BPL Community Profile

Luke Schmidt (Cameron) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale The WOODS
About Me Pursuing Christ, relationships, and adventure in that order. Nicknamed "Chief" because I grew up with a tribe of vegetarian cannibals on a small island off the coast of Iowa.
CityMidland TX
StateTexas
CountryUnited States

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Luke Schmidt

Showing 251 - 260 of 2002 | Page: 1 ...17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ...201

Forum » Thread

Very Nice
Very nice trip report Eric. I can tell you are proud of how your Scouts did. I love getting kids out in the woods and using the experiences there to teach teamwork and responsibility.

In Editor's Roundtable » Paddle Scouts: BSA Packrafting the Sun River Drainage, Montana
September 19, 6:10pm

Re Re Re Not meaning to rain on your parade
I don't know if you'll get noticably hotter in a black pack. But your food might get a bit hotter. But when melting food is a concern I don't bring things like hershey bars anyway.

In GEAR » HMG Porter in black.
September 18, 9:02pm

So Tougher?
So the nylon not the cuben is heavier? Seems like that is a good upgrade, I'm assuming that means greater abrasion resistance?

In GEAR » HMG Porter in black.
September 18, 5:47pm

Re Re Re Re Re Approach Shoes
Eric I definitely would consider and approach shoe on slick rock. However I don't hike on that very often. Funny someone mentioned the Adirondacks. I only did one overnighter there but that ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Altra Lone Peak 1.5 Trail Shoe Review
September 18, 4:44pm

Re Approach Shoes
Eric I'm not a climber but I don't think I've ever seen an approach shoe wit a wide toe box or zero drop. The Altras are the only shoes that have that and enough protection for me carr...

In Editor's Roundtable » Altra Lone Peak 1.5 Trail Shoe Review
September 18, 5:43am

My ultimate adventure
How about a packrafting/hiking trip somewhere in Alaska? Depending on how much money you have I'd consider a "warm up trip" in the northern Rockies or just a couple days in Alaska. ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What would be your ultimate backpacking adventure?
September 17, 8:22pm

Spoiled Brat
"Frankly I thought he was a selfish, spoiled little brat" Two things jumped out at me from the story 1. He never contacted his family. Big red flag there. Might have been family pro...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How Chris McCandless Died
September 17, 6:52pm

Used to work, sometimes
Natives used to kill grizzlies (and lions in Africa) by getting them to charge and spearing them. No info on the mortality rate for Native American bear hunters. But the spear heads were wider...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Inventor's hiking stick can fend off bears
September 16, 5:50am

Re Re Re Re Ancient Shoes
I saw a buffalo hide at Bent's Old Fort and the leather was about 1/3 inch thick in places. A pair of moccasins from that would have been pretty nice, I'd guess about as protective as Trai...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Why barefoot isn't best for most runners
September 16, 5:46am

Minimalist Shoes
I tried running in a variety of somewhat minimalist shoes and did okay but I was mostly getting sore muscles after 2 miles or so. One day I went out and more for the heck of it then anything e...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Why barefoot isn't best for most runners
September 15, 9:40pm

All Reader Reviews by Luke Schmidt

Luke Schmidt has posted no reviews.