BPL Community Profile

Ryan Faulkner (ryanf) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Mid atlantic, No. Cal
About Me My name is Ryan Faulkner, i am 17 years old, and have been UL backpacking for about 7 years. I have been inspired by hikers like Andrew Skurka, and Ryan Jordan, and have dedicated my trips to going light and fast.
I plan on hiking the PCT and AT before finishing college, and after I hope to get some sort of a career in the backpacking industry.(I havent quite figured out how exactly, but i will :)
I have some big plans for the future, but ill keep those quiet for now ;-P
StateVirginia
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.ryanfaulknerphotography.com
My PDF Gear ListWinds-Yellowstone Trek 2008

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Ryan Faulkner

Showing 251 - 260 of 916 | Page: 1 ...17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ...92

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: UL Eye for the Overburdened Guy
I was carrying 40 pounds a year ago. then for about 6 months I narrowed it down to 20 by myself, then found BPL. I cant beleive that I am now carring under 3 pounds for a summer fast pack. when les...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » UL Eye for the Overburdened Guy
March 21, 4:01pm

Re: Lightweight gear for Scout troop
Phil, Want to check out my 3.5lb gearlist. thats what this young scout uses :-) just kidding, I dont think anyone else my age would go this light without complaining. I like that you are ...

In Gear Lists » Lightweight gear for Scout troop
March 20, 4:42pm

Re: another SUL list and, what?
Anon, I like the minimalist fastpacking list. It could use some work, I just posted a minimal gearlist for the same weight including in clothing, a full wind suit, a full extra base layer, warm...

In Gear Lists » SuperUltralight 3 Season Gear List
March 20, 4:26pm

Minimalist/ XUL/ 3 season gear list
Here is a very usable gear list that(with similar gear) has worked for me comfortably without a sleepingbag down to 45 degrees and if I want to go 35-40 (or extreme of 30 with assistance of leaves ...

In Gear Lists » Minimalist/ XUL/ 3 season gear list
March 20, 4:16pm

Re: windproof fleece jacket/pants effectiveness
Well... what wil you be needing it for? the fleece will be an insulation layer. If all you want is the wind resistance,I would go for a windshirt. I mean they only weigh 3 or so oz. one prob...

In GEAR » windproof fleece jacket/pants effectiveness
March 19, 6:26pm

Re: Shoes for Long Distance Hiking
RJ, after re-reading Doug Johnsons "SuperUltraLight in the Cascades with a Sub-4-pound Pack" I checked out the La Sportiva shoes he used. The Exum ridges. They look good but what in terested me...

In GEAR » Shoes for Long Distance Hiking
March 19, 1:22pm

30pages
we finally hit 30, I was wondering when it was going to happen :-) sorry for the pointless post.

In Gear Lists » Ryan Jordan's SUL Winter Challenge
March 16, 7:14pm

Re: Ryan Jordan's SUL Winter ..
if only we had 1200 fill power down and NANO weight event...oh well :-( :-) I am glad there was this thread, it helped me with the whole winter thing. It is my favorite time to go out, but th...

In Gear Lists » Ryan Jordan's SUL Winter Challenge
March 16, 7:11pm

BMW sleeping bags
I asked this before in the forums along with another question, I got an answer to the other question but this remains answerless. in some Backpacker magazine gear guide issue I noticed these bag...

In GEAR » BMW sleeping bags
March 13, 5:24pm

Re: Re: Shoes for Long Distance Hiking
the shoes I am curentlly using for road running, trail running and backpacking are salomon XA pro 3Ds. they are very breathable and have kept my feet dry even after a day of running or walking. Th...

In GEAR » Shoes for Long Distance Hiking
March 07, 6:25pm

All Reader Reviews by Ryan Faulkner

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BackpackingLight.com Premium Membership
I am so glad I found this website, before this site I was carrying a 30-40lb pack, after reading the articles I got my list under 10, and after joining the forums, well carrying less than 4 pounds is ...

In Books and Media
December 31, 10:20pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
Good thought. I bring this stove whenever I need to simmer, one disadvantage of alcohol stoves. I like it much, much, much better than the MSR pocket rocket, the 4 titanium stands are much more ...

In Stoves - Canister
December 30, 1:25pm

ThermoJet MicroLite
I did not buy this stove, in fact, I have never bought a alcohol stove, but have many of the MBD stoves and tonight added this wonder to my collection. I actually

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 09, 9:56pm

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
I did not purchase a pocket puck from mini bull design, but from looking at pictures and from expeience from making other stoves I made my own flattened side burner stove. I like the overall design, w...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 06, 1:16pm