November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Rick Dreher (halfturbo) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Northernish California
About Me There once was a hiker from Nantucket....

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rick Dreher

Showing 261 - 270 of 1656 | Page: 1 ...18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ...166

Forum » Thread

Re: Rae Lakes Water Crossings
FWIW last week's blazing heat has throttled back considerably, which will 1. slow the meltoff (boo) and 2. lower stream flows (yay, unless you're a kayaker). This pattern is supposed to hol...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Rae Lakes Loop
July 11, 5:57pm

Re: UL Creatures
Ooh, I've never come across a three-color king. Here's a foothill edition, more of a li'l prince snake. Cheers, Rick

In Photo Gallery » UL Creatures
July 09, 5:02pm

Re: NeoAir Vs. NeoAir Trekker
Don't know if this helps, but the Trekker is made of heavier/more durable materials and dispenses with the reflective layer, giving it a slightly lower R-value (2.0 vs. 2.5). Having fiddled wit...

In GEAR » NeoAir Vs. NeoAir Trekker
July 07, 4:38pm

Re: Maybe Caffin can chime in
"From what I have read / hear the Neo Air regular does appear to be as warm as promised." I have an original model, short, which does seem as warm as promised. Once I figured out the c...

In GEAR » Neoair vs. Neoair All Season
July 07, 3:54pm

Re: NeoAir All Season Impressions
Thanks Steve, very interesting [trailspace link]. So a flat all-season has an R-value of 1.5? Whodathunk! Cheers, Rick

July 07, 11:44am

Re: Looking for XZ-1 carry options/opinions
Hi Mark, I carry an LX3 in a Lowepro Ridge 30 attached to the shoulder strap. It rides atop the waist belt so is pretty accessible on the go. I'd prefer a flap closure to the zipper, but you...

In Photography » Looking for XZ-1 carry options/opinions
July 07, 11:33am

Re: Are R-Values Stackable?
Would flattened reflective layers provide any insulation whatever? I'd guess the conductive heatloss will overwhelm any benefits from IR reflection. Cheers, Rick

July 06, 3:50pm

Re: Neoair vs. Neoair All Season
Hi Ben, It seems likely they added baffling to reduce cell size and convection loss. Perhaps they added another reflective layer as well, but I wonder how much effect that could have on R-value ...

July 06, 10:16am

Re: Sad news
Gosh, terrible news indeed. My thoughts are with their family and friends. Rick

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Mystery surrounds case of missing Colorado hikers (BPL Hiker)
July 02, 7:41pm

Re: I don't get it
Hi Greg, Yes, a head-scratcher. I do think it's a prestige item aimed primarily at the domestic market and not at advanced amateurs--literally something folks will want because it's cool...

In Photography » Pentax Q, Q is for "Quirky"
June 28, 10:22am

All Reader Reviews by Rick Dreher

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 | Page: 1

Mountain Gear
I've placed a few orders with Mountain Gear, going as far back as when they were based in Idaho, and they've responded flawlessly each time. I admire the breadth and high quality of their sele...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 15, 2:03pm
I have to put in a plug for these folks, with whom I've shopped on line and over the phone, and who also have a store in soggy Eugene, Oregon. They have a great backpacking and climbing selection f...

November 20, 6:47pm

Recreational Equipment, Inc. (REI)
As another Seattle kid who loved few things more than pilgrammages to the Capitol Hill store, I still associate the smell of cresote with hiking gear. It's hard to imagine backpacking without REI. ...

November 20, 6:22pm

Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
I upgraded to the Micro Puff pullover after several seasons with the old Puffball pullover. Lighter, warmer, stuffs smaller--the Micro Puff is an all-around improvement to what was already a fine garm...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
November 12, 12:53pm

MSR Titan Kettle
Noting the shape isn't the most efficient for squeezing every btu from the stove, the MSR kettle remains a very good single-pot option. It packs nicely, works well with small to medium stoves, pours w...

In Cookware - Titanium
January 15, 12:17pm

MSR SimmerLite
I find the Whisperlite to be MSR's easiest liquid stove to use, and certainly the nicest to lug, bulk and weight-wise. Simmering performance is best with a light touch on the fuel pump--try using l...

In Stoves - White Gas
December 20, 11:46am

Golite Hex 3
I've used a Hex 2, the 3's somewhat smaller brother, with good success for a few seasons. The quarters are a little snug for six-footers, but it's a minor concern. My main complaint is that the ventil...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
November 28, 8:43pm