Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

John Vance (Servingko) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Intermountain West
About Me Thru hiked the PCT in 1983 and half of the CDT in 84. Backpacking since 1973 when I did my first 50 miler as a scout. Total gear nut and have dropped from a base weight of 35lbs to 10 - 12lbs and love spending time in the mountains even more. I typically get out for 2 week long trips and several weekend trips each year.
CitySalt Lake City
StateUtah
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Vance

Showing 281 - 290 of 503 | Page: 1 ...20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ...51

Forum » Thread

Daily Dip
I wash everyday, weather permitting, and it has to be some really nasty cold weather to keep me from jumping in. I have broken the ice on a couple of occasions to get in but conditions have to be ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Cleanliness on the trail
May 18, 2:05pm

Thanks for the info!
I ordered 2 pair for a total of $28.00

In Gear Deals » 3 oz neoprene camp/kayak/rafting shoes (group purchase to mitigate shipping?)
May 16, 12:06pm

I'm in!
Thanks for the link. I am in and glad to see such an innovative product being funded in an innovative way.

In GEAR » Backcountry Boiler Mk II available!
May 13, 8:15am

Two Bags
Depending on the coldest temps you expect to encounter, I think the Chisos and either a wide Alsek or Sawatch. As an option, if you got either the Alsek or Sawatch in wide, assuming the reg width ...

In GEAR » Katabatic Chisos-40 degree quilt...
May 12, 8:31am

Megalith
As a side note the Megalite can be had with a 2 oz overfilled. Hermit hut has these in stock.

In GEAR » WM Summelrite Sleeping cold patches
May 11, 2:18pm

Katabatic
I am a side sleeper as well and have a Sawatch that has worked very well. My shoulder width is about 21" and I have yet to use the pad straps. I am sleeping on a 24" wide pad which has ...

In GEAR » Katabatic Chisos-40 degree quilt...
May 11, 8:29am

Summerlite Underfill
I had the same problem unless I laid flat on my back and didn't move. In my opinion, the Summerlite could use another oz or two of down. I tried several times to get Western Mountaineering to...

In GEAR » WM Summelrite Sleeping cold patches
May 11, 8:15am

Bear
They omitted the part about sleeping in clothes worn while cooking, food in the tent, and a food covered camper. The bear was known to be in the area and had been a problem the previous day, but t...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Judge awards $1.9 million to family of boy killed by bear
May 07, 7:13am

Down mat
I was using either a short or regular length 20" wide exped DM7 year round with great success, but recently moved to a wider pad at 24". This made all the difference for me, particularly...

In GEAR » I don't sleep well when camping...
May 04, 1:45pm

Katabatic Wide Quilts
Looks like the first of the Katabatic Wide quilts are available. Alsek currently with others shortly. The could make a great over quilt as well as being extra comfy.

In GEAR » Katabatic Wide Quilts
April 30, 7:49am

All Reader Reviews by John Vance

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Chisos
This is from previous posts but I thought I would include it here as well. I received my Chisos with 2oz overfill and just wanted to update those waiting to hear a little more about my initial imp...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 06, 11:48am

Katabatic Gear Sawatch
I know I only have spent 4 nights using my Katabatic Sawatch, I wanted to get a review out for those interested that I have posted elsewhere on this site but not in the review area. I can say thi...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 10, 10:18am

Six Moon Designs Swift10
Now that I have some miles on my 2010 Swift I thought I would prepare a more thorough review. I have been using a 2006 SMD Starlight for the past few years and really love it coming from a brief stin...

In Backpacks - Frameless
June 10, 10:09am

Kookabay Custom Down Air Mattress (DAM)
I recently my pad from Bender yesterday and have to say I am impressed. The seams and sealing is very consistent, straight, and even. My custom pad used the standard 70d fabric and is 24" wide, 6...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 22, 11:08am