BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 241 - 250 of 1573 | Page: 1 ...16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ...158

Forum » Thread

Re: Squamish
Brendan, I have not tested any of the recent Squamish model years. Unlike the Hudouni, I don't know how the value changed for each model year. The one I tested has the Acteryx model listed a...

In GEAR » how breathable a wind shell is
November 27, 6:47am

Re: CFM
Roman, Windshirt fabrics for the same model can change from year to year. Unlike the Houdini, I only checked one model year for the Sqamish. Polartec fleece types are a good reference because t...

November 27, 6:32am

Re: Re: how breathable a wind shell is
Mark, Pertex specs that fabric at 10 CFM. The other Pertex fabrics I have tested were close to their specs. Knowing how little insulation you require compared to me makes me think you would ...

November 26, 9:08pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: question for Richard N.
Tom, I used the term layered to differentiate the Houdini use from the DriClime in my prior post. I meant that I layered a different base layer under it based on the expected conditions versus a...

November 26, 7:03pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: how breathable a wind shell is
I thought that Dave did a good job on his two windshirt SOTM articles but, based on the published Boreas material specification; it was too porous, too heavy, and too prone to snagging to garner an...

November 26, 5:55pm

Re: Re: Re: how breathable a wind shell is
I am going to pass on creating forum posts dealing with the testing of the less mainstream windshirts that were released in various years. I tested the Houdini versions for these years: 2008...

November 26, 3:15pm

Re: any posts re CFM data
Mike, I didn't measure the Montane Featherlight air permeability. Any article and most forum posts I have seen on BPL has provided only subjective windshirt air permeability ratings. Unfortu...

November 26, 1:40pm

Re: how breathable a wind shell is
Nian, A hard shell made with a porous membrane, such as eVent, provides “worst case rain protection” in combination with air permeability as high as .53 CFM. This is what I measured on the I...

November 26, 1:08pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Fishnet Warmer?
ab, They were in a climate lab using ergometers. The temp was 5c (41F) with a sustained 2 mph wind. They did two 7 MET heating cycles and 2 cool down cycles per test. The only variable was the k...

In Editor's Roundtable » Just Say No To Wicking: Non-Traditional Base Layers Based on a Next-to-Skin Fishnet Model
November 24, 11:08pm

Re: Re: Just Say No To Wicking: Non-Traditional Base Layers Based on a Next-to-Skin Fishnet Model
Ken, Fishnet is a 90's technology that still works adequately. Power Dry High Efficiency is currently the leading base layer for moisture management.

In Editor's Roundtable » Just Say No To Wicking: Non-Traditional Base Layers Based on a Next-to-Skin Fishnet Model
November 24, 10:44pm

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm