BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 251 - 260 of 1852 | Page: 1 ...17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ...186

Forum » Thread

Re: Fire in the rain.
Rain or no rain, This how you start a fire! Of course, LOX isn't UL.

In Editor's Roundtable » Winter Firebuilding Techniques (Video)
February 21, 12:43pm

Re: Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore
Jim, trail travel will depend on snowpack. I don't own skis, so it will either be on foot or snowshoe. Sounds good. I also don't ski. That late in March could be in seasonal transiti...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore
February 21, 11:18am

Re: after the fact
it all seems a brilliant idea when you salivate over the spreadsheets ;) Indeed! (Too many;-) decades ago I knew a Soil Science PHD student who was doing research on the effects of different ...

In GEAR » Examples of "Stupid Light"
February 21, 11:11am

Re: Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore
sounds interesting ... mode of travel? (when on trail) If it works out I'd be traveling there on Thursday (7 hr drive) so I'd be wide open on Mar 22 meetup time

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore
February 21, 8:54am

Re: on being a philosopher ...
Gosh, I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. WHAT? Growing up isn't optional??? Say it ain't so!

In Pre-Trip Planning » The begining of the rest of my life.
February 18, 8:38pm

Re: Jardine
Trekking poles ... On flat ground, put them in your pack or you feel stupid. Me? I'm too stupid to feel stupid, he-he. I appreciate the extra propulsion on flats as well as up hills and th...

In GEAR » Which cannonballs should I be looking at?
February 18, 8:35pm

Re: Re: Which cannonballs should I be looking at?
regarding: buy, buy, buy! Can't say that I've ever detected a lack of "buy, buy, buy" in these forums;-) Note that I'm looking in a mirror so as to include myself in tha...

February 18, 12:51pm

Re: Which cannonballs should I be looking at?
Jardine deserves credit for the public exposure that his books provided for UL. A lot of what he advocates is pure gold. However I was put off by the cult of personality surrounding the guy and...

February 18, 12:05pm

Re: Overnight on the Wisconsin Peninsula
Nice idea for a trip Travis! One question ... how much fiddling did it require to get that drumhead tight pitch on your trailstar using deadmen? OK, a second question ... I see several state...

In Post-Trip Reports » Overnight on the Wisconsin Peninsula
February 17, 4:35pm

Re: Thermometers
It's always smart to check the functional temperature range for digital thermometers to see if they are suitable for your climate. The Accutite is good from -4F to +158F ... probably desirab...

In GEAR » thermometer
February 17, 2:24pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am