Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

David Chenault (DaveC) - BPL Staff

My Locale Crown of the Continent
About Me Social worker. Backcountry traveler and writer in my spare time.

I have given up on PMs due to their tendency to encourage poorly considered inquiries. Please contact me through my website. I enjoy pack construction and trip planning questions in particular.
CityThe Fish
StateMontana
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://bedrockandparadox.com
My PDF Gear ListWinter '14/15

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Chenault

Showing 2711 - 2720 of 3582 | Page: 1 ...263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 ...359

Forum » Thread

frosting a rock
"Frosting a rock" is a poo-disposal technique used in situations where there isn't enough biomass in the soil to make burying it sustainable. Alpine tundra and desert slickrock, for ...

In Post-Trip Reports » 27 Hours in Glacier Gorge
November 16, 10:29am

Paging the fabric gurus
I've been designing a new shell anorak (in my head), and want some feedback before I start buying fabric. This project also tries to do several different, perhaps contradictory things at once,...

In Make Your Own Gear » Paging the fabric gurus
November 16, 8:46am

Sergio!
Sounds like a good deal! I wonder about the durability of the MT 101 uppers. Probably fine on trails, but it seems like you might go through a lot of them. I got holes in my 100s very fast. ...

In Gear Lists » AT/PCT gear lists
November 16, 8:18am

Trailstar in very high winds
I've had my Trailstar in conditions like Ken's on two occasions now (both unsheltered campsites on the shore of big, mountain lakes). My conclusion it that the TS can provide very strong w...

In GEAR » 'Mid vs TT Moment in psycho winds
November 15, 8:44am

big deal?
I suppose I shouldn't be taken aback by the voficeration of folks objections to this. Sure carrying poo brings about a sort of cognitive dissonance with our modern sense of hyper-cleanliness, ...

In Post-Trip Reports » 27 Hours in Glacier Gorge
November 15, 8:25am

coiling rope
What Eric said. Only way to do it.

In GEAR » How do you wrap your rope or cord?
November 15, 7:59am

low temps
Will, I've spent an unplanned night out in just such a setup, around a fire, at 8000', high 30s (F) in the rain and was able to sleep for about 45 minutes at a stretch (until the fire burne...

In GEAR » how low (temperature) could you go with this?
November 14, 5:39pm

fleece
Down has its place, Primaloft too, and fleece, especially. My circa 2004-5 hi-loft R3 pullover (to which I've grafted an R2 hood) is a fantastic layer for this time of year, when rain often ...

In GEAR » Fleece options for wet weather
November 14, 5:12pm

winter sleep system
When the temps are forecasted in the single digits (F) I bring: WM Antelope MF Ridgerest torso pad Full length Walmart blue pad Shelter depending on terrain and weather

In GEAR » What is your cold weather sleeping system?
November 14, 8:59am

big pocket
Craig, the latest two packs have one big pocket that wraps around the pack. Apparently I've done a poor job showing that. If you make the back and side pockets one pocket, and design extra le...

In Make Your Own Gear » A very not light pack.
November 12, 8:24am

All Reader Reviews by David Chenault

Showing 1 - 10 of 25 | Page: 1 2 3

Review

Category

STARBUCKS VIA Italian Roast
Tastes good enough, tiny and easy to use. What could be better? It not being so darn expen$ive.

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
July 27, 2:17pm

Lara Bars Cherry Pie
Tasty, moist, tasty, good calorie to weight ratio, compact, resists deformation, doesn't freeze too bad in the cold, tasty, made of real food, and tasty! Bar-shaped food does not get any bett...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
July 27, 2:16pm

Patagonia Capilene 1 T-Shirt
Cap 1 seems to have changed very little since it was called silkweight capilene back in the day. It dries very quickly, wicks pretty well (though not as well as cap 2), and most importantly feels lig...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
July 27, 2:12pm

Therm-A-Rest Ridgerest
I use a cut-down 48" Ridgerest on every trip. Bombproof, comfy, light, cheap. In winter, I add a full length under it. I actually sleep better on this than most inflatables, but realize I&...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
April 11, 10:47am

MLD Trailstar
In summary: Aside from a bivy sack for good weather and race pace endeavors, I've sold off the rest of my shelters. It's a great cross of a pyramid and a tarp. Finished weight, seam sealed...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
April 11, 10:39am

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
It's hard to get more warmth for the weight (or price). I like having a few pieces to add in as supplementary feet and/or torso pieces. It is quite fragile. Do not leave this on the outside o...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
March 28, 3:18pm

FireLite Trapper's Mug
A very well designed cup. Light, but seems just as functionaly durable as Snowpeak or Evernew stuff. Ideal size for a soloist. The taller than it is wide shape is one I prefer for cooking on a fire...

In Cookware - Titanium
March 28, 3:03pm

Patagonia Houdini Wind Jacket
Note 1: This is a review of my 2005/6 Houdini. It's longevity is revealing (it may have been the Dragonfly back then, even). Note 2: If the price is outrageous, no one would buy it! The prote...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 29, 8:08pm

Patagonia Ready Mix Softshell Pants
I disagree with all Kev's objections, and desperately wish I could find more mediums to buy. The simplicity is what I love best. Actually, the perfect in all conditions from 70-10 F fabric is ...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 29, 8:00pm

patagonia down sweater
Note: I'm folding this review of the Down hooded pullover into this section because 1) the hooded p/o isn't made anymore, 2) the critical comments likely apply broadly. I really liked the d...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
January 27, 10:07am