Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 251 - 260 of 5800 | Page: 1 ...17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ...580

Forum » Thread

Re: Pack Color Preferences
I like colors that blend in so no one can see me. This back was custom done for my in the colors I chose. I just hope that it doesn't blend in too much and I can't find it one day.

In GEAR » Pack Color Preferences
January 14, 9:32pm

Re: Rayon, poly or nylon for liner socks?
Its been years since I wore liner socks, I have a drawer full of them. The best were a silk blend.

In GEAR » Rayon, poly or nylon for liner socks?
January 14, 9:26pm

Re: Re: Re: Do you ever not filter or treat your water?
I almost always treat my water. One of my hiking friends grew up in India. He tells me that the village well water was greenish in color. He never treats his water.

In Philosophy & Technique » Do you ever not filter or treat your water?
January 14, 9:23pm

Re: do tarps really open yourself up to the outdoors?
Watching the rain. Morning after the rain.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » do tarps really open yourself up to the outdoors?
January 14, 9:16pm

Re: Old Guys Running
Crapola... I have been running for 50 years and now you are telling me I am going to get OA? When will this happen and how will I know I have it?

In GEAR » Old Guys Backpacking
January 14, 9:10pm

Re: Re: I have never gotten lost or disoriented in the woods
"Hey Nick, if that was getting "lost" then I want no part of being "found". Being unsure about what canyon to take was one of the highlights of the trip for me...a spectacu...

In Philosophy & Technique » Becoming disoriented in the woods
January 09, 12:29am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Alky for WINTER??
Yeah, I do the scrape the edge trick -- I think it was you who gave me the tip. Even with that, I leave it at home, and use something else (liquid or gas) when doing winter snow trips. It just isn&...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » UL winter cook kit
January 09, 12:16am

Re: Re: Alky for WINTER??
Have you ever tried to light Esbit in winter with cold hands and windy weather? I have, it isn't fun. No thanks. I'll stick with white gas or canister. In 3 season I use Esbit almost ex...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » UL winter cook kit
January 08, 10:12pm

Re: Fix my clothing system please
Are you saying you only get cold at the end of the day when you are at your night camp?

In Gear Lists » Fix my clothing system please
January 07, 3:49am

I have never gotten lost or disoriented in the woods
But I have gotten mighty confused in desert canyons. Just ask BPL members Craig Wisner or Chad Eagle. On different trips with each, in areas I am familiar with, I got "confused" and navig...

In Philosophy & Technique » Becoming disoriented in the woods
January 06, 6:50pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am