BPL Community Profile

Bill Fornshell (bfornshell) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern Texas
About Me I have been a member here since 24 August, 2003.

I believe in SUL and Lighter, Backpacking, and make most of my own gear. If you have a question about something I have made you can read about most of it here or on my Blog.

http://ultraliteskunkworks.blogspot.com/

Please Note:

I don't make things for other people. Thanks for asking but the answer to all, is NO.
CitySan Antonio
StateTexas
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Bill Fornshell

Showing 271 - 280 of 1794 | Page: 1 ...19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ...180

Forum » Thread

Momentum weight - Quantum Weight
My Pertex swatch book lists 12 different style numbers for Quantum. the weight of each style is listed with the sample. They list a plus or minus of 2 grams per sq meter. The listed weight for th...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG - SUL 40° Quilt ??
February 07, 7:37pm

MYOG - SUL 40° Quilt ??
Hi Greg, You will not be happy with the results of the 4.5mm Habotai as it is not Down Proof. I also have tried both Thru-Hiker Down and the Down from Ed Speer. The Ed Speer Down seemed to h...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG - SUL 40° Quilt ??
February 05, 10:28pm

Pants and Shirt Pattern
Hi Steve, I have made pants out of the lightest Cuben. See my thread here at BPL: Cuben Fiber 1.2 oz Rain Pants - VB I only sew my Cuben projects, I don't use the tape.

In Make Your Own Gear » Pants and Shirt Pattern
February 04, 4:51pm

Cuben quilt...it's gotta be done
Hi Lynn, I am glad to see you are still working on this. I only sew my Cuben, no tape. I got some tape once and weighed it, it adds to much weight to the Cuben. I wasn't going to spend t...

In Make Your Own Gear » Cuban quilt...it's gotta be done
February 03, 8:09pm

Re: Re: brief survey of USGS Topo mapping GPS units
A question to both Johns. John Carter - When talking about the need for a ruler are you talking about the USGS maps that don't have the 1000 meter grid printed on them? John Shannon - I d...

In GEAR » brief survey of USGS Topo mapping GPS units
February 01, 4:55pm

Pot Handle / Pot Gripper
Your looks good, I did about the same thing a couple years ago. Mine weighs 13.3 grams. Complete instructions can be found on my thread. Mine is made out of some 1/32" aluminum like th...

In Make Your Own Gear » Pot Handle
January 30, 7:50am

Kao Wool Stove
That turned out really nice. Very clever use of materials. PS. After writing the above I followed the links and then looked at his profile. I looked at JUNICHI san's profile and saw he ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Kao Wool Stove
January 27, 10:02am

SUL Rigid Frame Packs
Hi Kevin, First don't worry about "taking over the thread". I am just glad someone else is trying to come up with a better idea for an external - hybrid frame. Their was a tim...

In Make Your Own Gear » SUL External Frame / 1-1-2009I started making another SUL External Pack Frame on New Years Day. My goal is a frame similar to the modified Harrier Frame I have been working on but that weighs closer to one pound or less. The old frame was made to carr
January 25, 9:52pm

Cuben/Momentum Bivy - Costs $
Erik, I bought my Cuben direct so at that time it only cost me about $17 a yard. I did have to buy 9 yards at a time. The Pertex Quantum cost about $16 a yard and I had to buy 5 yards. This...

In Make Your Own Gear » Cuben/Momentum Bivy
January 22, 9:38am

SUL Rigid Frame Packs
Hi Kevin, Thanks for posting the new pictures.The side pictures look like the frame follows the curve of your spine nice. If you recall some of the pictures on my original External Frame Thre...

In Make Your Own Gear » SUL External Frame / 1-1-2009I started making another SUL External Pack Frame on New Years Day. My goal is a frame similar to the modified Harrier Frame I have been working on but that weighs closer to one pound or less. The old frame was made to carr
January 21, 10:37pm

All Reader Reviews by Bill Fornshell

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BMW (BPL) UL 60 Balaclava
Cocoon UL 60 Balaclava - Multi-Purpose - 5/5 I have had my Cocoon Balaclava since they first shipped. When I got it I was in the middle of several things and just looked it over, put it on, bless...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
July 08, 10:08pm

OR (Outdoor Research)
During the planning for my AT Hike this coming January I got out my old OR Advanced Bivy. I had used it only a few times after I bought it about 10 years ago and wanted to have a good look at it set ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 29, 4:41pm

BackpackingLight.com Premium Membership
1. Being able to have a picture and a little information about us all and a possible way to send a private email to other members. 2. A list of all our replies to threads in date order. This alone ...

In Books and Media
October 27, 8:16pm

Patagonia Dragonfly pullover
I have to agree with everyone about the Patagonia DragonFly. I bought 2 on a close-out sale for $29.95 each. You can't hardly beat that for a really great piece of gear.

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
December 19, 9:22am