BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 261 - 270 of 1855 | Page: 1 ...18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ...186

Forum » Thread

Re: Which cannonballs should I be looking at?
Jardine deserves credit for the public exposure that his books provided for UL. A lot of what he advocates is pure gold. However I was put off by the cult of personality surrounding the guy and...

In GEAR » Which cannonballs should I be looking at?
February 18, 12:05pm

Re: Overnight on the Wisconsin Peninsula
Nice idea for a trip Travis! One question ... how much fiddling did it require to get that drumhead tight pitch on your trailstar using deadmen? OK, a second question ... I see several state...

In Post-Trip Reports » Overnight on the Wisconsin Peninsula
February 17, 4:35pm

Re: Thermometers
It's always smart to check the functional temperature range for digital thermometers to see if they are suitable for your climate. The Accutite is good from -4F to +158F ... probably desirab...

In GEAR » thermometer
February 17, 2:24pm

Re: The begining of the rest of my life.
Look into Eustace Conway and an internship at Turtle Island Preserve. Hmmm, seems like Turtle Island is currently closed due to not meeting building code and health regulations in Watauga Coun...

In Pre-Trip Planning » The begining of the rest of my life.
February 17, 10:27am

Re: Hoks on the SHT
they are more efficient on traversing tight rolling terrain than snowshoes. just be aware while the SHT does have some stretches of "light rolling terrain" you'll want to choose ch...

In Winter Hiking » Altai Hok on SHT
February 12, 5:31pm

Re: thermocrons
Note that the "cheapest one" that Rob found is not a data logging ibutton ... it provides instantaneous readings and needs to be connected via a "1-wire network" to a device tha...

In GEAR » thermometer
February 12, 7:12am

Re: Another Tarp Reinforcement Question
Hi Tyler, Warning, shameless plug ... If you were an "M" level member or are willing to pay the per-article fee you'd find some helpful hints here But you are on the right tra...

In Make Your Own Gear » Another Tarp Reinforcement Question
February 10, 1:31pm

Re: My NeoAir adventures.
I can add my own neoair story to Peter's In chronological order: neoair small I wasn't gonna spend that much $$ without losing weight from the prolite small I was using. Still own i...

In GEAR » My NeoAir adventures.
February 09, 10:47am

Re: Want To BORROW "beginner" flat tarp
+1 for using cheap blue tarps dor your first few dates with tarping ... that's how I started

In Gear Swap » Want To BORROW "beginner" flat tarp
February 07, 6:35pm

Re: REI is F.O.S.?
note: this is not a comment about the law titled "Affordable Care Act (I refuse to use the O____care word) I allow that others might not have the same sensibilities as myself but isn't ...

In Chaff » REI is F.O.S.?
February 07, 6:01pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am