BPL Community Profile

David Chenault (DaveC) - BPL Staff

My Locale Crown of the Continent
About Me Social worker. Endurance mountain bike racer, ultra-hiker, packrafter, BC skier, un-serious climber and canyoneer.

I have given up on PMs. Please contact me through my website.
CityThe Fish
StateMontana
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://bedrockandparadox.com
My PDF Gear ListWinter '13

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Chenault

Showing 2401 - 2410 of 2762 | Page: 1 ...232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 ...277

Forum » Thread

Yellowstone: Skiing Fan Creek and the Upper Gallatin River
I got in a 24 (+) this weekend. http://vimeo.com/9815810 Snow camping is fun, and backcountry touring is even better. I like winter. Gear talk here: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bi...

In Post-Trip Reports » Yellowstone: Skiing Fan Creek and the Upper Gallatin River
March 01, 7:46am

car wash
I've found car washes (soap and then rinse well) to be very effective. On packs.

In GEAR » Can I wash my pack?
February 28, 5:01pm

rope!
Who doesn't like rope? Certainly not any gearhead I know. I see three different answers I have to the questions posed. For easy mountaineering and 4th-easy 5th class scrambling: Take a ...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » safe working load - rope question
February 25, 3:28pm

natural
Wool (and cotton) are the only real answers.

In GEAR » More smoking questions...
February 23, 12:08pm

brrr...?
Konrad, it could be pretty cold down there, or it could be nice. Generally in the Canyon in winter, if you are in the sun and out of the wind, things are quite comfy. Nights are long, and you'...

In Winter Hiking » Havasupai Falls Input needed
February 22, 12:43am

wind protection
For below zero, I'd want a hooded layer that was very wind resistant. I'd probably bring the schoeller.

In GEAR » Ski Touring clothing layer system
February 22, 12:31am

temps?
It really depends on the expected temperatures. Presuming that there's almost no chance of rain, and almost no chance of really cold (below zero) weather, I'd take the LS 150 baselayer, th...

In GEAR » Ski Touring clothing layer system
February 20, 8:30pm

clothing
Don, Depending on your size and needs, I've got some capilene and a balaclava that are all yours.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Hiker in Need!! can you help?
February 18, 9:44pm

snow!
Last year most stuff in the mountains was still melting out in early June. It melts out fast, but if you to backpack, see the good stuff, have good fishing (ie not murky), and avoid postholing and...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Montana?
February 18, 9:39pm

2N?
Wilderness therapy does teach you things.... ;) Back in the day I could pretty consistently get embers with (very dry) juniper on juniper. A fat cottonwood root fireboard is like cheating!

In Philosophy & Technique » Bow Drill Fires!
February 17, 12:53pm

All Reader Reviews by David Chenault

Showing 1 - 10 of 25 | Page: 1 2 3

Review

Category

STARBUCKS VIA Italian Roast
Tastes good enough, tiny and easy to use. What could be better? It not being so darn expen$ive.

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
July 27, 2:17pm

Lara Bars Cherry Pie
Tasty, moist, tasty, good calorie to weight ratio, compact, resists deformation, doesn't freeze too bad in the cold, tasty, made of real food, and tasty! Bar-shaped food does not get any bett...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
July 27, 2:16pm

Patagonia Capilene 1 T-Shirt
Cap 1 seems to have changed very little since it was called silkweight capilene back in the day. It dries very quickly, wicks pretty well (though not as well as cap 2), and most importantly feels lig...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
July 27, 2:12pm

Therm-A-Rest Ridgerest
I use a cut-down 48" Ridgerest on every trip. Bombproof, comfy, light, cheap. In winter, I add a full length under it. I actually sleep better on this than most inflatables, but realize I&...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
April 11, 10:47am

MLD Trailstar
In summary: Aside from a bivy sack for good weather and race pace endeavors, I've sold off the rest of my shelters. It's a great cross of a pyramid and a tarp. Finished weight, seam sealed...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
April 11, 10:39am

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
It's hard to get more warmth for the weight (or price). I like having a few pieces to add in as supplementary feet and/or torso pieces. It is quite fragile. Do not leave this on the outside o...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
March 28, 3:18pm

FireLite Trapper's Mug
A very well designed cup. Light, but seems just as functionaly durable as Snowpeak or Evernew stuff. Ideal size for a soloist. The taller than it is wide shape is one I prefer for cooking on a fire...

In Cookware - Titanium
March 28, 3:03pm

Patagonia Houdini Wind Jacket
Note 1: This is a review of my 2005/6 Houdini. It's longevity is revealing (it may have been the Dragonfly back then, even). Note 2: If the price is outrageous, no one would buy it! The prote...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 29, 8:08pm

Patagonia Ready Mix Softshell Pants
I disagree with all Kev's objections, and desperately wish I could find more mediums to buy. The simplicity is what I love best. Actually, the perfect in all conditions from 70-10 F fabric is ...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 29, 8:00pm

patagonia down sweater
Note: I'm folding this review of the Down hooded pullover into this section because 1) the hooded p/o isn't made anymore, 2) the critical comments likely apply broadly. I really liked the d...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
January 27, 10:07am