BPL Community Profile

Scott Bentz (scottbentz) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me I live in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. I can get to a lot of nice hiking areas right from my street or travel for 15 minutes to higher elevations in the Angeles National Forrest. I started packing again with my sons in their Boy Scout troop. I was definitely not light that first trip 6 years ago and have been reducing my pack weight ever since. I mainly pack a few times a year in the Eastern and Western Sierras.
My PDF Gear ListNorth Lake South Lake 2012

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Scott Bentz

Showing 231 - 240 of 415 | Page: 1 ...15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ...42

Forum » Thread

Contrail or Gatewood
David, I have both shelters. To me they are two different beasts. The Contrail is a full shelter with bug netting and a bathtub floor. Spacious for one. Weighs more than a Gatewood. The Ga...

In GEAR » contrail or gatewood cape?
September 15, 4:08pm

Holy Toledo Again
I have been watching this thread from the beginning. Truly stunning what Brett has done. I want to post right behind Reinhold. I just finished my first JMT thruhike in 14 days. Plenty fast for m...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » JMT speed record attempt
September 09, 5:44pm

Gatewood Cape
I just got back from a JMT thru-hike. We had a complete night of rain (not thundershowers). I stayed completely dry in my Gatewood. No wind to speak of but with a good pitch location one should alw...

In GEAR » What's the perfect poncho tarp?
September 04, 1:18pm

I'm Back: A Report
We just got back from our JMT thru hike. 14 days which included a rest day at Vermillion. It was everything we wanted it to be. Beautiful, fun, and demanding. I can't stop thinking about all of...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Calorie Deficit Question
September 03, 7:16pm

Turkey Bags
I just got back from my JMT hike so I wasn't up on this report. Nice job at getting a Phimont crew to lighten up. It made all the difference in our trip. Turkey bags: so, all the food gets ...

In Philmont » Philmont Trek Experience
September 03, 6:38pm

Packages are ready
Well, I have to say thank you for all of the posts. I am always amazed at the willingness of people to share their knowledge and experience on this site. I went from about 100 calories per ounce...

August 07, 11:17am

My world is upside down.
I got home late last night and had to re-think everything. I took it all apart to calculate the calories per ounce; which I should have done before. It's a real eye opener. I am ditching the 10...

August 06, 9:30am

Mountain House for 2
I am eating the whole package myself. It usually comes out to be about 640 to 720 cal. per package. On boy scout trips I always eat half a bag a night (meal for 1) because we only hike about 5-9 mi...

August 05, 3:51pm

Good Info.
Sarah, I agree about the teen thing. He finally did say to just do what I wanted since he is on another trip right now and I have to get this stuff in the mail. Chris, thanks for the information...

August 05, 3:20pm

Calorie Deficit Question
I am just finishing putting together food for my JMT trip in mid August. 14 days including rest day. It's an average of about 19 miles a day. We will resupply at Vermilion and Muir Ranch. A ...

August 05, 11:14am

All Reader Reviews by Scott Bentz

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

MSR MIOX
We used a MSR Miox on a trip with 9 people (Scouts). We got very spotty results and ended up playing with the unit more than we wanted. It seemed like the perfect solution but was not worth the wait. ...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
June 03, 5:04pm