BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 261 - 270 of 5445 | Page: 1 ...18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ...545

Forum » Thread

Re: A Visual Paradigm for Windshirts - Multiple Axis of Understanding.-Rev 0
How important are ALL four components? We can't have everything at the same time -- or you can't have your cake and eat it too :) For me (1)breathability and then(2)durable are most...

In GEAR » A Visual Paradigm for Windshirts - Multiple Axis of Understanding.-Rev 0
February 25, 8:50pm

Re: New gear list, nothing fancy
If you do enough trips with only a poncho/tarp and no bivy, you will eventually be in weather with a soaked sleeping bag or quilt. The poncho/tarp is just too small. When you move to 8' X 10...

In Gear Lists » New gear list, nothing fancy
February 25, 8:28pm

Re: 1 oz, Durable* Cook kit
Jeremy, Your efforts are commendable. In the field, I have found that I want at least a 16 ounce volume pot. It is hard to beat a Caldera Cone system and I find it very durable with 100's...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » 1 oz, Durable* Cook kit
February 25, 8:09pm

Re: Golden Eagle eating deer that mountain lion killed
WOW!

In Photography » Golden Eagle eating deer that mountain lion killed
February 25, 7:42pm

Re: Has anyone here switched to a quilt and liked it LESS than a regular sleeping bag?
I am sure many dislike quilts. You might try what I did years ago, buy an inexpensive, light, synthetic quilt here in gear swap. I bought a BPL Cocoon 60 quilt pretty cheap. Only weighs about 12 ou...

In GEAR » Has anyone here switched to a quilt and liked it LESS than a regular sleeping bag?
February 17, 8:37am

Re: "When your pants are kinda heavy..."
Not that heavy to worry about it. My Rail Riders Eco-Mesh pants weigh 10 ounces including the belt. Comfort, function, and durability trump weight.

In GEAR » "When your pants are kinda heavy..."
February 16, 9:44pm

Re: Re: Re: Eddie Bauer bought out
I don't own any EB, but maybe I will when they have a 2 for 1 sale and two free neckties.

In GEAR » Eddie Bauer bought out
February 16, 5:21pm

Re: Re: McHale
I have two McHales, and for almost every 3 season trip I take with them my base weight is under 10 lbs, which the pundits here say is UL. So these MUST be UL packs. Which, I suppose, is Dan's &...

In GEAR » What Dan McHale has to say about UL backpacks
February 16, 5:05pm

Re: Re: Return dilemma
One other thing... I think people who grab extra condiments at fast food joints are thousands of times more in the wrong than someone who would return this bivy. Let your conscience guide your a...

In GEAR » Return dilemma
February 14, 4:59am

Re: Return dilemma
When OP bought this I am sure there was no documentation or conversation that the PU coating would last xx number of years. He used the item 8 times. It is not unreasonable for the average consume...

In GEAR » Return dilemma
February 14, 4:46am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am