Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Carol Crooker (cmcrooker) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Desert Southwest, USA
About Me I live and do a lot of my backpacking in the desert, but I LOVE the mountains of the west! I also get out to the east coast occasionally to backpack.
CityPhoenix
StateArizona
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListHammock, Lows to 40

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Carol Crooker

Showing 281 - 290 of 340 | Page: 1 ...15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

Forum » Thread

Response kind of...
Hi all, We've been following this forum, but prep for OR, OR itself, and catching back up after OR takes some attention. I'll answer more fully shortly, but in the meantime, one of BPL's tenets is...

In Chaff » BPL double charging?
February 04, 5:39pm

JRB No Sniveller
Thanks Stephan, Yep, it's baffled. I must have had visions of sugar plums dancing through my head when I wrote that :) Carol

In Editor's Roundtable » Notes from the Field - SuperUltraLight in November on the Flagstaff Peaks, Arizona
December 29, 7:26am

Re: featherlite vapor mitts-sizing concerns
Hi Jonathan, My hand width is small, and length is between M and L. I ordered size medium and there is plenty of width with possum down-like gloves underneath. You'll have more dexterity with a s...

In GEAR » featherlite vapor mitts-sizing concerns
December 08, 3:43pm

double bag ratings
I started winter camping with a 40 degree bag - cause it's what I had. I used a "liner" on top of the bag (inside a bivy), along with down clothing to sleep comfortably to 0 degrees. I figured tota...

In GEAR » Cold weather camping gear for warm weather Scouts - on the cheap
November 27, 9:29pm

Red cap and alligator
HI Tim, I trimmed a bit from the bottom edge of the red BMW cap and it doesn't leak out the bottom when screwed onto a Platy Lil Nipper. It's just a tiny alligator clip attached to the Photon b...

In Editor's Roundtable » Notes from the Field: SuperUltraLight Tarp vs. Hammock in the High Uintas
November 27, 9:10pm

Breathability
Yep, I wasn't clear about that - I meant that the foam caused the moisture since it's not breathable, and the same problem might arise with silnylon. I didn't have any problem with moisture with th...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Notes from the Field: SuperUltraLight Hammocking on the Black Forest Trail in Pennsylvania
October 22, 7:02am

Weathershield
Yep it's heavy, but breathable, which might have some real advantages over a longer trip when you are using insulation. I would guess the thicker material adds more warmth than silnylon too. I hav...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Notes from the Field: SuperUltraLight Hammocking on the Black Forest Trail in Pennsylvania
October 21, 9:44pm

Lightweight, cheap hammock
Hi all, thetravelhammock.com guys had a lightweight hammock at the OR show with integrated bug netting. They claimed a weight of 17 ounces, with hanging cord. I used their standard hammock (no bu...

October 21, 1:16pm

Creature
Thanks Richard and Kristin! I added a note to the photo.

October 20, 10:52am

Ryan Jordan's SUL Winter Challenge
Hi all, So, our illustrious publisher and certified nut, Ryan Jordan, and I were chatting about the SUL challenge. He came up with this idea with no help from me... You all choose his SUL gear ...

In Gear Lists » Ryan Jordan's SUL Winter Challenge
October 19, 11:29am

All Reader Reviews by Carol Crooker

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Coughlan's LED Clip-on Headlight
The Coughlan’s LED Clip-on Headlight is light weight, inexpensive and bright enough for around camp chores. The red filter is a nice feature to save night vision. I gave it a 3 of 5 because it was fru...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
August 07, 4:22pm

Coughlan's Micro Lantern
The Coughlan Micro Lantern is a tiny LED light shaped like a lantern. It has a clip ring on top so it can be hung from your tent zipper pull or the like. The light shines out in a 360 degree circle an...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
June 03, 5:16pm

Inov8 Terroc 330 - Men's
I love the way the Terrocs conform to my feet without needing to be tied too tightly. So - our feet are different or your Terrocs came laced differently than mine. Mine came with a heel locking lacing...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
June 27, 10:21pm

Wilderness First Aid Classes by WMI/NOLS
16 hour course on first aid in the backcountry. Lots of hands on scenarios for practice. The course I attended in AZ in May 2006 was taught by an EMT from Pennsylvania and an EMT/ski patroller from Co...

In First Aid and Survival Gear & Accessories
May 09, 1:06pm

Tilley LT5
Well I thought the LT5 was perfect until Ryan suggested it would be even better if it was lighter. But of course! And it's stylish too - at least we Tilley wearers think so. And Ryan, just slip on yo...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
August 02, 6:30am