BPL Community Profile

John Vance (Servingko) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Intermountain West
About Me Thru hiked the PCT in 1983 and half of the CDT in 84. Backpacking since 1973 when I did my first 50 miler as a scout. Total gear nut and have dropped from a base weight of 35lbs to 10 - 12lbs and love spending time in the mountains even more. I typically get out for 2 week long trips and several weekend trips each year.
CitySalt Lake City
StateUtah
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Vance

Showing 261 - 270 of 471 | Page: 1 ...18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ...48

Forum » Thread

Drafts
I have a Sawatch and just got a Palisade in the mail yesterday. I don't use the cords attached to the pad and haven't had any draft issues. I do use some light bungee cord in the tabs whi...

In GEAR » 15 degree bag for 3-three season in the PNW?
April 29, 12:41pm

HG Summer Burrow
I had not seen the HG Summer Burrow. Wow, a fully baffled summer quilt for $200. Very nice if the 48" width will work for you.

In GEAR » new PHD Designs quilt
April 28, 10:03am

Gram Weenies
We used to be known in the Roadie world as "gram weenies", and this sick ailment has taken a greater hold on me with backpacking equipment. The only positive thing is that generally back...

In GEAR » This would be great if we had it for backpacking gear
April 27, 11:12am

Sol vs Sol Ti
I admit they got me on the 2oz vs 1oz actual weight difference. I am less interested what difference, if any, exists between boil time of the alu vs ti pot, and more between the cozy and the bond ...

In GEAR » JetBoil Sol - TI vs. AL
April 27, 10:31am

Shell Moisture
Most high quality shell materials will shed a fair amount of "dew" and keep the insulation dry. However, if you stuff your damp bag and leave it all day, there will be some transfer of t...

In GEAR » Morning dew on a sleeping bag?
April 27, 9:52am

Tiny House Project
We lived in a rather "tiny" house by U.S. standards (900 sq ft) for nearly a decade and I like the concept of something even smaller. I will begin building a tiny house hopefully by the ...

In Chaff » Tiny house anyone?
April 26, 9:30am

Belt Removal
It very easy, just separate the velcro and slide it out with your hand between the hook and loop. Just reverse the procedure for going in. As I think about it, if you added the matching velcro to...

In GEAR » SMD Traveler/Starlite hipbelt - easy to remove and replace?
April 25, 1:30pm

SMD Packs
I owned both the Swift (10) and the Starlite, but just sold and shipped the Starlite on Friday. The Starlight is larger but the Swift holds enough for me to go 10 days without resupply. Both are ...

In GEAR » pack recommendations
April 25, 9:49am

Personal Items
I carry many more items than most but they are in very small containers and I bring just enough to last until I can resupply. Toothpaste, Dr Bronners peppermint, mineral oil, alcohol wipes, a smal...

In GEAR » toiletries... what do you take?
April 24, 1:32pm

+1 Treating
I too have been treating the water first so that I don't need to bring it to a "rolling boil", just to the point of boiling. Much more fuel efficient and time saving.

In GEAR » Is one large boil more fuel efficient than two small?
April 23, 7:33pm

All Reader Reviews by John Vance

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Chisos
This is from previous posts but I thought I would include it here as well. I received my Chisos with 2oz overfill and just wanted to update those waiting to hear a little more about my initial imp...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 06, 11:48am

Katabatic Gear Sawatch
I know I only have spent 4 nights using my Katabatic Sawatch, I wanted to get a review out for those interested that I have posted elsewhere on this site but not in the review area. I can say thi...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 10, 10:18am

Six Moon Designs Swift10
Now that I have some miles on my 2010 Swift I thought I would prepare a more thorough review. I have been using a 2006 SMD Starlight for the past few years and really love it coming from a brief stin...

In Backpacks - Frameless
June 10, 10:09am

Kookabay Custom Down Air Mattress (DAM)
I recently my pad from Bender yesterday and have to say I am impressed. The seams and sealing is very consistent, straight, and even. My custom pad used the standard 70d fabric and is 24" wide, 6...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 22, 11:08am