BPL Community Profile

Scott Bentz (scottbentz) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me I live in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. I can get to a lot of nice hiking areas right from my street or travel for 15 minutes to higher elevations in the Angeles National Forrest. I started packing again with my sons in their Boy Scout troop. I was definitely not light that first trip 6 years ago and have been reducing my pack weight ever since. I mainly pack a few times a year in the Eastern and Western Sierras.
My PDF Gear ListNorth Lake South Lake 2012

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Scott Bentz

Showing 251 - 260 of 426 | Page: 1 ...17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ...43

Forum » Thread

Calorie Deficit Question
I am just finishing putting together food for my JMT trip in mid August. 14 days including rest day. It's an average of about 19 miles a day. We will resupply at Vermilion and Muir Ranch. A ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Calorie Deficit Question
August 05, 11:14am

Miox
A friend of mine used a Miox water purifier once on a trip with 7 scouts and it let us down. Too much fiddle factor. Chlorine Dioxide much easier, or depending upon where you hike, don't treat ...

In Gear Lists » My General 3 Season Gear List
August 04, 6:22pm

Sponsored and Supported Atempts
"prediction : As the sponsors move into the trail record game, the rules will become more formalized." I can just see it now, just like the Tour de France. Burros following the runner...

In GEAR » John Muir Trail Record???
August 04, 4:49pm

Gatewood Cape or Golite Poncho/Tarp Bivy?
I have a Gatewood Cape and it is also a Poncho Tarp. I have used it often without a bivy but, if rain were a constant I would certainly use a bivy for splatter. That way you can keep a bit more air...

In GEAR » Gatewood Cape or Golite Poncho/Tarp & Bivy?
August 04, 12:42pm

No, but who am I to say?
The one time I actually opened a space blanket was during a storm. I was with a group of scouts and we left our gear at a base camp to hike up to Mt. Baden Powell and back. On the way down the cond...

In GEAR » Should I bother with a space blanket?
August 04, 12:35pm

Wet Feet/Shoes
What I like to do is approach a stream crossing, then sit down on a nice boulder and remove my leather hiking boots, wool socks and sock liners. I then put on a new pair of socks and my stream cros...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Stream crossings with one pair of shoes?
August 03, 4:21pm

Gear List
Go to the Gear List section of the website. Many, many JMT ideas. Mine is posted under my profile. I am resupplying 2 times. Once at Vermillion (with a day layover) and Muir Trail Ranch. North to S...

In GEAR » JMT -- MediumPacking
August 02, 12:05pm

Compactor Bag Sizes
What size bags are you using? I was at a Ralphs the other day and the only one's they had seemed to big for our packs (GG Mariposa Plus, Homemade G4, Exos 58 and Gregory Z Pack). The bag said t...

In GEAR » Scented Trash Compactor Bag
July 31, 7:00pm

Macho Men
I think the thought is that a heavier pack means you are more macho than the next guy. A heavy pack doesn't feel all that heavy in your living room. After all, you do have a chair, 3 changes of...

In Philmont » Cooking Systems
July 31, 6:52pm

3,500 CU
I have never seen or worn an Ohm, however, I used a GG Mariposa Plus on my trek last year. The Mariposa Plus has 2,800 cubic inches in the main compartment and including the outside pockets it has ...

In Philmont » ULA Ohm for Philmont
July 24, 11:59am

All Reader Reviews by Scott Bentz

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

MSR MIOX
We used a MSR Miox on a trip with 9 people (Scouts). We got very spotty results and ended up playing with the unit more than we wanted. It seemed like the perfect solution but was not worth the wait. ...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
June 03, 5:04pm