BPL Community Profile

Tom Clark (TomClark) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale East Coast
About Me Tom Clark
- Middle aged Materials Scientist
- Hiked mostly on Appalachian Trail in TN, NC, VA, PA, NY, & VT. Some memorable trips to Yosemite, The Presidential Range, Moab, Zion, The Superstitions, and portions of the PCT in the Cascades (The Three Sisters).
- Started backpacking in 1992, switched to lightweight ~1999.
- Currently using tarp, bivy sack, & quilt.
- Base summer weight ~8-10 lbs.
- Some photos from previous trips www.flickr.com/photos/tomclark1/
CityAllentown
StatePA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/tomclark1/sets/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Clark

Showing 241 - 250 of 1104 | Page: 1 ...16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ...111

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: No Protein powder
Javan, Eliade wrote… "Trail runner's perspective here, so please don't take this as an insult, but unless you're out for 3+ days, why does "ultralight" include a ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Why is a stove part of an "ultralight" system <3 days?
July 04, 3:07pm

Re: Why is a stove part of an "ultralight" system &lt;3 days?
Geez, the first couple of folks responding were pretty negative. I didn't think your question was phrased inappropriately. Why do they think you couldn't survive 3 days without cooking an...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Why is a stove part of an "ultralight" system <3 days?
July 04, 2:44pm

Re: Trees
Stuart, I was wondering if over harvesting was a factor. Thanks, Tom

In Post-Trip Reports » 8 Days of Wrath on the Cape Wrath Trail
June 27, 4:08am

Re: 8 Days of Wrath on the Cape Wrath Trail
Matt, Nice trip report, I understand the lack of photos due to weather, but wish there were more. Surprising that you left the B&B. Hope the rest of the trip was good. One question for an...

In Post-Trip Reports » 8 Days of Wrath on the Cape Wrath Trail
June 26, 6:53pm

Re: Hiking in Turkey: Kaçkar Mountains
Just got through all of the photos in your link. Fantastic scenery! It would be interesting to see what those litle mountain towns are like in the summer, and who is inhabiting them.

In Post-Trip Reports » Hiking in Turkey: Kaçkar Mountains
June 25, 4:29pm

Re: Re: Why do A-holes drink light beer?
"Because they're Philistines." Come on, why do you have to stereotype like that?!? Some of the Philistines were probably nice people. Don't be so mean-spirited and narrow-min...

In Philosophy & Technique » Why do A-holes drink light beer?
June 25, 12:59pm

Re: Los Padres National Forest: Santa Cruz Creek
Being from the east coast, I don't know much about the Los Padres National Forest (is "the Los" redundant?). However, it looks like you found some really special places...blossoms, s...

In Post-Trip Reports » Los Padres National Forest: Santa Cruz Creek
June 24, 5:19pm

Re: Ticks, Poisen Ivy and Bug Bites!!
" I carried my 12lb, 3 person, car camping tent on the hike! " Andy, I have half a mind to report your post to BPL with that little red flag in the top corner and get you thrown out o...

In Post-Trip Reports » 2 UL Guys & 2 Reg/Heavy Pack Guys @ Harriman State Park
June 24, 11:00am

Re: A happy ending to the GoLite Saga
Glad to hear the favorable resolution to your problem. I briefly met Coup at Trail Days in VA several years ago, and he was very personable and committed to his products and the lightweight trend....

In GEAR » Golite Out Of Business?
June 23, 8:39pm

Re: Impact of cooking with wood.
"How does cooking on a woodfire and leaving a small pile of ash (which is likely buried), or small fire scar if you will, compare to landfills full of empty steel canisters, Japanese titanium ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Wood-Burning Camp Stoves - State of the Market Report 2011
June 22, 7:12pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Clark

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Pacific Outdoor Products Insul Mat Max-Thermo
Definitely my favorite pad, and the one which I take most often. I view it as a good compromise in terms of comfort, weight, and volume. It's a luxury, but it allows me to roll from side to side...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 26, 7:09pm

PossumDown Glove Liner Gloves
This is a very soft, warm glove. As the product description states, they have much higher loft than other synthetic liners that I have used. The only problem I experienced was using them one rainy d...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
January 29, 11:41am

Gossamer Gear Mariposa
This was my first lightweight pack, so it was a fairly big leap for me to carry a pack that used gloves, socks, and balaclava for padding in the hip and shoulder straps. I took this pack on a few ove...

In Backpacks - Frameless
January 15, 9:10am