Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 271 - 280 of 713 | Page: 1 ...19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ...72

Forum » Thread

My feedback
My buying habits depend a bit on what I am buying. If I am buying a product that is produced by a big name then typically I will purchase at REI or will purchase online where price and reputatio...

In GEAR » From the owner of - What traits do BPL members consider important in an online gear shop???
January 30, 12:52pm

Excellent video
Nice job Ryan. While I don't have a son, I do have a teenage daughter and can empathize with the lack of interest by today's youth in outdoor activities because of the "inconvenience&...

In Editor's Roundtable » Boys in the Wild (Short Film)
January 30, 8:37am

Re: Re: Syn/down sleep system
Tim at Enlightened Equipment recently responded to a question I posed about using two quilts in winter instead of one. His advice was to put the lower rated quilt on top (i.e., a 40 degree) and th...

In GEAR » Syn/down sleep system
January 25, 12:45pm

What size please?

In Gear Swap » FS: R1 Hoody
January 24, 7:03pm

Shorter Trips
Fortunately my job allows me to work from home and live where I want (Colorado). That allows me to be in wilderness within 90 minutes. Having said that work and family constraints don't allow...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How often do you hike or backpack?
January 24, 8:31am

Re: Australia's Great South Coast Walk
Wow, beautiful pictures Amy! I always imagine camping on the beach to be a dreadful with sand getting into everything (especially if windy). Was that the case? Any other things you were glad...

In Post-Trip Reports » 35 Days in New South Wales, Australia
January 23, 4:46pm

Re: WTB Gossamergear Tarp
Do you mean the SpinnTwinn?

In Gear Swap » WTB Gossamergear Tarp
January 22, 5:11pm

Re: Anybody have experience with the Golite Roan-Plateau-800-Fill-Down-Hooded-Parka
I didn't like the fit of the turtle collar. IMO a turtle collar in a Parka should come up high enough to fit over your chin/mouth. The Roan had the fit on that part off so that I had to go up...

In GEAR » Anybody have experience with the Golite Roan-Plateau-800-Fill-Down-Hooded-Parka
January 21, 8:32pm

GG SitLight
Two things, 1] Stiff pad for a "Frame". In my GoLite Jam backpack I pulled out the pad that came with it and replaced with the Gossamer Gear SitLight pad which is more stiff and does...

In GEAR » Preferred sleeping p[ad for forming framless pack.
January 17, 8:46am

Don't cut corners on your sleep system
Have to agree with the previous poster that Enlightened Equipment is a no brainer for getting a high quality quilt for a very reasonable price. To me, a quality sleep system isn't the place to...

In GEAR » making use of an old bag, help please.
January 15, 4:54pm

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm