BPL Community Profile

Luke Schmidt (Cameron) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale The WOODS
About Me Pursuing Christ, relationships, and adventure in that order. Nicknamed "Chief" because I grew up with a tribe of vegetarian cannibals on a small island off the coast of Iowa.
CityMidland TX
StateTexas
CountryUnited States

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Luke Schmidt

Showing 251 - 260 of 2059 | Page: 1 ...17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ...206

Forum » Thread

Loop Version
I wonder if you could do a loop version of this hiker. Start at Green River Lakes and go south to Indian Pass. At Indian Pass cross to the east side of the divide and work your way back north poss...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Better than the Sierra High Route: A Complete Guide to the Wind River High Route - mile for mile, the finest non-technical Alpine route in North America
November 21, 8:30pm

Prepackaging in Grizzly Country
I'm a fan of prepackaged food in Griz country because I reason there is less chance of odors leaking out. Course the trash might smell so I don't know how much it helps. The one thing I...

In Editor's Roundtable » Simplifying Expedition Food With Single Serving Sized Packages
November 20, 8:21pm

Re Thru hiking stats - couples
Now we just need some aspiring thru-hiker err I mean counseling student, to get grant and study the issue. Of course this student would have to hike the trail in order to properly study the relati...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Thru hiking stats - couples?
November 17, 1:25pm

Keep Your Head Warm
Make sure you have adequate head insulation, no point in having a 15 degree quilt if your head is cold at 25.

In GEAR » CDT Sleep System Debate!
November 16, 11:18pm

Go For It!
+1 On everything Bob said. I did the trail in 2011 (Denver to Molas Pass) and 2012 (Durango to Molas). My first section was in mid-August to September. I don't remember the exact dates. ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Colorado trail in mid-aug to September??
November 13, 6:22pm

Alligators
Nick we swam in rivers that had gators when I worked at a Therapy camp. They weren't real thick though. They do come up on land just be aware. Personally I'd look at renting a kayak o...

In Philosophy & Technique » Sharing (Or Not) Locations and Logistics on the Web.
November 11, 10:39pm

It depends
It depends, I have often shared advice on places like Grayson Highlands, these places are already well known and I'm just helping a friend or BPL member get the most out of the experience by hi...

In Philosophy & Technique » Sharing (Or Not) Locations and Logistics on the Web.
November 11, 10:00pm

Teach them
I'm all for "unplugging" but kids that are used to constant stimulation need to be taught how to enjoy the woods. That is why I like things like knives and fire, most kids can't ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Ideas for UL Activities When Hiking with Your kids
November 09, 10:34pm

Activities for kids
If there isn't a burn ban fire is great. Start with matches then progress to more advanced options. I bring a bag full of 100 or so cotton balls and a magnesium fire starter. The key is to s...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Ideas for UL Activities When Hiking with Your kids
November 09, 9:31pm

Re PM Sent
If by some chance the deal on the Artic1000 falls through I'll buy it.

In Gear Swap » FS: Odds and Ends (and an old Arctic 1000)
November 08, 8:23pm

All Reader Reviews by Luke Schmidt

Luke Schmidt has posted no reviews.