Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Carol Crooker (cmcrooker) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Desert Southwest, USA
About Me I live and do a lot of my backpacking in the desert, but I LOVE the mountains of the west! I also get out to the east coast occasionally to backpack.
CityPhoenix
StateArizona
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListHammock, Lows to 40

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Carol Crooker

Showing 281 - 290 of 311 | Page: 1 ...13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

Forum » Thread

Sweet Spot: solo?
A side issue I've noticed, I find it easier to go lighter if I'm solo. Part of it is comfort envy - I don't miss my X piece of gear if I'm not sitting next to someone who has one. Part is that I'm...

In Philosophy & Technique » Sweet spot
June 06, 6:39am

Transparent Gear
Hi Tony, I was just getting a little poetic. The gear is there to help me enjoy the wilderness, not to be the focus of the trip, i.e. be transparent.

In Editor's Roundtable » SuperUltraLight: For the Masses?
June 04, 11:03pm

Balance
I've done a 5-day survival "backpack" with just a fanny pack. My goal in the SUL Challenge is different. I want the gear to be "transparent" so the wilderness comes into focus. With survival lev...

June 03, 7:37am

Adventures in SUL
HI Ron! Glad to hear you're putting your talented design mind to SUL. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

June 03, 7:30am

Base weight
David, Changing poles won't allow me to bring more luxury items - the poles aren't included in the total in pack base weight - what I'm keeping sub-5-lbs. The canyon is not a slot canyon. We...

June 01, 9:42am

floppy silicon?
Brad, Can you tell me more about your "floppy silicon muffin baking pan supporting a round-cut piece of cookie cooling rack"?

In Make Your Own Gear » BPL MYOG Project: Open Jet Alcohol Stove
June 01, 8:07am

SUL: Useful or Bragging Rights?
Ha! Good movie, Tony. My name is Carol and I AM a SUL experimenter.

May 31, 11:43pm

Cheating?
Hi David, If wearing clothes and shoes while hiking, and using trekking poles is cheating, I'm guilty! The 4.0 lbs of "Total Worn or Carried While Hiking” consists solely of clothes I’ll be w...

May 31, 11:41pm

Diagonal length
Paul, Right you are. The two diagonals are 11' and 8' 9" from the numbers you listed. Exactly the reason the BMW tarp needs a rear pole to create more usable length.

May 26, 12:18pm

Staying dry switching from poncho to tarp
Paul, Ahh, I see. Thanks. Mark and Ryan's tarp setups are the same except that Ryan uses a rear pole to lift the center of one of the "Vee" edges (like the photo on the home page). I just played ...

May 26, 10:47am

All Reader Reviews by Carol Crooker

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Coughlan's LED Clip-on Headlight
The Coughlan’s LED Clip-on Headlight is light weight, inexpensive and bright enough for around camp chores. The red filter is a nice feature to save night vision. I gave it a 3 of 5 because it was fru...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
August 07, 4:22pm

Coughlan's Micro Lantern
The Coughlan Micro Lantern is a tiny LED light shaped like a lantern. It has a clip ring on top so it can be hung from your tent zipper pull or the like. The light shines out in a 360 degree circle an...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
June 03, 5:16pm

Inov8 Terroc 330 - Men's
I love the way the Terrocs conform to my feet without needing to be tied too tightly. So - our feet are different or your Terrocs came laced differently than mine. Mine came with a heel locking lacing...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
June 27, 10:21pm

Wilderness First Aid Classes by WMI/NOLS
16 hour course on first aid in the backcountry. Lots of hands on scenarios for practice. The course I attended in AZ in May 2006 was taught by an EMT from Pennsylvania and an EMT/ski patroller from Co...

In First Aid and Survival Gear & Accessories
May 09, 1:06pm

Tilley LT5
Well I thought the LT5 was perfect until Ryan suggested it would be even better if it was lighter. But of course! And it's stylish too - at least we Tilley wearers think so. And Ryan, just slip on yo...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
August 02, 6:30am