BPL Community Profile

Tom Lyons (towaly) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Smoky Mtns.
About Me Likes the outdoors.
StateTN
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Lyons

Showing 251 - 260 of 299 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: That does it
No, not really. You have to pay close attention to your insulation layering with any VBL when doing any activity, or you will sweat alot. So, it takes some getting used to. The whole key to it i...

In GEAR » How effective are Cozies?
February 22, 12:10pm

Re: That does it
I have made a Reflectix vest by just cutting out the pieces in the desired pattern and using duct tape to hold it together. I've made booties the same way.

In GEAR » How effective are Cozies?
February 22, 9:07am

Re.
IMO, if you are using a double-walled shelter, I can't really see the utility in a bivy with that situation. However, there can be some utility in layering the insulation. Some people use...

In GEAR » help finding a lightweight, warm bag for my wife
February 22, 4:49am

I wouldn't be mad about 5%.
In fact, it is common knowledge that certain WM bags are slightly heavier than advertised, and even a little more than 5% in the case of the Versalite. It wouldn't bother me. An under-stuff...

In GEAR » gear weights
February 21, 5:56pm

VBL
If you wear a VBL(vapor barrier layer) under your insulation layer, then you won't have any condensation to really worry about. It will all be contained inside your VBL layer, and won't imp...

In GEAR » What to wear *inside* a blizzard bag
February 21, 2:45pm

You're fine for a lot of pitches with that size tarp
I think with that size tarp, you should be dry in most any weather conditions that don't have driving sideways rain. That's a plenty big tarp. I like the half-mid pitch, but as I said, w...

In GEAR » Pitch options for rectangular tarp?
February 21, 2:27pm

VBL
Use a VBL sac or VBL clothing inside the bag, and you don't need to worry about whether it is breathable.

In GEAR » AMK Escape Bivy breathable
November 17, 8:19am

Riksak
I use the GG Riksak, which I think is 15 liters. Weights 2 ounces. Carries what I need.

In GEAR » Lets talk pack space/size
October 20, 10:04am

Riksak
I use the 2 ounce GG Riksak. No pockets on it, but it holds enough for me. It's approximately 15" long and 8" diameter when it's full-stuffed. I found if I need more room than t...

In GEAR » Which ~8-10 oz packs am I overlooking?
October 18, 5:19am

Humidity
The moisture is in the air. It condenses on everything that gets cool, no matter what it is. It's not all associated with your body moisture or breath. I have a vintage motorcycle that I lea...

In GEAR » Condensation and ground cloth use with tarp (Gatewood Cape)
October 17, 6:35am

All Reader Reviews by Tom Lyons

Tom Lyons has posted no reviews.