BPL Community Profile

John Donewar (Newton) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southeastern Louisiana
About Me Bitten by the hiking bug in 2008. The "infection" persists and I am not in search of cure. :-)
Reinfected by the MYOG bug in 2009 and I am still not in search of a cure. :-)
If I am not hiking I am reading about it or working on my gear.
Became a BPL Lifetime Member 5/1/11.
CityGretna
StateLouisiana
CountryU.S.A.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Donewar

Showing 281 - 290 of 1747 | Page: 1 ...20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ...175

Forum » Thread

Re: Cat Tarp vs. Rectangular Tarp
Luke, IMHO you aren't gaining much coverage. What you are gaining is headroom. Did you get it new from MLD? If you did maybe you can get Ron to exchange it for the Duo. For $20.00 more...

In GEAR » Cat Tarp vs. Rectangular Tarp
November 21, 5:14pm

Re: Esbit
Christian, I have to admit that Lite Trail is much more reasonable with their shipping but it seems to me that I would need 2 of the 4 gram tablets to assure a boil. Sub-Total: ...

In GEAR » Esbit vs. Alcohol?
November 21, 3:49pm

Re: Esbit brand vs Coghlans
John Harper, "I didn't know about the weight difference - this makes the Coghlans tabs seem more attractive for when I only need to boil 1 cup." This is my point exactly and why...

November 21, 1:38pm

Re: Coghlan’s tabs availability
Michael, Do you order the Coghlan’s tabs or pick them up locally. I've found them online as little as $2.15 but with $9.99 shipping for 24! I get 12 Bleuet solid fuel tablets at Acad...

November 21, 12:14pm

Re: Re: Don't use Esbit brand
The info below was gleaned from... http://zenstoves.net/SolidFuelBurner.htm ...after scrolling roughly 2/3rds down the page. One Esbit tab weighs ~14gm (~0.5oz) Two Coghlan’s tabs wei...

November 21, 11:52am

Re: esbit
Steve C. said, "You can mail canisters, I have done it (legally). The box must be labeled so that it is ground only transport." Ken T. said, "You can mail alcohol also... ...

November 21, 11:09am

Re: Esbit vs. Alcohol?
Hi Mark, All you ever wanted to know abut Esbit vs Alcohol and some you didn't. ;-) http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=683...

November 21, 9:15am

Re: Grace in the face of adversity
We all deal with adversity differently. This man's story brought me to tears. http://www.holyadventure.com/walking-24000-miles-to-teach-a-love-of-life Love life! Party On, Newton

In Editor's Roundtable » Depression and Wilderness, Part 2: Wilderness May Not Be Enough
November 21, 7:01am

Size Matters
"Another 7 3/4" When it says L/XL or one size fits most I can still be out of luck. 7 3/4 is tight on me. I just measured my "dome" and it hit the 24" circumference mark...

In GEAR » What hats do you use?
November 20, 7:56am

Re: What hats do you use?
If I'm wearing an actual hat it's the Columbia Bora Bora Booney. I've been known to go with the multi-use bandanna / head cover. At night when sleeping I use a Gold's ...

In GEAR » What hats do you use?
November 20, 3:59am

All Reader Reviews by John Donewar

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Under Armour Men's UA Escape 7" Solid Shorts
Here are the particulars. Ultra-lightweight woven fabric. Mesh internal liner. 360° Reflectivity Hand pockets for your essentials. 7” inseam 2.2 oz. Polyester Men'...</td>          
           <td class=

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
September 29, 10:56am

Scope Outlast
This is a first for me as I have never posted a gear review before. The Scope Outlast Minibrush probably isn't really even considered as hiking gear. Scope Outlast Minibrush

In Backpacks - External Frame
August 13, 12:14pm