BPL Community Profile

Carol Crooker (cmcrooker) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Desert Southwest, USA
About Me I live and do a lot of my backpacking in the desert, but I LOVE the mountains of the west! I also get out to the east coast occasionally to backpack.
CityPhoenix
StateArizona
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListHammock, Lows to 40

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Carol Crooker

Showing 271 - 280 of 309 | Page: 1 ...12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Forum » Thread

SUL Challenge Gear List, dry camp
Hi all, I've listed my preliminary gear list for a dry camp on Mt Humphreys, AZ below. I'm expecting lows of 40-45 F and highs around 80. Hopefully, it'll rain (I miss rain here in Phoenix). Bas...

In Gear Lists » SUL Challenge Gear List, dry camp
July 07, 8:35am

Re: HOT weather hiking
Hi Paul, I swear by a long sleeved sun shirt and light weight pants. When I moved to Phoenix 9 years ago I quickly found that full coverage of my limbs was much less energy draining than shorts a...

In GEAR » HOT weather hiking
July 02, 10:56am

Mariposa and Starlite
Scott, I have the Mariposa and an older version of the Starlite (the Moonlite). Both are reviewed on BPL and BGT. The Moonlite was my favorite heavier base weight pack till I tried the Mariposa....

In GEAR » REI UL 45 pack
June 28, 6:42pm

TNF Propel
I have one. I've only had it out on one trip so far. The rating felt accurate to me. I like that it's long enough (standard size has lots of length for my 5'10" self). I have room to wear a puff...

In GEAR » Adventure racing
June 28, 1:24pm

Tilley
Hi Bill, Interesting stuff you're doing! When I bought my LT5 there wasn't an LT6. I wanted a full brimmed hat that held its shape in wind and rain and provided the same sun coverage in the fron...

In Make Your Own Gear » Super Light Weight - Make Your Own for an AT Thru-Hike
June 15, 6:37am

East Coast Scouters
You are welcome to post proposed changes to the Scout gear list to make it "East Coast ready" in the forum as well. We'll add it to the Scout gear list when it's ready.

In Editor's Roundtable » Boy Scouts and Lightweight Backpacking
June 11, 7:07am

Virga weight correction
Thanks for pointing out the Virga typo. It's fixed.

In Editor's Roundtable » Boy Scouts and Lightweight Backpacking
June 09, 8:53pm

Wearable Top Bag
JacksRBetter.com has a good idea along those lines: the No Sniveler quilt. It has a simple slit in the middle so you can wear it over your head like a poncho. They use a no scratch Velcro to clos...

In Multiple Use Gear » Multiple Use Sleeping Bags
June 07, 12:10pm

Sweet Spot: solo?
A side issue I've noticed, I find it easier to go lighter if I'm solo. Part of it is comfort envy - I don't miss my X piece of gear if I'm not sitting next to someone who has one. Part is that I'm...

In Philosophy & Technique » Sweet spot
June 06, 6:39am

Transparent Gear
Hi Tony, I was just getting a little poetic. The gear is there to help me enjoy the wilderness, not to be the focus of the trip, i.e. be transparent.

In Editor's Roundtable » SuperUltraLight: For the Masses?
June 04, 11:03pm

All Reader Reviews by Carol Crooker

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Coughlan's LED Clip-on Headlight
The Coughlan’s LED Clip-on Headlight is light weight, inexpensive and bright enough for around camp chores. The red filter is a nice feature to save night vision. I gave it a 3 of 5 because it was fru...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
August 07, 4:22pm

Coughlan's Micro Lantern
The Coughlan Micro Lantern is a tiny LED light shaped like a lantern. It has a clip ring on top so it can be hung from your tent zipper pull or the like. The light shines out in a 360 degree circle an...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
June 03, 5:16pm

Inov8 Terroc 330 - Men's
I love the way the Terrocs conform to my feet without needing to be tied too tightly. So - our feet are different or your Terrocs came laced differently than mine. Mine came with a heel locking lacing...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
June 27, 10:21pm

Wilderness First Aid Classes by WMI/NOLS
16 hour course on first aid in the backcountry. Lots of hands on scenarios for practice. The course I attended in AZ in May 2006 was taught by an EMT from Pennsylvania and an EMT/ski patroller from Co...

In First Aid and Survival Gear & Accessories
May 09, 1:06pm

Tilley LT5
Well I thought the LT5 was perfect until Ryan suggested it would be even better if it was lighter. But of course! And it's stylish too - at least we Tilley wearers think so. And Ryan, just slip on yo...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
August 02, 6:30am