BPL Community Profile

Will Rietveld (WilliWabbit) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southwest Colorado
About Me Will Rietveld Ph.D, Senior Editor for Gear and Apparel, joined the BPL staff in April 2004. In his former career, Will was a research scientist, project manager, and R&D program administrator. Now retired, he lives in southern Colorado where he takes up a new career of backpacking year-round in the mountains and canyon country of the Southwest. During the summer months Will and his wife Janet are volunteer wilderness rangers in the Weminuche Wilderness. He has been a lightweight backpacker for 52 years and an ultralight backpacker for 13 years.
CityDurango
StateColorado
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://home.bresnan.net/~swultralight/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Will Rietveld

Showing 271 - 280 of 292 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Forum » Thread

Source for Fabric Overboots?
I'm looking for some fabric overboots that are not insulated. I have searched the web, but so far have not found anything besides Tyvek overboots used for cleaning and chemical safety. I want to we...

In GEAR » Source for Fabric Overboots?
April 14, 7:10am

Thanks to all who posted on GT shoes
Thanks everyone for all your input. For a recap, the input I have received from your posts and from other BPL staff is that the new GTX XCR shoes are in fact quite waterproof. The downside is that ...

In GEAR » How waterproof are your Gore-Tex boots/shoes?
March 22, 6:43am

How waterproof are your Gore-Tex boots/shoes?
Hi all. I am doing a project on "Lightweight Footwear Systems for Snow Travel", to be published here at BPL in early 2007. My question for you is: are so-called WP/B hiking boots/shoes (eg Gore...

In GEAR » How waterproof are your Gore-Tex boots/shoes?
March 19, 9:25am

Liberty Mountain
http://www.libertymtn.com/ LM is the US distributor for Vaude gear, and a lot of other things. However, LM sells to dealers and I don't believe you can purchase directly from LM. I checked their we...

In GEAR » Where to buy Vaude gear
February 20, 7:28pm

Re Bearikade fitting into 2006 Osprey Aether 60
Hi Rick, I don't have a Bearikade Weekender, but I have been using a container I made up that is the same size so I can check that. It goes in vertically and will turn 90 degrees when you get it to...

In GEAR » Osprey Aether 2006
December 16, 11:12am

Questions on 2006 Osprey Aether 60
Hi Tom, and others who have commented on my review of the new Aether 60. As far as removing and shortening straps, you may be able to shave off 3-4 ounces that way, but I don't personally advis...

In GEAR » Osprey Aether 2006
December 15, 9:43am

eVENT Shortie Gaiters
I would have to disagree with Kevin on the ID Shortie Gaiters. They are light, simple, and meet all my needs. I put over 1000 miles on them this past summer and found they worked great for me in...

In GEAR » Epic or Event gaiters - anyone make these?
November 22, 7:17am

New ULA Packs
Roger, I agree that the new ULA pack designs really look promising. ULA has been making packs for some time now, and the new packs should be ULA state-of-the-art. Brian has promised us a pack...

In GEAR » ULA New Packs for 2006
November 22, 7:00am

No problem
Hi Mike. I just did one, so have some recent experience. They are put on with hot glue, so all you have to do is remove the basket and insert the tip in a pan of boiling water for a few minutes to ...

In GEAR » Any idea how you change out pole tips?
November 11, 7:09am

Gear Closet Sale, Prices Reduced
I have several excess gear items that I would like to sell. All like new. All plus shipping. 1. Markill Hot Rod Titanium canister stove. 3.3 ounces with piezo ignition. $50. Now $40 2. Ultral...

In Gear Swap » Gear Closet Sale
June 14, 2:32pm

All Reader Reviews by Will Rietveld

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Integral Designs eVENT Shortie Gaiters
I have used these gaiters a lot and really like them. I don't mind their zipperless/Velcroless design, its lighter and simpler. I have size L. For me, they fit very well over mid or full height boo...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
April 23, 8:09am

Six Moon Designs Comet
The new Comet backpack has removeable aluminum stays which allow it to be used as either a frameless or internal frame pack. Without stays it weighs 22 oz and with stays it weighs 27 oz. The Comet ...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 03, 7:50pm

Lighten Up! by Don Ladigin
I just got this book and its superb! As I paged through the book, I kept saying yes, right on, perfect, exactly! Don presents the UL gospel clearly and concisely, and the illustrations by Mike Clellan...

In Books and Media
August 03, 7:36pm

Gossamer Gear Fire-fly
The Fire-fly is a real lightweight stove made by mo-go-gear and sold by Gossamer Gear. The whole kit weighs 1.5 ounces and includes the burner, pot stand, windscreen, and heat reflector. The open j...

In Stoves - Alcohol
August 03, 7:24pm