BPL Community Profile

Rick Dreher (halfturbo) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Northernish California
About Me There once was a hiker from Nantucket....

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rick Dreher

Showing 271 - 280 of 1656 | Page: 1 ...19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ...166

Forum » Thread

Pentax Q, Q is for "Quirky"
Pentax has announced a tiny, interchangeable-lens camera system. It differs from other mirrorless systems in having a point & shoot-size imager, which certainly helps with the packaging but rai...

In Photography » Pentax Q, Q is for "Quirky"
June 23, 11:41am

Re: Nasty new mosquitos in Oregon
My sympathies. We caught the West Nile wave in California a few years back, and it was/is nasty. Killed a few, sickened far more and decimated several bird species. Our shiny future. Rick

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Nasty new mosquitos in Oregon
June 22, 11:08am

Re: Two new "mirrorless" bodies
And three more? The steady drip, drip of Oly ยต4/3 body rumors continues with three: an E-P2 replacement, E-PL2 replacement and the tiny new E-PM1, along with the new 45 and 12 primes. Official...

In Photography » Two new "mirrorless" bodies
June 21, 2:11pm

Re: Jam or Jam2
FWIW these pics look identical to my 2009 Jam 2, which only says "Jam" on the front. Don't know what the differences might be between it and the current pack. Cheers, Rick

In Gear Swap » FS: Golite Jam, L, Blue, Like New +
June 18, 9:33am

Re: Steripen Opti Batteries
Hi Daniel, The Steripen site leaves something to be desired, detailed infowise. Roger C. has tons of Steripen experience and knows battery tech, so he might be able to chime in. I believe he tes...

In GEAR » Steripen Opti Batteries
June 17, 1:17pm

Re: Steripen Opti Batteries
Hi Daniel, Do these differ from the RCR123s Steripen sells with their solar charging kit? If they have internal protection I'd think they'd be okay, but you'll probably want to conta...

In GEAR » Steripen Opti Batteries
June 17, 10:48am

Re: Move over titanium!
It does have a whiff of "cold fusion" about it, and the proof's in the pudding. You'll know it's real when you can buy a golf club of the stuff. Cheers, Rick

In Make Your Own Gear » Move over titanium!
June 17, 10:16am

Re: Need more lenes
How about a 45/1.8 Zuiko? http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-olympus-makes-it-right-45mm-f1-8-lens-coming-and-for-299-eurodollars-only/ The 25/1.4 could be a special lens if it's anywhere near a...

June 16, 1:01pm

Re: Two new "mirrorless" bodies
A GF3 video, which I can't understand a word of but it communicates the camera's size and basic functions quite well. Paired with the 14/2.5 lens it would be 10 ounces, directly competing a...

June 15, 5:23pm

Re: Amtrak / YARTS *and* bonus Tioga Pass info
Thanks Kristin, for the great summary and feedback. Just avoiding the joust out of the Bay Area in traffic would be worth it. Tioga Pass highway is slated to open this Saturday, for anybody inte...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » San Fran to Yosemite public trans
June 15, 4:52pm

All Reader Reviews by Rick Dreher

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Mountain Gear
I've placed a few orders with Mountain Gear, going as far back as when they were based in Idaho, and they've responded flawlessly each time. I admire the breadth and high quality of their sele...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 15, 2:03pm

Backcountrygear.com
I have to put in a plug for these folks, with whom I've shopped on line and over the phone, and who also have a store in soggy Eugene, Oregon. They have a great backpacking and climbing selection f...

November 20, 6:47pm

Recreational Equipment, Inc. (REI)
As another Seattle kid who loved few things more than pilgrammages to the Capitol Hill store, I still associate the smell of cresote with hiking gear. It's hard to imagine backpacking without REI. ...

November 20, 6:22pm

Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
I upgraded to the Micro Puff pullover after several seasons with the old Puffball pullover. Lighter, warmer, stuffs smaller--the Micro Puff is an all-around improvement to what was already a fine garm...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
November 12, 12:53pm

MSR Titan Kettle
Noting the shape isn't the most efficient for squeezing every btu from the stove, the MSR kettle remains a very good single-pot option. It packs nicely, works well with small to medium stoves, pours w...

In Cookware - Titanium
January 15, 12:17pm

MSR SimmerLite
I find the Whisperlite to be MSR's easiest liquid stove to use, and certainly the nicest to lug, bulk and weight-wise. Simmering performance is best with a light touch on the fuel pump--try using l...

In Stoves - White Gas
December 20, 11:46am

Golite Hex 3
I've used a Hex 2, the 3's somewhat smaller brother, with good success for a few seasons. The quarters are a little snug for six-footers, but it's a minor concern. My main complaint is that the ventil...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
November 28, 8:43pm