Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Roger B (rogerb) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Here and there
About Me Mathematics and Teacher Educator been walking, on and off-track in many countries. My interest is in appreciating the outdoors, wherever I may be.
My Website URLhttp://www.nielsenbrownoutdoors.com/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger B

Showing 241 - 250 of 589 | Page: 1 ...16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ...59

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Water Bottle Purifier?
Ben, in my view you cannot go past the Aquastar. Firstly, it works and more importantly it is robust. I have dropped mine a few times and it is still working. The light is also useful but probably ...

In GEAR » Water Bottle Purifier?
March 24, 12:51pm

Re: Roger Brown
Thanks for the close up Ken, a job for the coming days.

In GEAR » Hey Ion Fans
March 22, 12:43am

Re: Hey Ion Fans
Thanks for your post Ken, I don't have bear problems where I am but really appreciate the pictures. It seems that with the Ion "fully packed" you will have a very comfortable and ligh...

In GEAR » Hey Ion Fans
March 21, 11:37am

Re: Neo Air vs Ether Thermo 6
I find this conversation interesting, especially as Chris Townsend (scroll down to the 2nd entry) stated in his blog that "The Therm-A-Rest Prolite 3 Short has been my first choice in mats for...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Neo Air vs Ether Thermo 6
March 13, 11:36am

Re: SMD Net Tent, MLD Bug Bivy and MORE
Hi Scott Sorry to hear the Bug Bivy did not work for you. Sounds like I need some Berber carpet in my apartment. Roger

In Gear Swap » SMD Net Tent, MLD Bug Bivy and MORE
March 03, 10:16am

Re: Re: Caldera + Esbit + Simmer
>So neither is better than the other, but is merely a the right tool for the job based on the number of days on the trail and the availability of either one to be found along the way going from ...

In GEAR » Esbit vs. Alcohol Stove???
March 01, 7:18am

Re: Esbit vs. Alcohol Stove???
Tony I have used both with my Caldera Cone, lately when the temperatures have hovered around 0 C (32 F). As others have summarised they both work well with caldera and once you can measure the ...

In GEAR » Esbit vs. Alcohol Stove???
February 28, 2:33am

Re: Linked Trekking poles under Pyramid Shelter
On my Shangri-La 3 I use pacer poles with a CF pole insert (you can see it at Pacer Poles and Shangri-La 3 ) this provides a rigid pole for the tent.

In GEAR » Carbon trekking poles under stress in a pyramid style shelter
February 25, 12:01pm

Re: Carbon trekking poles under stress in a pyramid style shelter
Sounds like a physics problem to me. I use aluminium pacer poles with my shangrila 3 which do not show any signs of bending. My suspicion is that in a Hex the force is vertically down on the top of...

In GEAR » Carbon trekking poles under stress in a pyramid style shelter
February 25, 10:13am

Re: finally got around to my...Meteor bivy
Well done, convinces me that I need to get the sewing machine out and just do it instead of thinking about it.

In Make Your Own Gear » finally got around to my...Meteor bivy
February 22, 11:48am

All Reader Reviews by Roger B

Showing 1 - 10 of 28 | Page: 1 2 3

Review

Category

Backpacking Light Ti Esbit stove
It took me a while to start using the stove but now it is the only stove I will use when traveling light. Its light weight coupled with the ability to use with many different pots makes this a stand o...

In Stoves - Other
September 19, 12:45pm

PossumDown Gloves (BPL Gear Shop)
In fact these gloves are so good I always "baby" them a bit, even though it is unnecessary. The gloves work well in cooler and wet weather and I use them with trekking poles in cooler condit...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
January 25, 10:31am

Mountain Laurel Designs Grace Solo .97 Spinntex
This tarp is an example of the MLD teams great workmanship coupled with excellent design. Kevin has already described the tarp correctly, so all it is left for me to say is that it is a great piece...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
January 25, 9:58am

BackpackingLight.com
When it came to the need to change the delivery address from local to international for an impending delivery, there was no fuss. After a couple of emails the address was changed and the products arri...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
July 16, 12:50pm

C and C Outdoors
Yes I had hoped for a great deal on their Integral designs equipment, but in the end I gave up and went elsehwere (and paid more). I wanted the gear, not the stories,

January 24, 4:27pm

Pentax Optio WP
The Optio WP is always in my pocket on a trip. Its lightweight and reliability ensures that I get every photo I want. Coupled with a gorilla pod it enables me to extend the range of light in which I c...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
January 17, 6:45pm

Jolt Gum
For me the taste is non descript, maybe my taste buds have suffered from the coffee I drink in the Bodegas in NY. I use jolt in the afternoons when I am beginning to lose concentration, and am begi...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
December 12, 6:56pm

Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
My micropuff is my go to Pullover and coupled with my possum fur vest has provided me with warmth and comfort into the teens. Additionally it packs small.

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
December 09, 7:02pm

Rainy Pass (Gear Repair)
Whilst many of the readers of the site are very adept at repairing and making their own gear there are some who are not. I am one of them. As a consequence I have used Rainy Pass on 2 occasions, one t...

December 01, 7:36pm

IBEX Wool Liner Gloves
Light, warm and solid. These are the gloves I use when it is cold and windy, they are ideally suited for use with trekking poles and even when they are damp, they help to keep your hands warm. In s...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
December 01, 7:16pm