Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Scott Bentz (scottbentz) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me I live in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. I can get to a lot of nice hiking areas right from my street or travel for 15 minutes to higher elevations in the Angeles National Forrest. I started packing again with my sons in their Boy Scout troop. I was definitely not light that first trip 6 years ago and have been reducing my pack weight ever since. I mainly pack a few times a year in the Eastern and Western Sierras.
My PDF Gear ListNorth Lake South Lake 2012

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Scott Bentz

Showing 241 - 250 of 436 | Page: 1 ...16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ...44

Forum » Thread

Some Differences
I carry the same stuff, just lighter: GG Mariposa Plus 19 oz. (-18 oz) WM Summerlite 32º 19 oz. (-16 oz) GG The One 19 0z. (-23.0) I also use a Spinn Twinn at 9 oz. to save more Torsolite ...

In Gear Lists » Updated Gear List
October 06, 3:42pm

Hetch Hetchy
I don't want to get into a debate about Hetch Hetchy, however, the photos they had of that valley were quite stunning. I guess a lot of the waterfalls are now under water. I would imagine if th...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » National parks on PBS
October 05, 2:57pm

Hilo
Ali e You may not have been all that stealth. You were most likely discovered by pacololo farmers and they removed your camo so you wouldn't come back!

In GEAR » Going SuperStealth- Camo UL
October 02, 6:27pm

Hitchsafe
I surf a lot and most surfers just stash their keys somewhere. Naturally, knuckleheads come around and take advantage. Now, I use this: http://www.hitchsafe.com/ I used it while my car was at...

In GEAR » Leaving your gear at camp - theft concerns
October 01, 4:44pm

Thinlight and TorsoLight
My situation may be a bit different. I use a GG Mariposa Plus. The TorsoLight goes on the outside pocket folded in thirds. After putting everything in my pack I put the Thinlight on the top, ins...

In GEAR » Packing a GG thinlight AND a Torso Nightlight
October 01, 12:28pm

Need More Info.
Since we don't know what your other gear is we don't know whether or not you can fit the Bearicade in your pack. If you do attach it on the outside, the only place would be on top of the...

In GEAR » Jam2 and bearikade expedition bear cannister
September 23, 10:58am

Vapor Trail
The Vapor Trail should be fine for this trip. If you like the pack then use it. There are lighter options but I think the Vapor Trail weights in at 32 oz. Not ultralight but it is lightweight. T...

In GEAR » Good summer JMT sleeping bag?
September 22, 10:12am

No water bladder
My suggestion would be not to use the Platypus as a water bladder at all. The Mariposa Plus has nice side pockets. Get a 1 liter plastic soda bottle and use the short side pocket on the right side....

In GEAR » Gossamer Gear Mariposa question
September 21, 6:37pm

30 Deg. Bag + Down Jacket
I was going to take my MontBell SS #5 (40º) and got nervous so I bought a Western Mountaineering Summerlite (32º) bag for my JMT hike. I thought the warmer bag would be okay because I was also us...

In GEAR » Good summer JMT sleeping bag?
September 21, 4:43pm

Rae Lakes Loop
We were going over Glen Pass on Friday, August 28 and saw someone that was doing the loop in a day. Didn't get his name. We were heading south, he was coming down Glen heading North. I think he...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Rae Lakes Loop in a day.
September 17, 6:43pm

All Reader Reviews by Scott Bentz

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

MSR MIOX
We used a MSR Miox on a trip with 9 people (Scouts). We got very spotty results and ended up playing with the unit more than we wanted. It seemed like the perfect solution but was not worth the wait. ...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
June 03, 5:04pm