Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

David Chenault (DaveC) - BPL Staff

My Locale Crown of the Continent
About Me Social worker. Backcountry traveler and writer in my spare time.

I have given up on PMs due to their tendency to encourage poorly considered inquiries. Please contact me through my website. I enjoy pack construction and trip planning questions in particular.
CityThe Fish
StateMontana
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://bedrockandparadox.com
My PDF Gear ListWinter '14/15

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Chenault

Showing 2711 - 2720 of 3198 | Page: 1 ...263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 ...320

Forum » Thread

down v. synthetic v. holes
One advantage of synthetics like PL-One is that they don't rush out through every little hole like down does. Synthetic gets the nod, though as you point out fleece is best. Even though my pi...

In GEAR » MontBell U.L Down Inner vs. Patagonia Nano Puff?
April 15, 3:32pm

unfrozen socks
If you have wet socks (or other gear) that you want to not freeze overnight, put them under your sleeping mat. Your body heat will keep them thawed (and even tepidly warm) unless it gets very, ver...

In GEAR » Which footwear for wet cold weekend?
April 15, 3:29pm

A freaking plus!
Exemplary trip report! Never been to the Gila. Obviously that needs the change.

In Post-Trip Reports » Waist High: Wandering the Deep Canyons and Lonely Mesas of the Gila
April 15, 9:00am

wheelies
Here you go folks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BktHUg_8uMY Sam, that frame looks ghettofabulous!

In Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring » Longtail Cargo Bicycles
April 15, 8:36am

Option 3
Option 3 for sure. It is less likely to affect the fit of your boot than option 1, and boots are just silly most of the time. IMO, for 99% of backpacking WPB shoes or boots are antiquated. Shoes...

In GEAR » Which footwear for wet cold weekend?
April 15, 8:22am

FS: Osprey Talon 11
2009 vintage. Deep blue, M/L torso size. Straps have been trimmed a bit, and the gray bottom fabric is a bit dirty from use. $60 shipped CONUS. Paypal, please.

In Gear Swap » FS: Osprey Talon 11
April 13, 10:54am

steep pitch
I had a bit of snow early this morning: http://vimeo.com/10877073. The Trailstar above was pitched with a canoe paddle as a center pole, rocks buried in the sand as stakes, and the branches as...

In GEAR » MLD TrailStar thread.
April 12, 9:19pm

Canoeing the Blackfoot
Got in a 24 canoe trip yesterday and today. It was nice. http://vimeo.com/10877073

In Post-Trip Reports » Canoeing the Blackfoot
April 12, 9:07pm

another pitch
A narrow door gives good access and a nice snow shedding pitch. Last night (pictured) I got an inch of snow between 6 and 7 am.

In GEAR » MLD TrailStar thread.
April 12, 2:57pm

another side
I have a 4 month old, made in China Alpha SL pullover whoose construction I'd put up against any other shell. It's been used a fair bit during our warm winter, and still beads water perfec...

In GEAR » Acteryx Beta SL
April 12, 2:13pm

All Reader Reviews by David Chenault

Showing 1 - 10 of 25 | Page: 1 2 3

Review

Category

STARBUCKS VIA Italian Roast
Tastes good enough, tiny and easy to use. What could be better? It not being so darn expen$ive.

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
July 27, 2:17pm

Lara Bars Cherry Pie
Tasty, moist, tasty, good calorie to weight ratio, compact, resists deformation, doesn't freeze too bad in the cold, tasty, made of real food, and tasty! Bar-shaped food does not get any bett...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
July 27, 2:16pm

Patagonia Capilene 1 T-Shirt
Cap 1 seems to have changed very little since it was called silkweight capilene back in the day. It dries very quickly, wicks pretty well (though not as well as cap 2), and most importantly feels lig...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
July 27, 2:12pm

Therm-A-Rest Ridgerest
I use a cut-down 48" Ridgerest on every trip. Bombproof, comfy, light, cheap. In winter, I add a full length under it. I actually sleep better on this than most inflatables, but realize I&...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
April 11, 10:47am

MLD Trailstar
In summary: Aside from a bivy sack for good weather and race pace endeavors, I've sold off the rest of my shelters. It's a great cross of a pyramid and a tarp. Finished weight, seam sealed...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
April 11, 10:39am

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
It's hard to get more warmth for the weight (or price). I like having a few pieces to add in as supplementary feet and/or torso pieces. It is quite fragile. Do not leave this on the outside o...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
March 28, 3:18pm

FireLite Trapper's Mug
A very well designed cup. Light, but seems just as functionaly durable as Snowpeak or Evernew stuff. Ideal size for a soloist. The taller than it is wide shape is one I prefer for cooking on a fire...

In Cookware - Titanium
March 28, 3:03pm

Patagonia Houdini Wind Jacket
Note 1: This is a review of my 2005/6 Houdini. It's longevity is revealing (it may have been the Dragonfly back then, even). Note 2: If the price is outrageous, no one would buy it! The prote...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 29, 8:08pm

Patagonia Ready Mix Softshell Pants
I disagree with all Kev's objections, and desperately wish I could find more mediums to buy. The simplicity is what I love best. Actually, the perfect in all conditions from 70-10 F fabric is ...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 29, 8:00pm

patagonia down sweater
Note: I'm folding this review of the Down hooded pullover into this section because 1) the hooded p/o isn't made anymore, 2) the critical comments likely apply broadly. I really liked the d...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
January 27, 10:07am