Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

John Whynot (jdw01776) - BPL Guest

My Locale Southeast Texas
About Me Hiking and backpacking (on and off) since 1976, mainly in the northeastern United States.
CityHouston
StateTX
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Whynot

Showing 241 - 250 of 557 | Page: 1 ...16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ...56

Forum » Thread

Re: Given this gear and $300 in "fun money", what would you do...
I would start by reading all of the articles on this site by Doug Prosser (Start with this one). In fact, I would read each one several times. His articles show what is possible when you get rid of...

In Gear Lists » Given this gear and $300 in "fun money", what would you do...
December 18, 3:52pm

Re: Valley Hopping in the Cordillera Huayhuash
That was an excellent trip report. Impressive altitude for the passes...

In Editor's Roundtable » Valley Hopping in the Cordillera Huayhuash
December 14, 8:54pm

Re: Who can help with winter bags.
As you're hiking in the White Mountains, you could ease into winter camping by spending a night or two at one of the AMC huts that are open in the Winter. You won't need a stove/cooking gea...

In GEAR » Who can help with winter bags.
December 05, 11:39am

Re: WTB Wool Socks
Evan: I have 2 pairs of men's size large Smartwool Adrenaline crew length hiking socks. I don't use them anymore. I'll sell them for $15.00 including shipping -- if you'd like th...

In Gear Swap » WTB Wool Socks
December 03, 9:02pm

Re: "Once and for all... Best Rain Pants under 7 oz?"
I like the newer version of the Golite Reeds. 5.7 ounces for size medium. I like fit (even thought the inseams are a bit long) and the ankle zips. They're comfortable under a range of condition...

In GEAR » Once and For all... Best Rain Pants under 7 oz?
November 26, 2:39pm

Re: abrasion and flame resistant "smock" for bushwacking/campfire wear?
You could try a Nomex shirt from Forestry Suppliers, but it may not be light enough...

In GEAR » abrasion and flame resistant "smock" for bushwacking/campfire wear?
November 24, 8:17pm

Re: Re: Weigh your buckles!
>>Weighing the buckle on a backpack and substituting another lighter one... that's getting a bit extreme. I did that, plus sliced off excess hip belt and shoulder strap webbing, and re...

In Gear Lists » First time I ever weighed my gear!
November 23, 7:00pm

Re: Backcountry Sat. Phone or SPOT
The AT&T Terrestar Genus is a cell/satellite hybrid smartphone. I don't know if it's still targeted at business/orgination use, rather than individual use...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Backcountry Sat. Phone or SPOT
November 16, 11:23am

FS: OR Stuff Sack, Cuben Tent Stake Sack, Evernew Water Bladder, AGG Pouch Cozy
Sold items shipped. Stuff sack still available...

In Gear Swap » FS: OR Stuff Sack, Cuben Tent Stake Sack, Evernew Water Bladder, AGG Pouch Cozy
November 13, 12:29pm

FS: SmartWool and Mountain Hardwear Baselayers/Darn Tough Socks
Sold items shipped. MH baselayer price reduced...

In Gear Swap » FS: SmartWool and Mountain Hardwear Baselayers/Darn Tough Socks
November 13, 12:28pm

All Reader Reviews by John Whynot

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

StickPic camera mount
A clever, well-engineered, and lightweight (0.35 ounces by my scale) gadget for mounting a camera on the tip of a trekking pole. Should work with any compact camera with a tripod socket. Works ver...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
June 16, 10:55am

BPL Thorofare Trekking Pants
I purchased these as a replacement for my overbuilt Montbell Stretch Windpants. The fabric of the Trekking pants is a microgrid ripstop nylon, with a slightly textured inner surface. Size medium...

In Clothing - Raingear
December 07, 8:31pm