BPL Community Profile

Kevin Babione (KBabione) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pennsylvania
About Me I live near Lancaster PA and do most of my backpacking in the central and north-central parts of the state.
CityLititz
StatePA
CountryUnited States

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Kevin Babione

Showing 271 - 280 of 614 | Page: 1 ...19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ...62

Forum » Thread

Theft of Camping Gear
We car camp a lot and have never had a problem with anything missing - not even firewood. If you're really concerned you can do what my sister does. She car camps alone a lot but always puts ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Theft of camping gear
June 06, 12:47pm

SUL Rain Chaps
I have a pair of the Mountain Laurel Designs chaps that weigh 43 grams (1.5 ounces). They're not fancy but they are effective in keeping your legs dry. You do need to make sure you're wea...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » SUL rain pants/chaps (not skirts)
June 04, 8:35am

UL Mosquito Net for Hammocking
I have the dp Hammock bug net. It weighs less than an ounce and works pretty well. At $12.95 (and they usually have them in stock) it might be worth a try for you. One thing I've learned...

In GEAR » UL mosguito net for hammock
May 31, 11:36am

Keeping Chocolate From Melting
When I take my 5 year-old twins out on the trail we're "required" to have s'mores. I take the flat Hershey bars (Special Dark is their preference) and put them in the coozie that...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Chocolate that doesn't melt?
May 31, 5:11am

The Packa and Stuff Sacks
One of the other steps I've taken since moving to The Packa is that I eliminated several of the dry bags I used to use for my top quilt and underquilt (I usually sleep in a hammock). That'...

In GEAR » Pack Cover Weight vs Wet Pack ??
May 29, 10:59am

The Packa in eVent
I have one in eVent that works really well. I'm a big guy and I generate a lot of heat (read "sweat") while hiking. The huge pit zips on the Packa give as much ventilation as possib...

May 29, 6:59am

Pack Cover Weight vs Wet Pack
The back pad getting soaked is one fo the reasons that I went with The Packa as my raingear/pack cover. One of my buddies was using the rain shell/pack cover combination in an all day rain and the...

May 28, 6:05am

BIAS Weight Weenie Micro Hammock
I spent this past weekend hiking 23 miles of the Mid State Trail (from I-80 southbound to Woodward Gap Road for those of you who know the trail). The weather was spectacular and it gave me a chanc...

In Hammocks » BIAS Weight Weenie Micro Hammock
May 24, 8:59am

Bay to Beach - 60 Miles with an 8 Year Old
Great post and photos. I'm the father of four daughters (21, 17, and 5 year-old twins). I've taken all of them on weekend trips but nothing approaching 60 miles. It's inspiring and y...

In Post-Trip Reports » B2B - Bay to Beach - 60 miles with my 8 year old daughter
May 21, 1:28pm

Welcome to PA
Greg, Welcome to PA! Where are you? We have some great hiking in PA - including some trails that might be really good training runs for you. I spent the weekend with some friends on the Mid...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » AT - Four State Challenge
May 21, 7:05am

All Reader Reviews by Kevin Babione

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Montbell Extremely Light Down Jacket
I'm a big guy and have the Ex Light in XXL - weighs 7.8 ounces. In addition to being a great piece of insulation to wear I've found that I can use it in my hammock as an extra top quilt by op...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
January 03, 1:42pm

Lighten Up! by Don Ladigin
I just finished reading the book - it's an enjoyable and quick read. I've got two weekend trips planned this spring with guys who have never backpacked in their lives. I'm passing the bo...

In Books and Media
March 28, 5:52am