BPL Community Profile

Mary D (hikinggranny) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
About Me 60-odd years of hiking and backpacking experience, mostly in Rockies and in Pacific Northwest. Relatively recent convert (started 6 years ago) to lightweight backpacking. Continue to do a lot of gear research to lighten load further.
StateOregon
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mary D

Showing 2701 - 2710 of 2728 | Page: 1 ...254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273

Forum » Thread

Supplex pants with elastic wasitband?
Campmor's "Trekmor" convertible pants have an elastic back waist for both their men's and women's convertible pants. I have a pair (women's) and they are really comforta...

In GEAR » Supple pants with elastic wasitband?
November 09, 9:27pm

Reading glasses
The need for close-up vision correction usually happens in the early 40's, when the ability to change focus diminishes. When you find your arms are too short to hold the book far enough away ...

In Multiple Use Gear » Reading glasses
November 04, 2:31pm

Ideal UV purification set?
This is one of the reasons (although a minor one) that I gave up on the Steripen. I wasn't concerned for me--as others have said, a few drops don't matter. I was, however, very concerne...

In GEAR » Ideal UV purification set?
November 04, 1:58pm

$500 at REI and nothing to buy...
I ran into an interesting situation with an REI refund last summer when I returned the (censored) Steripen, about which far too much has been written in other threads. The credit card I used to bu...

In GEAR » $500 at REI and nothing to buy....
November 04, 1:49pm

My 15lb Gear List
Are you planning to hike nude? I didn't see any clothing other than a poncho listed in either your pack or "worn/carried." Aside from other issues, hiking nude leaves you quite vuln...

In Gear Lists » My 15lb Gear List
October 30, 6:14pm

Towel absorbencies
I've found Handi-Wipes (available at your local supermarket) to be just as absorbent and, more important, lots faster-drying than the various pack towels marketed. I bought a small MSR to try ...

In GEAR » Towel absorbencies
October 30, 5:56pm

Steripen Usage
Interesting that all those praising this overrated (IMHO) gizmo are men, undoubtedly with strong hands, while those having trouble with it, especially with the too-stiff on-off switch, are women. ...

In GEAR » Steripen Usage
October 29, 10:29pm

SteriPEN Adventurer Water Purifier REVIEW
I found that the switch on the Steripen Adventurer was so stiff that most of the time I couldn't operate it. I have received at least 7 reports from other woman backpackers who were unable to ...

In Editor's Roundtable » SteriPEN Adventurer Water Purifier REVIEW
October 29, 10:18pm

Sunday afternoon adventure hat
My very favorite hat! I got one a year ago and it's my #1 "essential." It does keep the sun off face, neck and ears, but only if there is no reflection going on. Around water and...

In GEAR » Sunday afternoon adventure hat
October 29, 1:35pm

Steripen Usage
If the switch on the Steripen Adventurer I had was defective, why, after I posted my complaints on another backpacking forum, did I get half a dozen responses and several more private mails from wo...

In GEAR » Steripen Usage
October 24, 12:09am

All Reader Reviews by Mary D

Showing 1 - 10 of 10 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Thermarest Neo-Air
I purchased a short NeoAir in late May of 2009 from REI (using the 20% off coupon, which made it a less exorbitant purchase). The prospect of an air mat that was considerably lighter than my POE Insu...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
June 10, 3:22pm

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
So far I have found several uses for the 1/8" GG Thinlight pad: (1) Dog sleeping pad (cut to 36" long). It's just right for my 80-lb. dog who sleeps curled up in a ball. He's ...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
April 18, 6:49pm

Potable Aqua Iodine Drinking Water Germicidal Tablets
I used these back in the mid-1980's to disinfect drinking water (that's about all that was available then other than filters or boiling). After one month, using them only on weekends, I broke...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
April 07, 6:44pm

Big Agnes Pumphouse Multi-Use Dry Sack and Pad Pump
I purchased a Big Agnes Pumphouse soon after they came on the market in the summer of 2007. It is advertised on the BA web site as a "...pad pump, dry sack, stuff sack, pillow, water carrier, ba...

In Miscellaneous Products
October 18, 2:54pm

Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Sack
In the past, I've read in a number of places (including Jim Wood's excellent article on "Keeping Your Critical Gear Dry") that these sacks have failed the submersion test. This prob...

In Miscellaneous Products
October 18, 2:07pm

Pacific Outdoor Products Insul Mat Max-Thermo
My POE Insulmat Max Thermo (now the Ether Thermo, but I got the old model on closeout) just finished its second backpacking season. I'm in my early 70's so these old bones and joints ain...

October 17, 5:34pm

Big Agnes Clearview
I know that this pad is supposedly the same thickness as my POE InsulMat Max Thermo (now the Ether Thermo). However, it has more tubes, which seem to make it effectively thinner. The Clearview has t...

October 17, 5:01pm

SteriPen Adventurer
My big complaint with the Steripen Adventurer is that I could not work the switch! It's fine for those with big strong hands (the kind who regularly open jars for their SO), but not for me (I can...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
October 17, 1:52pm

Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo
I bought a Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo (e) in June of 2007 and used it through two backpacking seasons. First of all, I need to point out that my Labrador retriever backpacks with me (he's part...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
October 17, 1:28pm

Backcountrygear.com
I am a relatively recent convert to lightweight backpacking (I didn't know all this wonderful stuff existed--you'd never know it from a trip through REI or by reading Backpacker) and this is m...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 17, 12:38pm