Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Scott Bentz (scottbentz) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me I live in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. I can get to a lot of nice hiking areas right from my street or travel for 15 minutes to higher elevations in the Angeles National Forrest. I started packing again with my sons in their Boy Scout troop. I was definitely not light that first trip 6 years ago and have been reducing my pack weight ever since. I mainly pack a few times a year in the Eastern and Western Sierras.
My PDF Gear ListNorth Lake South Lake 2012

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Scott Bentz

Showing 231 - 240 of 436 | Page: 1 ...15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ...44

Forum » Thread

Canisters
On our JMT this year we used canisters for the 4 of us. We had 2 stoves between the 4 of us. We were out 14 days and never ran out of fuel using the 8 oz. canister. We only cooked once a day to he...

In GEAR » Stove type efficiency for longer outings
October 21, 11:34am

Hot Liquids
I usually drink my hot liquids while I'm waiting for my food to rehydrate/cook. I like cup of soup or miso soup. In the winter I would also heat water later on for a strong cup of hot chocolate...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » How does this sound for a food list?
October 19, 10:24am

Seal Skinz
Seal Skinz are waterproof but not breathable like Goretex. My son took a high school trip last winter to the Yosemite Institute. I posted a question on the board regarding what to do. I did not wan...

In GEAR » Goretex How cold and snowy does it need to be?
October 19, 10:05am

Mariposa Plus
Laurence, See PM I sent you. The Mariposa Plus is a big pack for a lightweight hiker. I have never used my extension collar all the way extended. In fact, I wish I had the smaller Gorilla. ...

In GEAR » Ohm vs. MariposaPlus
October 15, 3:00pm

Confused
I also, like Brian, have both the Summerlite and the Ultralite Super. I feel the Summerlite is fine for most Sierra 3 season as long as you provide for cold nights and supplement with lofty clothi...

In GEAR » Confused
October 14, 1:14pm

Lots of Snow
If Mammoth Mountain is any indication they say they have 3-4 feet from mid-mountain to the top. Even with rain at higher elevations I would imagine there is a few feet of snow on the passes.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Rae Lakes Loop, too late?
October 14, 12:33pm

7 Days?
My comment is along the lines of the previous post. Why would you need a pack for 7 days at Philmont? The resupply is every 3-4 days. I have always felt it best to pack for Philmont like you are go...

In GEAR » New Pack
October 09, 3:28pm

I thought this was from 2009
Funny, As I was reading this report I thought it was from last week. The Eastern Sierras had snow just the same. I didn't pay attention until a few posts down. Nice trip. Way to follow in...

In Post-Trip Reports » jmt half trip late season
October 07, 6:45pm

Nice
Nice pictures and trip. I certainly would not want to get caught in a Contrail with too much snow. The tent is so flat that it really can't shed snow at all. I can see how that little snow made...

In Post-Trip Reports » Emigrant Wilderness - Crabtree to Long Lake
October 07, 6:35pm

Bearicade
The Bearicade can be found at: http://www.wild-ideas.net/. Remember you can rent them. We used the weekender and found it barely adequate for 7 days (I know, it's called a weekender and that...

In Gear Lists » Updated Gear List
October 07, 12:26pm

All Reader Reviews by Scott Bentz

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

MSR MIOX
We used a MSR Miox on a trip with 9 people (Scouts). We got very spotty results and ended up playing with the unit more than we wanted. It seemed like the perfect solution but was not worth the wait. ...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
June 03, 5:04pm