Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

David Chenault (DaveC) - BPL Staff

My Locale Crown of the Continent
About Me Social worker. Endurance mountain bike racer, ultra-hiker, packrafter, BC skier, un-serious climber and canyoneer.

I have given up on PMs. Please contact me through my website.
CityThe Fish
StateMontana
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://bedrockandparadox.com
My PDF Gear ListWinter '13

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Chenault

Showing 281 - 290 of 3126 | Page: 1 ...20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ...313

Forum » Thread

Re: Clothing for desert hiking
The Escalante in July/August is brutal. 100+ easy between 10 and 5. It's a good time to do wet hikes. I prefer shorts in summer, but there is enough pricky stuff in some areas to make the ...

In GEAR » Clothing for desert hiking
May 12, 2:42pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Not made in the US
My point was that all the US made cottage packs have fixed shoulder straps, which relatively speaking are simple and cheap to build. The only US made packs I can think of which have adjustable har...

In GEAR » SMD fusion 65
May 12, 2:03pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Not made in the US
Read ALL the words.

In GEAR » SMD fusion 65
May 12, 1:30pm

Re: Carpool
I will not be able to assist with a ride from the finish to the start, the week previous will be too busy. I could offer a few folks a ride from the Flathead up to Marias on friday evening. It ...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » 2014 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open: Marias Pass to Monture Creek
May 12, 12:33pm

Re: Where would you setup camp in this picture
The tress at center-right seem adequate for lightning protection and wind protection. If I were in Griz country I'd probably go right out of the frame and a ways into thicker forest, as meadow...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Where would you setup camp in this picture
May 12, 10:31am

Re: Advice for Idaho/Montana Rockies
The Bob fits your criteria well. Start at Benchmark, go over Stadler Pass, down Danaher Creek, down the South Fork, up the White River, over Larch Hill Pass, back below the Chinese Wall to the beg...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Advice for Idaho/Montana Rockies
May 12, 9:19am

Re: Internal stays....
A few suggestions on UL suspension systems: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/paradox-evolution-review-chenault.html#.U266VC_eO98 http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bi...

In Editor's Roundtable » The Grocery Sack Grows Up: A Genealogy of the Modern Ultralight Backpack
May 10, 5:51pm

Re: Sizing advice for HMG pack
Ideally HMG and/or an owner could give you the actual measurements of a L and a Tall pack, both base-strap length and height of the hipbelt. You can then compare it to a pack you have. How a belt...

In GEAR » Sizing advice for HMG pack
May 10, 4:08pm

Re: Re: Foot stresses
With proper training 50+ k per day for multiple days should be very attainable. Even for weekend warriors. When ya'll are talking about stretching, make sure you define your terms first. S...

In Editor's Roundtable » Training for Backpacking
May 09, 7:34am

Re: Older?
Sounds like a '13, perhaps.

In GEAR » Paradox Unaweep
May 08, 11:29am

All Reader Reviews by David Chenault

Showing 1 - 10 of 25 | Page: 1 2 3

Review

Category

STARBUCKS VIA Italian Roast
Tastes good enough, tiny and easy to use. What could be better? It not being so darn expen$ive.

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
July 27, 2:17pm

Lara Bars Cherry Pie
Tasty, moist, tasty, good calorie to weight ratio, compact, resists deformation, doesn't freeze too bad in the cold, tasty, made of real food, and tasty! Bar-shaped food does not get any bett...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
July 27, 2:16pm

Patagonia Capilene 1 T-Shirt
Cap 1 seems to have changed very little since it was called silkweight capilene back in the day. It dries very quickly, wicks pretty well (though not as well as cap 2), and most importantly feels lig...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
July 27, 2:12pm

Therm-A-Rest Ridgerest
I use a cut-down 48" Ridgerest on every trip. Bombproof, comfy, light, cheap. In winter, I add a full length under it. I actually sleep better on this than most inflatables, but realize I&...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
April 11, 10:47am

MLD Trailstar
In summary: Aside from a bivy sack for good weather and race pace endeavors, I've sold off the rest of my shelters. It's a great cross of a pyramid and a tarp. Finished weight, seam sealed...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
April 11, 10:39am

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
It's hard to get more warmth for the weight (or price). I like having a few pieces to add in as supplementary feet and/or torso pieces. It is quite fragile. Do not leave this on the outside o...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
March 28, 3:18pm

FireLite Trapper's Mug
A very well designed cup. Light, but seems just as functionaly durable as Snowpeak or Evernew stuff. Ideal size for a soloist. The taller than it is wide shape is one I prefer for cooking on a fire...

In Cookware - Titanium
March 28, 3:03pm

Patagonia Houdini Wind Jacket
Note 1: This is a review of my 2005/6 Houdini. It's longevity is revealing (it may have been the Dragonfly back then, even). Note 2: If the price is outrageous, no one would buy it! The prote...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 29, 8:08pm

Patagonia Ready Mix Softshell Pants
I disagree with all Kev's objections, and desperately wish I could find more mediums to buy. The simplicity is what I love best. Actually, the perfect in all conditions from 70-10 F fabric is ...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 29, 8:00pm

patagonia down sweater
Note: I'm folding this review of the Down hooded pullover into this section because 1) the hooded p/o isn't made anymore, 2) the critical comments likely apply broadly. I really liked the d...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
January 27, 10:07am