re: Two new "mirrorless" bodies
Panny officially announced the GF3, 7.9 oz. http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panasonicdmcgf3/ And in this corner, the new Leica Summilux 25/1.4. http://www.dpreview.com/news/1106/11061305p...

In Photography » Two new "mirrorless" bodies
June 12, 11:35pm

Re: Trinity Alps-Morris Meadows
You camped on bare ground, in California, in the mountains. Well done, sir! Thanks for the report; looks like a good time. Cheers, Rick

In Post-Trip Reports » Trinity Alps-Morris Meadows
June 12, 10:51pm

Re: Calling all Photographers
My top compact suggestions are the Lumix LX5 and Oly XZ-1. Both offer optional electronic viewfinders and accept external flashes. The LX5 has a 24mm equivalent lens and the XZ-1 has the fastest co...

In GEAR » Calling all Photographers
June 11, 2:31pm

Re: Canon s95 v. DSLR
Hi David, A couple things to consider when comparing are lens choice and imager size. High-end compacts like the S95 et al have chips roughly between a quarter and an eighth the size of a dslr/m...

In Photography » Canon s95 v. DSLR
June 10, 12:13pm

Re: Old nylon smell
If it smells like mildew you might somehow be able to kill the mildew and odor (e.g., with baking soda, detergent, mild bleach solution, etc.). You needn't run it through a machine, just soakin...

In GEAR » De-stinkifying a nylon tarp
June 09, 1:58pm

All Reader Reviews by Rick Dreher

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Mountain Gear
I've placed a few orders with Mountain Gear, going as far back as when they were based in Idaho, and they've responded flawlessly each time. I admire the breadth and high quality of their sele...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 15, 2:03pm

Backcountrygear.com
I have to put in a plug for these folks, with whom I've shopped on line and over the phone, and who also have a store in soggy Eugene, Oregon. They have a great backpacking and climbing selection f...

November 20, 6:47pm

Recreational Equipment, Inc. (REI)
As another Seattle kid who loved few things more than pilgrammages to the Capitol Hill store, I still associate the smell of cresote with hiking gear. It's hard to imagine backpacking without REI. ...

November 20, 6:22pm

Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
I upgraded to the Micro Puff pullover after several seasons with the old Puffball pullover. Lighter, warmer, stuffs smaller--the Micro Puff is an all-around improvement to what was already a fine garm...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
November 12, 12:53pm

MSR Titan Kettle
Noting the shape isn't the most efficient for squeezing every btu from the stove, the MSR kettle remains a very good single-pot option. It packs nicely, works well with small to medium stoves, pours w...

In Cookware - Titanium
January 15, 12:17pm

MSR SimmerLite
I find the Whisperlite to be MSR's easiest liquid stove to use, and certainly the nicest to lug, bulk and weight-wise. Simmering performance is best with a light touch on the fuel pump--try using l...

In Stoves - White Gas
December 20, 11:46am

Golite Hex 3
I've used a Hex 2, the 3's somewhat smaller brother, with good success for a few seasons. The quarters are a little snug for six-footers, but it's a minor concern. My main complaint is that the ventil...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
November 28, 8:43pm