Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Eric Blumensaadt (Danepacker) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Mojave Desert
About Me Retired H.S. teacher, 10 yr. Nat'l Nordic Ski Patroller, fmr. XC racer, Army ROTC winter survival instructor, hunter, backpacker, former ACA moving water canoeing instructor, sea kayaker.
FINALLY have become a lightweight (not UL)backpacker.
CityHenderson
StateNevada
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Eric Blumensaadt

Showing 2681 - 2690 of 4329 | Page: 1 ...260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 ...433

Forum » Thread

Synthetic insulations
ALL synthetic insulations lose loft over time much faster than down. Climashield is one of the very best synthetics at retaining its loft. My experience with the 1st generation Primaloft was po...

In Make Your Own Gear » Does Climashield flatten?
March 24, 10:23pm

Bottles of water in winter
Tony, I'd recommend carrying yer water bottles upside down in winter to keep the water at the lid from freezing. Personally in winter I carry my water in a bota under my GTX mountain park...

In GEAR » Where's the best spot to carry water?
March 24, 10:09pm

Verrrrry interesting...
Having just purchased a CC Sidewinder I'd like to know as well. So far my sidewinder has amazed me with its ESBIT and wood burning efficiency. My REAL question is (all variables being equal...

In GEAR » Caldera Cone - efficiency comparision between different designs
March 24, 10:01pm

FLAX seed PB??
Sarah, I'll try it but how could it taste like peanut butter? BTW, let me take this opportunity to thank you for "Freezerbag Cooking". That little book has made backpacking meals f...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » JMT Food PDF
March 24, 9:52pm

AHA!
Laurie, great shots of the fisher"man" and his fish. I recognize that stove as my car camping/winter backcountry touring MSR Dragonfly. You can bake with the Dragonfly B/C it simmer...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Fish stew
March 24, 9:42pm

Thanks
LAurie. I had some curry paste that went rancid in 6 months while still sealed in its plastic packet. I'll still use based on your recommendations about its better taste it but refrigerate i...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » CURRY: paste v.s. powder
March 24, 9:35pm

Hammock?
What's a hammock??

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What's Your View Towards Hammocks?
March 24, 9:20pm

One reason only...
That one reason I'd abandon my gear is if I met a beautiful supermodel of a woman who said she'd marry me if I gave up backpacking. (I think...) No, a super rich woman won't do it. B...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Under what conditions would you abandon your gear?
March 24, 9:15pm

Windscreen...
The best "windscreen" I know of is a Caldera Cone. It may take your Cat Can but comes with an alky stove and Gram Cracker ESBIT holder. The CC is the most efficient setup I've seen fo...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » cat can stove at altitude
March 24, 9:10pm

Wheeler Peak and Mt. Moriah
Try the eastern Humboldt-Toiyabe area. Wheeler Peak is in the Great Basin Nat'l. Park and Mt. Moriah is just north of it. Be SURE to visit Mt.Moriah after all danger of avalanche has passed...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest
March 24, 9:02pm

All Reader Reviews by Eric Blumensaadt

Showing 1 - 10 of 30 | Page: 1 2 3

Review

Category

Trail designs SideWinder
The Trail Designs Sidewinder is an "alternative" fuel stove that is a 3 fuel stove. I.e. it can burn alcohol, ESBIT tablets or wood. What's more it is highly efficient at all of these...

In Cookware - Other
June 18, 1:41am

Trail Designs SideWinder for AGG 2qt pot
My 3 cup Open Country pot is the perfect size for solo camping. It fits in the Sidewinder ti stove and using ESBIT with a modified Gram Cracker tablet holder (BGET) IMHO this is the perfect size sto...

In Stoves - Other
June 08, 2:06am

Tarptent Scarp 2
I purchased the Scarp 2 SPECIFICALLY for 4 season use. I knew I would modifiy it for winter use when I purchased it. The Scarp 2 is my 3rd Tarptent, following a Contrail and Moment SW. Like them it...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
November 02, 8:09pm

Allen and Mike's Backcountry Ski Book
"Allen & Mike's Really Cool Backcountry Ski Book" is the very best book on teh eop I have ever read - and I've read most of them in the last 40 years of backcountry skiing and ca...

In Books and Media
October 24, 8:01pm

REI Kimtah
Recently got the REI Kimtah eVent parka and on a Ruby Mountains, Nevada backpack found it to be as good a wind jacket as it is a rain parka. The sale price was $159.95 which is 30% off the regular ...

In Clothing - Raingear
October 03, 1:45am

Eddie Bauer Down Sweater
I purchased an Eddie Bauer Down Sweater (their term) on sale this summer for $89. It was reviewed by Will Riveted in his extensive articles of light down jackets and got a favorable, "middle-o...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
October 27, 8:15pm

Thermarest Trail Pro Regular
I won my Trail Pro regular at a Sierra Club Outings leaders training seminar, otherwise I would not have spent the money B/C I seldom car camp. But now I have an alternative for a winter ski camping m...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
May 03, 9:56pm

Brunton Crux
I bought the Brunton Flex because of its wider burner ring for better heat distribution so I wouldn't get a hot spot on the bottom of my pot when cooking. I was not aware that there was a Brunt...

In Stoves - Canister
January 29, 9:38pm

tarptent moment
I give the Moment a "5" because I feel it is currently the best solo single wall tent design. It has great quality, innovative design and excellent attention to detail. My previous solo ...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
December 24, 12:52pm

Carbelas GORE-TEX® PacLite® Rainy River Parka
Cabela's Rainy River GTX PacLite parka (and pants) are THE bargain in good quality, lightweight, breathable rainwear at the 2010 regular $99. price. The Taslanized fabric is a matte finish, unlike...

In Clothing - Raingear
August 08, 12:10am