BPL Community Profile

Carol Crooker (cmcrooker) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Desert Southwest, USA
About Me I live and do a lot of my backpacking in the desert, but I LOVE the mountains of the west! I also get out to the east coast occasionally to backpack.
CityPhoenix
StateArizona
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListHammock, Lows to 40

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Carol Crooker

Showing 271 - 280 of 294 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Forum » Thread

Cheating?
Hi David, If wearing clothes and shoes while hiking, and using trekking poles is cheating, I'm guilty! The 4.0 lbs of "Total Worn or Carried While Hiking” consists solely of clothes I’ll be w...

In Editor's Roundtable » SuperUltraLight: For the Masses?
May 31, 11:41pm

Diagonal length
Paul, Right you are. The two diagonals are 11' and 8' 9" from the numbers you listed. Exactly the reason the BMW tarp needs a rear pole to create more usable length.

May 26, 12:18pm

Staying dry switching from poncho to tarp
Paul, Ahh, I see. Thanks. Mark and Ryan's tarp setups are the same except that Ryan uses a rear pole to lift the center of one of the "Vee" edges (like the photo on the home page). I just played ...

May 26, 10:47am

Mark: Staying dry switching from poncho to tarp
Mark, Can you go into some more detail on your technique? What spots did you place the first 3 and second 2 stakes? Wrap guyline around poncho and pole?

May 26, 8:58am

Speer Top Blanket
Adam, Thanks! It's the Speer Top Blanket. I'll correct that in the article. It is narrow (about 30 inches). It works great in a hammock (review coming this summer). I picked it for my sub-5 trip...

May 25, 10:21am

sub 5 - I don't think so?
Paul, You have plenty of gear (as you mentioned) that you can drop to get to sub-5. It doesn't look like you "want" to. And that is an angle I want to explore. Is there really a reason to drop ...

May 25, 10:08am

sub 5 - I don't think so?
Paul, You have plenty of gear (as you mentioned) that you can drop to get to sub-5. It doesn't look like you "want" to. And that is an angle I want to explore. Is there really a reason to drop ...

May 25, 6:55am

Equinox Bivy
I used the original Equinox bivy for several years before I got a Vapr bivy. It's a great bivy. I never used a ground cloth with it in 3-seasons and never had any problems. I backpack a lot in t...

In GEAR » Has anyone used an Equinox bivy?
April 26, 12:18pm

FREE Larabars
Has anyone received their free sample Larabars yet? (See the phone number 3 posts previously). When your samples arrive, please post the results of your taste tests :) The Larabars were my second...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Energy Bars
April 26, 12:07pm

Yummm
Looks good, even if you leave out the Papaya juice :)

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Damn good jerky recipe
April 20, 6:38am

All Reader Reviews by Carol Crooker

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Coughlan's LED Clip-on Headlight
The Coughlan’s LED Clip-on Headlight is light weight, inexpensive and bright enough for around camp chores. The red filter is a nice feature to save night vision. I gave it a 3 of 5 because it was fru...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
August 07, 4:22pm

Coughlan's Micro Lantern
The Coughlan Micro Lantern is a tiny LED light shaped like a lantern. It has a clip ring on top so it can be hung from your tent zipper pull or the like. The light shines out in a 360 degree circle an...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
June 03, 5:16pm

Inov8 Terroc 330 - Men's
I love the way the Terrocs conform to my feet without needing to be tied too tightly. So - our feet are different or your Terrocs came laced differently than mine. Mine came with a heel locking lacing...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
June 27, 10:21pm

Wilderness First Aid Classes by WMI/NOLS
16 hour course on first aid in the backcountry. Lots of hands on scenarios for practice. The course I attended in AZ in May 2006 was taught by an EMT from Pennsylvania and an EMT/ski patroller from Co...

In First Aid and Survival Gear & Accessories
May 09, 1:06pm

Tilley LT5
Well I thought the LT5 was perfect until Ryan suggested it would be even better if it was lighter. But of course! And it's stylish too - at least we Tilley wearers think so. And Ryan, just slip on yo...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
August 02, 6:30am