Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

David Chenault (DaveC) - BPL Staff

My Locale Crown of the Continent
About Me Social worker. Backcountry traveler and writer in my spare time.

I have given up on PMs due to their tendency to encourage poorly considered inquiries. Please contact me through my website. I enjoy pack construction and trip planning questions in particular.
CityThe Fish
StateMontana
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://bedrockandparadox.com
My PDF Gear ListWinter '14/15

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Chenault

Showing 2331 - 2340 of 3588 | Page: 1 ...225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 ...359

Forum » Thread

re: snow
In the rockies mid-September is indeed a total crapshoot. The weather can be absolutely gorgeous/totally perfect/best of the year hiking weather or it can be quite awful. Of Glacier, Yellowstone,...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Another trip ideas thread: Western US 5-7 days in September
June 14, 12:17pm

Bushbuddy virtues
The bushbuddy is a pretty amazing fuel miser compared to the hobo stoves I've made. It also burns more completed, burns faster and hotter, and is way less smoky. I had similar doubts about ...

In GEAR » Why should I spend the cash for a BushBuddy?
June 14, 7:56am

east side conditions
Gary, I haven't been over to the east side of the park in a few months. It generally gets less snow, and more sun, so I'd imagine it's melting faster. I was on top of Swiftcurrent Mou...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » GNP conditions report
June 13, 9:05am

GNP conditions report
Got out into the northern heart of Glacier this weekend, and thought some might find this useful for upcoming visits. For those who don't know, Glacier had a near record snow year, and we...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » GNP conditions report
June 13, 8:08am

Frank wilderness
David, that sounds like a really cool project, and the Frank/Selway complex certainly suits your needs. Go for it, and report back! Scott, I have been there that time of year, and by MT standar...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Longest section of unbroken wilderness trail in lower 48?
June 10, 7:47pm

Frank v. PCT
During the hiking season that stretch of the PCT is rather to very traveled/crowded. The trail is dead obvious and well maintained, the views are tremendous. I've hiked in the Selway region...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Longest section of unbroken wilderness trail in lower 48?
June 10, 12:24pm

narrow shoes
I have narrow, very low volume feet. I've had success with LaSportiva and the Inov8 shoes with the performance last (eg OROC 280, XTalon 212). The comfort lasted shoes (eg Roclite 315) were m...

In GEAR » Can anyone recommend light weight trail shoes which run narrow?
June 10, 10:12am

big wilderness
If you're willing to go with roadless rather than capitol W juridical Wilderness options open up a bit. The Frank/Selway still might win. North to South you can go from the Canadian bor...

June 09, 9:27pm

re: Scotland
Great TR. Looks like a place to visit.

In Post-Trip Reports » 8 Days of Wrath on the Cape Wrath Trail
June 09, 12:10pm

SOLD
To Mr. Redick.

In Gear Swap » FS: MLD Simple Sil Poncho/tarp
June 09, 7:49am

All Reader Reviews by David Chenault

Showing 1 - 10 of 25 | Page: 1 2 3

Review

Category

STARBUCKS VIA Italian Roast
Tastes good enough, tiny and easy to use. What could be better? It not being so darn expen$ive.

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
July 27, 2:17pm

Lara Bars Cherry Pie
Tasty, moist, tasty, good calorie to weight ratio, compact, resists deformation, doesn't freeze too bad in the cold, tasty, made of real food, and tasty! Bar-shaped food does not get any bett...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
July 27, 2:16pm

Patagonia Capilene 1 T-Shirt
Cap 1 seems to have changed very little since it was called silkweight capilene back in the day. It dries very quickly, wicks pretty well (though not as well as cap 2), and most importantly feels lig...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
July 27, 2:12pm

Therm-A-Rest Ridgerest
I use a cut-down 48" Ridgerest on every trip. Bombproof, comfy, light, cheap. In winter, I add a full length under it. I actually sleep better on this than most inflatables, but realize I&...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
April 11, 10:47am

MLD Trailstar
In summary: Aside from a bivy sack for good weather and race pace endeavors, I've sold off the rest of my shelters. It's a great cross of a pyramid and a tarp. Finished weight, seam sealed...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
April 11, 10:39am

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
It's hard to get more warmth for the weight (or price). I like having a few pieces to add in as supplementary feet and/or torso pieces. It is quite fragile. Do not leave this on the outside o...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
March 28, 3:18pm

FireLite Trapper's Mug
A very well designed cup. Light, but seems just as functionaly durable as Snowpeak or Evernew stuff. Ideal size for a soloist. The taller than it is wide shape is one I prefer for cooking on a fire...

In Cookware - Titanium
March 28, 3:03pm

Patagonia Houdini Wind Jacket
Note 1: This is a review of my 2005/6 Houdini. It's longevity is revealing (it may have been the Dragonfly back then, even). Note 2: If the price is outrageous, no one would buy it! The prote...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 29, 8:08pm

Patagonia Ready Mix Softshell Pants
I disagree with all Kev's objections, and desperately wish I could find more mediums to buy. The simplicity is what I love best. Actually, the perfect in all conditions from 70-10 F fabric is ...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 29, 8:00pm

patagonia down sweater
Note: I'm folding this review of the Down hooded pullover into this section because 1) the hooded p/o isn't made anymore, 2) the critical comments likely apply broadly. I really liked the d...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
January 27, 10:07am