Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 271 - 280 of 1879 | Page: 1 ...19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ...188

Forum » Thread

Re: Best wildlife encounters?
Not my encounter (unfortunately) and yes, this was a "tourist activity" but this would rate very high for me

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Best wildlife encounters?
February 28, 6:16am

Re: ...sigh
let's see ... just last week I packed away three fleece balaclavas (and numerous other fleeces) that I'd treated with nikwax polar proof. Why am I feeling fleeced? We're trying to...

In Gear Deals » Grid Fleece Balaclava (Patagucci R1 Material) - $6.90
February 26, 5:47pm

Re: Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore
I hear you on the 34f slush trips Travis could demonstrate sleeping in his packraft?

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore
February 23, 2:16pm

take the forecast in Michigan with a pinch of salt I hear ya on that, last winter while picking up a backcountry permit at Porcupine Mtns SP we were advised that "we've been known to g...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore
February 23, 1:12pm

microspikes: Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore
Are these a good idea for this trip maybe I should pick some up depending on weather/ ice conditions??? That's hard to say. Current snow depths make it look like it'll be hard to thaw a...

February 23, 12:27pm

Re: Rubber band.....rubber band man.
I never pass up the chance to save a rubber band for reuse later! I wonder if that is a genetic trait or an acquired illness;-) Testing Protocol I hung 3 rubber bands from our outside clothesl...

In Make Your Own Gear » Rubber band.....rubber band man.
February 23, 8:15am

Re: Cuban Embargo
Actually, I'd prefer the information be collected and maintained by a non state actor, .... I just don't trust our increasingly intrusive governments with that kind of knowledge on a broad ...

In Chaff » BSA discrimination policy :(
February 22, 12:08am

Re: Fire in the rain.
Rain or no rain, This how you start a fire! Of course, LOX isn't UL.

In Editor's Roundtable » Winter Firebuilding Techniques (Video)
February 21, 12:43pm

Jim, trail travel will depend on snowpack. I don't own skis, so it will either be on foot or snowshoe. Sounds good. I also don't ski. That late in March could be in seasonal transiti...

February 21, 11:18am

Re: after the fact
it all seems a brilliant idea when you salivate over the spreadsheets ;) Indeed! (Too many;-) decades ago I knew a Soil Science PHD student who was doing research on the effects of different ...

In GEAR » Examples of "Stupid Light"
February 21, 11:11am

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am