Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Shawn Basil (Bearpaw) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Southeast
About Me Eagle Scout, Philmont Ranger, Marine Corps Arctic/Mountain training (Norway deployments), Appalachian Trail Through-hiker ('99), NOLS Instructor ('01-'03), Trail Crew Leader (Cumberland Trail Conference, '00-'05), Pack and Bootfitter (REI, '01-'06), Colorado Trail Through-hiker ('06)
CityNashville
StateTennessee
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6275

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Shawn Basil

Showing 251 - 260 of 284 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Non DEET Mosquito Repellent?
Ditto permethrine on clothes, as PJ posted. Also, this summer I tried picaridin, available from Cutter. It does not mask you as well as DEET, but it DOES prevent mosquitoes from biting. You ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Non DEET Mosquito Repellent?
December 04, 6:47am

LS (e) set up
I kept mine at the same height I hike with, 125 cm, or about 48.5 inches. I always set the pole just a hair to the side so I don't bump it getting into the tent. It probably has an effective heig...

In GEAR » Rainbow vs Lunar solo vs Contrail
December 02, 6:07pm

New Merino Wool Shirt
I posted earlier I had been unhappy with the REI lightweight Merino Wool Shirt I got last year, and was going to try a new Smartwool microweight. I just got it about an hour ago and I'm very impre...

In GEAR » Going Wool? share your knowledge
December 02, 3:16pm

Re: Re: Comfort is a part of functionality.
It's never too late! I teach so I have summers off (for the most part). And experienced backpacker with a strong scouting background and Philmont experience could probably get on still. There's ...

December 02, 2:22pm

Moving closer
I've just started looking over your trail journal, and I'm enjoying it. Currently, I'min dreary Nash Vegas, but will most likley move to the Maryville, Tennessee area next summer now that I am j...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Anyone Near Southern AT?
December 02, 1:36pm

Comfort is a part of functionality.
"I honestly do not remember any itch from wool. I'm not just saying that. I always heard about wool "itching" but personally never was bothered by it." You're lucky. Ragg wool lights me up. I ...

December 02, 12:19pm

Re: Re: Lunar solo setup
"1- What type of stakes are you using and how close to the ground are the heads where the straps attach?" I use a "y"-shaped stake from Golite. As Ron mentioned, they are about 6" long and I pla...

December 02, 11:45am

Re: Re: gaiters?
By the time you're approaching New England (May I'm assuming), you'll likely want to cashier the overboots. But my memory still lingers strong from 99, a drought year, in which Massachusetts was s...

In Gear Lists » AT January Thru
December 02, 11:02am

gaiters?
You're good to go for traction with the instep crampons, but you may want to consider gaiters for your trail runners. They'll only help marginally with snow, but when you hit mud the extra 2.5 oun...

In Gear Lists » AT January Thru
December 01, 12:38pm

Lunar solo setup
I slept in the Lunar Solo almost every night of my 36 day Colorado Trail Through-hike this past summer. Before I started the hike, I'd only set up the LS maybe 4 times. It took me 5-10 minutes. ...

December 01, 12:31pm

All Reader Reviews by Shawn Basil

Showing 1 - 10 of 14 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Gregory Z-55
After loving my old Gregory Z-Pack, I had high hopes for the beautifully ventilated Z-55. As a southeastern hiker, I usually head west to high cool mountains when summer heat and humidity begin to ba...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 03, 11:25am

ULA Catalyst
I've owned 14 packs in the last 8 years and the ULA Catalyst is the best pack of the lot. I've used in Tennessee's Cumberland Plateau and Great Smoky Mountains, Nevada's Tahoe Rim Tra...

August 01, 9:23pm

Princeton Tec EOS
For years I used my Tikka and Tikka Plus, exuberantly satisfied with the compact, lightweight, and long-lasting nature of their light. But at times, I found that when I really needed extra light, suc...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
February 24, 3:53pm

Probar Energy Bar
When I first tried a Probar, I though I had finally found the "perfect trail bar" to challenge the venerable Bear Valley Pemmican Bar. It packs smaller, weighs slightly less, performs just ...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
February 23, 5:13pm

Bear Valley Mealpack Bars
Bear Valley Meal Pack and Pemmican Bars are, without a doubt, one of the most efficient foods a backpacker can hope to carry. Since I first encountered them as a scout at Philmont 22 years ago, they ...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
February 23, 4:55pm

GoLite Phantom Jacket
This was my jacket during my Colorado Trail through-hike this past summer. It's breathability is better than most, and its ventilation is superb. I hiked many miles over two weeks through monsoo...

In Clothing - Raingear
February 21, 1:55pm

Arc'Teryx Sirrus Jacket
This jacket, made in 2002 and 2003 used a combination of XCR Goretex with Paclite fabric, a combination I have not seen in other jackets. The breathability is, to put it mildly, superb. The material...

In Clothing - Raingear
February 21, 1:44pm

Mountainsmith Ghost
For warm weather in areas where I don't need to carry large amounts of water, this is my favorite pack. I use the original blue 2002 version. The pack is a dream for my longer torso. For those ...

February 21, 1:36pm

Gregory Z-Pack
I love my old, but tough 2004 Z-pack. It served me well for over 1000 miles and is still in good overall shape. My size large weighs in at exactly 3 pounds (after trimming off nearly 4 ounces of unn...

February 21, 1:23pm

Complete Walker by Colin Fletcher
I first read The Complete Walker III in 1997. I'd been backpacking recreationally for 15 years, but still learned a tremendous amount and appreciated the well-written prose and humor in the book....

In Books and Media
February 21, 10:27am