BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock
StateCO
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 271 - 280 of 671 | Page: 1 ...19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ...68

Forum » Thread

Re: Downmat UL vs Synmat UL
If you use the Schnozzel then there is really zero advantage to the Synmat other than weight in which case the huge improvement in R value makes the Downmat a no brainer IMO. The Schnozzel prevent...

In GEAR » Downmat UL vs Synmat UL
December 26, 11:05am

Price Drop: Marmot EcoPro 15 Sleeping Bag $70
$70 shipped CONUS or actual shipping cost for anywhere outside the CONUS.

In Gear Swap » FS Marmot EcoPro 15 Sleeping Bag
December 24, 9:57pm

Re: Re: Try an alky
Not sure what's not to get about a Jetboil, it's a convenience/performance vs weight tradeoff. it boils much faster, no priming the stove and no measuring of fuel. If you are car campi...

In GEAR » Having hard time justifying the weight of a jetboil
December 24, 10:09am

Re: Having hard time justifying the weight of a jetboil
Alcohol stoves are lighter weight but unless you are doing a long thru hike I love the convenience and efficiency of a jetboil. You don't say which model you have since I know the lightest mod...

In GEAR » Having hard time justifying the weight of a jetboil
December 23, 11:14pm

Re: FS Marmot EcoPro 15 Sleeping Bag $80
Resurrection. Bag has been sitting stored uncompressed in it's cotton storage sack. While too heavy for my backpacking needs, it would work well as a bag for car camping, a canoe/raft trip ...

In Gear Swap » FS Marmot EcoPro 15 Sleeping Bag
December 23, 5:57pm

Re: Mid vs Tarp
My original purpose in raising this was trying to decide whether to continue with the Tarp/Bivy combination or make the move to a Mid. I think the other big advantage of the Tarp/Bivy combo for me...

In GEAR » Mid vs Tarp
December 18, 10:14am

Mid vs Tarp
Interested in your opinions of a Tarp vs MLD Solomid for regular 3 season use. For comparison purposes, I have a GG SpinnTwinn which is 11oz in its stuff sack including line locs. I know the basi...

In GEAR » Mid vs Tarp
December 17, 10:45pm

Re: Pitching Bivy without Tarp
I would just use your smaller CF pole and run a bungee cord from the Bivy, wrapped around the pole and hooked onto your stake. Lashing a stake directly to your pole would not be very strong and co...

In GEAR » Pitching Bivy without Tarp
December 17, 10:38pm

Re: Re: Re: Weight?
Yep, 40oz packed. I have had a Nemo Meta 1p for 2 years now and it's my shelter for shorter trips where weight isn't a premium. The tent is outstanding. The key is guying out the ends an...

In Gear Swap » FS: Two Nemo Meta 1P solo trekking pole tents
December 13, 10:49am

Re: WTB MLD Serenity
Bump

In Gear Swap » WTB MLD Serenity
December 13, 7:47am

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm