BPL Community Profile

Tom Lyons (towaly) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Smoky Mtns.
About Me Likes the outdoors.
StateTN
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Lyons

Showing 261 - 270 of 299 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Forum » Thread

Re:
I use a WM Alpinlite 20*F bag, which has the same rating as the Ultralite. It can be used in warmer temps by unzipping or opening it up as you suggest. Above 50*F, I move to using my liner bag,...

In GEAR » Three-season bag vs. 40 degree bag+liner
October 17, 6:25am

Re: thanks
How tall are you? Theres no hood on the Montbell Thermal Sheet, so there's a little bit of fudge factor in the length. If it's an inner bag, then it doesn't have to close around your n...

October 16, 3:27pm

I don't think so
If you search old topics, you'll find that the consensus here is that the S2S Reactor is over-stated in its capabilities, and probably is only good for 5 degrees more, like a light fleece liner...

October 16, 12:06pm

agree
I agree with small and light. It's harder to do that during the winter weather or colder weather, but in the summer I have been getting the bulk down to a very small level. In the summer I do...

In GEAR » Backpacking....small
October 14, 7:00am

both good, but make sure you're warm enough in it
I would guess that at your height/weight, you could fit in either one fine. As for "3 season", unless your 3 seasons are near the equator somewhere, I'd be skeptical of calling any...

In GEAR » Three Seasons Bag Dilema
October 13, 8:46am

2 cents
I think it is becoming clear by the prevalence in the market of the types of tarps typified by these modified "half-mid" systems(with or without beaks), that they are highly desirable for...

In GEAR » MLD Trailstar. The most versatile shelter?
October 09, 8:39am

VBL
My opinion is that success of the VBL is highly dependent on the user to appropriately insulate for the conditions, and also to adjust insulation techniques to suit changing conditions. That's...

In GEAR » views on vapor barriers
October 09, 8:24am

VBL
I found that using a wicking base layer under the VBL is good for comfort. Light base layer for normal temps or heavy base layer in cold temps. The KEY to the VBL system is to be able to adjust...

In GEAR » CloudLiner VB
October 08, 9:28am

Try your bag as a quilt
Your Summerlight bag has continuous baffles, so you can just unzip it 3/4 of the way down, flip it so the open zipper is under the bottom, and use it like a quilt. The lowest 1/4 of the bag can sta...

In GEAR » What are you thrashing, tossn' and turn'n sleepers sleeping in?
September 30, 9:20am

Re:
I haven't hiked in leather-soled moccasins, but I've spent many years walking around in them. Mostly I wore 2-layer sole types. Very comfortable and pretty light weight. If you step on a ...

In GEAR » Leather soled shoes (mocs) and hiking?
September 29, 6:05am

All Reader Reviews by Tom Lyons

Tom Lyons has posted no reviews.