BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 271 - 280 of 5285 | Page: 1 ...19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ...529

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Stupid light
Aaron wins!

In Philosophy & Technique » Your "stupid light" moments.
December 07, 10:06pm

Re: Down vest - Mont Bell UL?
I've had one for several years and it was held up well. My backpacking gear sees more rugged use than my city clothes.

In GEAR » Down vest - Mont Bell UL?
December 07, 10:03pm

Re: "Light" gear list to shoot for?
Make a list of every item in your pack. If you haven't used it in the past 10 trips get rid of it. The exception is bandaids. If an item needs a battery, consider that you probably don't ne...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » "Light" gear list to shoot for?
December 07, 9:56pm

The JMT Pencil and the UL Life
This week when I submitted my weekly Kitchen Pass Request (KPR), the boss denied it. I thought I would be going backpacking. She (the Boss) said I have not been at home on a weekend in over two mon...

In GEAR » Which Pencil for the JMT?
December 07, 1:40pm

Re: Colder weather weekend trips, hydro flask?
I take it that this is some sort of insulated bottle, correct? If so, insulating it at night isn't going to do anything to keep the contents warm. Maybe it is time to invest in a winter hyd...

In Philosophy & Technique » Colder weather weekend trips, hydro flask?
December 06, 11:21pm

Re: Re: Stove in use at -30 C (-20 F)
"At such -30C extreme cold, does one still follow the standard procedure of starting the stove with the canister upright and then inverting it after a minute or so once the preheat tube gets h...

In Editor's Roundtable » The Evolution of a Winter Stove - Part 3
December 06, 6:45pm

Here's a support thought
Okay, I am NOT interested in running in such a beautiful place -- better to walk it over a few days and explore, and am getting to old for long runs anyway. But I have been watching the thread a...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » 3rd Annual BPL Spring Run -Zion Training Thread
December 06, 4:42pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sand running
"I would've spoiled my wetsuit" I would have SOILED mine :)

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » 3rd Annual BPL Spring Run -Zion Training Thread
December 06, 4:37pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: microspike, crampon suggestions.
Google "C2C2C2C" Oh my! To clarify, it is Cactus to Clouds, to, Clouds to Cactus. 10,800 feet up and then 10,800 feet down. About 34 miles round trip.

In GEAR » microspike, crampon suggestions.
December 06, 1:18pm

Re: Re: Re: microspike, crampon suggestions.
Scree, If there has been significant winter snowfall, then by April or so the snow gets pretty hard and icy. Little sun hits the trail during winter due to all the trees and the orientation of t...

In GEAR » microspike, crampon suggestions.
December 06, 12:58pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am