BPL Community Profile

Scott Bentz (scottbentz) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me I live in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. I can get to a lot of nice hiking areas right from my street or travel for 15 minutes to higher elevations in the Angeles National Forrest. I started packing again with my sons in their Boy Scout troop. I was definitely not light that first trip 6 years ago and have been reducing my pack weight ever since. I mainly pack a few times a year in the Eastern and Western Sierras.
My PDF Gear ListNorth Lake South Lake 2012

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Scott Bentz

Showing 231 - 240 of 419 | Page: 1 ...15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ...42

Forum » Thread

No water bladder
My suggestion would be not to use the Platypus as a water bladder at all. The Mariposa Plus has nice side pockets. Get a 1 liter plastic soda bottle and use the short side pocket on the right side....

In GEAR » Gossamer Gear Mariposa question
September 21, 6:37pm

30 Deg. Bag + Down Jacket
I was going to take my MontBell SS #5 (40º) and got nervous so I bought a Western Mountaineering Summerlite (32º) bag for my JMT hike. I thought the warmer bag would be okay because I was also us...

In GEAR » Good summer JMT sleeping bag?
September 21, 4:43pm

Rae Lakes Loop
We were going over Glen Pass on Friday, August 28 and saw someone that was doing the loop in a day. Didn't get his name. We were heading south, he was coming down Glen heading North. I think he...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Rae Lakes Loop in a day.
September 17, 6:43pm

Contrail vs The One
Derek Cox asked: "just curious scott... why would you ever use the contrail over the one if you prefer it it bad conditions and it is lighter?" Derek, Sorry, I posted last night an...

In GEAR » contrail or gatewood cape?
September 16, 11:51am

Contrail or Gatewood
David, I have both shelters. To me they are two different beasts. The Contrail is a full shelter with bug netting and a bathtub floor. Spacious for one. Weighs more than a Gatewood. The Ga...

In GEAR » contrail or gatewood cape?
September 15, 4:08pm

Holy Toledo Again
I have been watching this thread from the beginning. Truly stunning what Brett has done. I want to post right behind Reinhold. I just finished my first JMT thruhike in 14 days. Plenty fast for m...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » JMT speed record attempt
September 09, 5:44pm

Gatewood Cape
I just got back from a JMT thru-hike. We had a complete night of rain (not thundershowers). I stayed completely dry in my Gatewood. No wind to speak of but with a good pitch location one should alw...

In GEAR » What's the perfect poncho tarp?
September 04, 1:18pm

I'm Back: A Report
We just got back from our JMT thru hike. 14 days which included a rest day at Vermillion. It was everything we wanted it to be. Beautiful, fun, and demanding. I can't stop thinking about all of...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Calorie Deficit Question
September 03, 7:16pm

Turkey Bags
I just got back from my JMT hike so I wasn't up on this report. Nice job at getting a Phimont crew to lighten up. It made all the difference in our trip. Turkey bags: so, all the food gets ...

In Philmont » Philmont Trek Experience
September 03, 6:38pm

Packages are ready
Well, I have to say thank you for all of the posts. I am always amazed at the willingness of people to share their knowledge and experience on this site. I went from about 100 calories per ounce...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Calorie Deficit Question
August 07, 11:17am

All Reader Reviews by Scott Bentz

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

MSR MIOX
We used a MSR Miox on a trip with 9 people (Scouts). We got very spotty results and ended up playing with the unit more than we wanted. It seemed like the perfect solution but was not worth the wait. ...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
June 03, 5:04pm