BPL Community Profile

David Chenault (DaveC) - BPL Staff

My Locale Crown of the Continent
About Me Social worker. Endurance mountain bike racer, ultra-hiker, packrafter, BC skier, un-serious climber and canyoneer.

I have given up on PMs. Please contact me through my website.
CityThe Fish
StateMontana
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://bedrockandparadox.com
My PDF Gear ListWinter '13

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Chenault

Showing 2711 - 2720 of 3058 | Page: 1 ...263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 ...306

Forum » Thread

logistics indeed
Steven, I've hiked almost every section of that route at one time or another. It's a fun journey, and would give you a great sense of the ecosystem transitions around Zion. Things might b...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Las Vegas Hikes (Logistics)
February 14, 4:51pm

late Oct
Ryan, If I were to pick one best time to hike in the Grand, it would be late October/early November. I think the rim-rim shuttle has stopped by then.

In Post-Trip Reports » Grand Canyon Advice: North Rim to South Rim
February 14, 4:48pm

wet bag
If any down bag gets really soaked, you're in for some suffering. Build a fire and prepare to sleep for no more than 2 hours at a stretch. I've been there, fortunately in July. I alway...

In GEAR » Washing a cuben down quilt
February 14, 2:06pm

views
"From Indian Gardens there is a nice scenic side trail that goes a few miles up onto the Plateau overlooking the river." This is Plateau Point. 3 dead flat miles round trip from India...

February 14, 11:22am

logistics
I don't think taking the shuttle after hiking will be a big deal. Take a nap once you leave the park, wake up in time to see the Vermillion Cliffs and the ascent back up onto the Kaibab in the...

February 14, 11:18am

shells
I would not skip the windshirt. I reckon you'll have plenty of days when it's too windy for just a base layer, yet 40-50 degrees and far too warm for a puffy. For that time of year in A...

In Gear Lists » Arizona Trail Gear List - Leaving in 3 weeks!
February 14, 11:06am

hood!
The hood on my Houdini is the best extra warmth you can get for the weight. And when cinched down properly is doesn't block my view at all. I think the larger point is that a hood, be it on...

In GEAR » hood or hoodless wind shirt
February 14, 11:00am

Osprey
You could get one of the Talon 33s that have been popping up on closeout and leave the lid at home.

In GEAR » Recommended packs smaller than the Golite Jam
February 14, 10:54am

research
Micheal, I use a 48" regular ridgerest year round. In the winter, I add either a full length thinlight foam mat or if it's really cold (single digits or below) I add a full length Ther...

In GEAR » Which sleeping pad is cheap and effective?
February 14, 10:51am

simple
Get a basic Ridgerest and call it good.

In GEAR » Which sleeping pad is cheap and effective?
February 13, 9:40am

All Reader Reviews by David Chenault

Showing 1 - 10 of 25 | Page: 1 2 3

Review

Category

STARBUCKS VIA Italian Roast
Tastes good enough, tiny and easy to use. What could be better? It not being so darn expen$ive.

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
July 27, 2:17pm

Lara Bars Cherry Pie
Tasty, moist, tasty, good calorie to weight ratio, compact, resists deformation, doesn't freeze too bad in the cold, tasty, made of real food, and tasty! Bar-shaped food does not get any bett...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
July 27, 2:16pm

Patagonia Capilene 1 T-Shirt
Cap 1 seems to have changed very little since it was called silkweight capilene back in the day. It dries very quickly, wicks pretty well (though not as well as cap 2), and most importantly feels lig...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
July 27, 2:12pm

Therm-A-Rest Ridgerest
I use a cut-down 48" Ridgerest on every trip. Bombproof, comfy, light, cheap. In winter, I add a full length under it. I actually sleep better on this than most inflatables, but realize I&...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
April 11, 10:47am

MLD Trailstar
In summary: Aside from a bivy sack for good weather and race pace endeavors, I've sold off the rest of my shelters. It's a great cross of a pyramid and a tarp. Finished weight, seam sealed...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
April 11, 10:39am

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
It's hard to get more warmth for the weight (or price). I like having a few pieces to add in as supplementary feet and/or torso pieces. It is quite fragile. Do not leave this on the outside o...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
March 28, 3:18pm

FireLite Trapper's Mug
A very well designed cup. Light, but seems just as functionaly durable as Snowpeak or Evernew stuff. Ideal size for a soloist. The taller than it is wide shape is one I prefer for cooking on a fire...

In Cookware - Titanium
March 28, 3:03pm

Patagonia Houdini Wind Jacket
Note 1: This is a review of my 2005/6 Houdini. It's longevity is revealing (it may have been the Dragonfly back then, even). Note 2: If the price is outrageous, no one would buy it! The prote...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 29, 8:08pm

Patagonia Ready Mix Softshell Pants
I disagree with all Kev's objections, and desperately wish I could find more mediums to buy. The simplicity is what I love best. Actually, the perfect in all conditions from 70-10 F fabric is ...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 29, 8:00pm

patagonia down sweater
Note: I'm folding this review of the Down hooded pullover into this section because 1) the hooded p/o isn't made anymore, 2) the critical comments likely apply broadly. I really liked the d...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
January 27, 10:07am