BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 231 - 240 of 1559 | Page: 1 ...15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ...156

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Re: how breathable a wind shell is
I thought that Dave did a good job on his two windshirt SOTM articles but, based on the published Boreas material specification; it was too porous, too heavy, and too prone to snagging to garner an...

In GEAR » how breathable a wind shell is
November 26, 5:55pm

Re: Re: Re: how breathable a wind shell is
I am going to pass on creating forum posts dealing with the testing of the less mainstream windshirts that were released in various years. I tested the Houdini versions for these years: 2008...

November 26, 3:15pm

Re: any posts re CFM data
Mike, I didn't measure the Montane Featherlight air permeability. Any article and most forum posts I have seen on BPL has provided only subjective windshirt air permeability ratings. Unfortu...

November 26, 1:40pm

Re: how breathable a wind shell is
Nian, A hard shell made with a porous membrane, such as eVent, provides “worst case rain protection” in combination with air permeability as high as .53 CFM. This is what I measured on the I...

November 26, 1:08pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Fishnet Warmer?
ab, They were in a climate lab using ergometers. The temp was 5c (41F) with a sustained 2 mph wind. They did two 7 MET heating cycles and 2 cool down cycles per test. The only variable was the k...

In Editor's Roundtable » Just Say No To Wicking: Non-Traditional Base Layers Based on a Next-to-Skin Fishnet Model
November 24, 11:08pm

Re: Re: Just Say No To Wicking: Non-Traditional Base Layers Based on a Next-to-Skin Fishnet Model
Ken, Fishnet is a 90's technology that still works adequately. Power Dry High Efficiency is currently the leading base layer for moisture management.

In Editor's Roundtable » Just Say No To Wicking: Non-Traditional Base Layers Based on a Next-to-Skin Fishnet Model
November 24, 10:44pm

Re: Re: Fishnet Warmer?
Daryl, Yes, all five base layer knits tested had the same breathable layer over them (BDU). They were tested using a wide MET range in cool weather. Although the testers perceived differences i...

November 22, 11:02am

Fishnet Warmer?
When used as a base layer, there is no difference between fishnet and any of the other common knits relative to your core temperature. The only difference is in the perception of moisture on your s...

November 21, 7:43pm

Re: Re: Temperature requirements
AMEN

In GEAR » It's the time of year for.. DOWN PARKAS! Advice on a warm one...
November 17, 2:10pm

Re: bottom line?
140F

In GEAR » GTX paclite DWR issues
November 14, 5:51am

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm