BPL Community Profile

Brad Groves (4quietwoods) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Michigan
About Me Mostly longer trips without resupply, in what usually seems to be cold and wet conditions. Over two decades of backcountry travel including backpacking and canoe tripping. I consider Marquette to be my home, but I currently live down-state. Many years as a buyer in specialty outdoor retail.
My PDF Gear Listalways changing

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Brad Groves

Showing 281 - 290 of 1559 | Page: 1 ...20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ...156

Forum » Thread

Re: synthetic - down
Samuel, in regard to "Cannot imagine how Mary D arrived at the conclusions she posted above," it's easy. Experience! (Not implying in any way that you're not, by the way.) I go...

In GEAR » Synthetic over Down?
June 04, 8:32am

Re: Help me choose a 0 degree bag for Minnesota
Western Antelope would be perfect... a couple extra ounces of down even more sublime! Next choice the Lithium. A great bag still, but a little more lacking in details... the draft tube and colla...

In Winter Hiking » Help me choose a 0 degree bag for Minnesota
June 03, 5:50pm

Re: Re: Re: Integral Designs Wedge eVENT Bivy REVIEW
Yeah, my single walls always had condensation on the poles, too. Part of the fun. I think I was in my techie-retentive-literal state... "See, there is some..." Doesn't sound as though...

In Editor's Roundtable » Integral Designs Wedge eVENT Bivy REVIEW
June 03, 4:11pm

Re: Integral Designs Wedge eVENT Bivy REVIEW
Doug, thanks for a great review! This sounds like it'd be great for high-mountain gnarly stuff. As for moisture, breathability, and condensation: I noticed that in the set of 4 photos showin...

In Editor's Roundtable » Integral Designs Wedge eVENT Bivy REVIEW
June 03, 10:27am

Re: Evernew DX Stove Set Frustrations
Hi, Franco- I also use a 2L pot w/Caldera (for more than one person). Works great!

In GEAR » Evernew DX Stove Set Frustrations
June 03, 8:38am

Re: downmats and moisture
Other option, store it as you would a self-inflator: flat with the valves open. No moisture problems.

In GEAR » downmats and moisture
June 03, 8:36am

Re: Best Practices: Saving Time in the Morning
Best way to save time in the morning... Get out of bed! Your bed anchors you, physically and mentally (IMHO, of course). I get up & dressed, stuff my bag, pad, and most clothes, set up my st...

In Philosophy & Technique » Best Practices: Saving Time in the Morning
June 01, 11:10am

Re: UL gravity filter
For what it's worth, IIRC the Frontier Pro filters to 3.0 microns. In contrast, the 1.8 oz Sawyer inline-filter filters to 0.1 micron, and you can use it as gravity feed w/your hydration setup ...

In GEAR » UL gravity filter
June 01, 10:11am

Re: Ultralight synthetic sleeping bags
It seems a little silly to go for a heavier bag... what about something like a MLD Spirit quilt? 14.5 oz synthetic. Or have Tim Marshall make you one. Unless they just changed the Propel, it...

In GEAR » Ultralight synthetic sleeping bags
June 01, 10:07am

Re: Evernew DX Stove Set Frustrations
I think the best way to think of the stove is as an alcohol stove. It is not a primary wood-burning stove. If you want a light, easy to use, great burning wood stove that can do alcohol w/flair ...

In GEAR » Evernew DX Stove Set Frustrations
June 01, 9:51am

All Reader Reviews by Brad Groves

Brad Groves has posted no reviews.