Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Shawn Basil (Bearpaw) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Southeast
About Me Eagle Scout, Philmont Ranger, Marine Corps Arctic/Mountain training (Norway deployments), Appalachian Trail Through-hiker ('99), NOLS Instructor ('01-'03), Trail Crew Leader (Cumberland Trail Conference, '00-'05), Pack and Bootfitter (REI, '01-'06), Colorado Trail Through-hiker ('06)
CityNashville
StateTennessee
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6275

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Shawn Basil

Showing 241 - 250 of 284 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Forum » Thread

Re: Lightweight backpacking meets lightweight vacationing...
For the extra small packs, consider the REI Flash UL pack/stuff sack. The company is out of stock on them right now, but will have more in January. The packs are about 900 ci, weigh 10 ounces and...

In GEAR » Lightweight backpacking meets lightweight vacationing...
December 16, 11:12pm

Low-cut hikers versus trail runners
I've used trail runners, but I'm a bigger guy (220-240 depending on what time of year you find me) and true cushioned light trail runners leave my feet feeling a bit raw even with superfeet...

In Philosophy & Technique » Trail Runners
December 10, 3:04pm

Re: Newbie Winter AT Hiking Gear List
Welcome Ronald, I hope I can offer some insight that could be of help. I through-hiked the AT in 99 and routinely hiked the Smokies around Christmas time, so I might be able to offer some persp...

In Winter Hiking » Newbie Winter AT Hiking Gear List
December 09, 12:39pm

FS: Jackets
For Sale: ArcTeryx Sirrus Jacket (2002 model): Red, Sz XL, XCR Goretex/Paclite combination. Most breathable Rain Jacket I own, but fits too close (since I've gained a "few" pou...

In Gear Swap » FS: Jackets
December 09, 10:49am

FS: Marmot Hydrogen and 2003 SMD Europa
For Sale: Marmot Hydrogen sleeping bag, sz reg, 30 F. Moderate use, but still in great shape. Asking $160 (includes shipping by USPS). (Selling because I use my homemade down quilt most of ...

In Gear Swap » FS: Marmot Hydrogen and 2003 SMD Europa
December 09, 10:39am

FS: Gregory Z-Pack and Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone
For Sale: Gregory Z-pack (2004 model) Size L, Heavy usage. Webbing has been trimmed in most places, but I am a BIG guy and the remainder shouldbe plenty for most people. Still in very good s...

In Gear Swap » FS: Gregory Z-Pack and Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone
December 09, 10:24am

Wisp & Ether Windshirts
I own both the Golite Wisp and Ether WIndshirts. However, both are 2005 models, so I can't compare them to the pre-2005 versions. I can say that I am a big sweaty guy who drowns himself in...

In GEAR » Your Choice of UL Windshirt?
December 09, 9:09am

Re: reading and writing on UL trips
I love to read on the trail. For the last 2 1/2 years, I've worked full time as a teacher, part-time at REI and studied full-time for my master's degree. Needless to say, recreational rea...

In Philosophy & Technique » reading and writing on UL trips
December 09, 8:58am

Re: One Luxury
A good book that doesn't weigh too much. Two summers ago, I had reduced my base weight to about 12 pounds, so I decided that I could justify bringing the new heavy hardcover Harry Potter. I finis...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » One Luxury
December 05, 7:39pm

Re: dirty girl gaiters
The ID event gaiter were pretty close fitting, and I have a thick leg. The fact that they were simple tube gaiters meant that 1) I had to pull the snug gaiter as high up onto my calf as possible t...

In Gear Lists » AT January Thru
December 04, 12:38pm

All Reader Reviews by Shawn Basil

Showing 1 - 10 of 14 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Gregory Z-55
After loving my old Gregory Z-Pack, I had high hopes for the beautifully ventilated Z-55. As a southeastern hiker, I usually head west to high cool mountains when summer heat and humidity begin to ba...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 03, 11:25am

ULA Catalyst
I've owned 14 packs in the last 8 years and the ULA Catalyst is the best pack of the lot. I've used in Tennessee's Cumberland Plateau and Great Smoky Mountains, Nevada's Tahoe Rim Tra...

August 01, 9:23pm

Princeton Tec EOS
For years I used my Tikka and Tikka Plus, exuberantly satisfied with the compact, lightweight, and long-lasting nature of their light. But at times, I found that when I really needed extra light, suc...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
February 24, 3:53pm

Probar Energy Bar
When I first tried a Probar, I though I had finally found the "perfect trail bar" to challenge the venerable Bear Valley Pemmican Bar. It packs smaller, weighs slightly less, performs just ...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
February 23, 5:13pm

Bear Valley Mealpack Bars
Bear Valley Meal Pack and Pemmican Bars are, without a doubt, one of the most efficient foods a backpacker can hope to carry. Since I first encountered them as a scout at Philmont 22 years ago, they ...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
February 23, 4:55pm

GoLite Phantom Jacket
This was my jacket during my Colorado Trail through-hike this past summer. It's breathability is better than most, and its ventilation is superb. I hiked many miles over two weeks through monsoo...

In Clothing - Raingear
February 21, 1:55pm

Arc'Teryx Sirrus Jacket
This jacket, made in 2002 and 2003 used a combination of XCR Goretex with Paclite fabric, a combination I have not seen in other jackets. The breathability is, to put it mildly, superb. The material...

In Clothing - Raingear
February 21, 1:44pm

Mountainsmith Ghost
For warm weather in areas where I don't need to carry large amounts of water, this is my favorite pack. I use the original blue 2002 version. The pack is a dream for my longer torso. For those ...

February 21, 1:36pm

Gregory Z-Pack
I love my old, but tough 2004 Z-pack. It served me well for over 1000 miles and is still in good overall shape. My size large weighs in at exactly 3 pounds (after trimming off nearly 4 ounces of unn...

February 21, 1:23pm

Complete Walker by Colin Fletcher
I first read The Complete Walker III in 1997. I'd been backpacking recreationally for 15 years, but still learned a tremendous amount and appreciated the well-written prose and humor in the book....

In Books and Media
February 21, 10:27am