BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 231 - 240 of 1542 | Page: 1 ...15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ...155

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: GTX paclite DWR issues
Roger, Like you, I always wash my WPB gear in non-detergent soap to insure no residue is left to interfere with the DWR but, for the OP, the care instructions for Gore-Tex outerwear explicitly r...

In GEAR » GTX paclite DWR issues
November 05, 5:41pm

Re: GTX paclite DWR issues
Mike, The fluorocarbon spikes need about 140 F to stand erect, and minimize the surface energy. Buy or rent an IR thermometer and place a large piece of paper masking tape on your dryer watll. ...

In GEAR » GTX paclite DWR issues
November 05, 4:46am

Re: Patagonia makes dry down
DWRs degrade from abrasion as well as washing; every stuff / un-stuff cycle causes abrasion as does just sleeping in or wearing the item.

In GEAR » Patagonia makes dry down
November 03, 3:52pm

Re: 24 Hours: Packrafting the Grande Ronde River
Ryan That was a GREAT trip report and video! What was your initial impression of the Alpacka dry suit?

In Editor's Roundtable » 24 Hours: Packrafting the Grande Ronde River
October 30, 9:25pm

Re: Re: Aeonclad
Tony, Thanks for the note. I am going to try and make the January trip.

In GEAR » Two synergystic technologies coming together?
October 25, 6:08pm

Aeonclad
My bet is on the Patagonia / Aeonclad's technology to MOST improve down's moisture handling characteristics. Ageonclad uses Plasma Enhanced Chemical Vapor Depositions (PECVD) which provides...

In GEAR » Two synergystic technologies coming together?
October 25, 3:11pm

Five Ten Trailwind
Excellent combo tread for wet rocks AND mud. Same last as the other Five Ten shoes. This model started out as my favorite packrafting shoe and then replaced my Hard Rocks for UL backpacking.

In GEAR » Experience with Five Ten camp4 and guide shoes
October 23, 4:11am

Re: Re: Softshell Fabrics Compared
Brian, The simple way to calculate your combined CFM is: AP11 – AP1N are the air permeability values of the individual layers.

In GEAR » Softshell Fabrics Compared
October 17, 1:56pm

Re: Testing Waterproof Down
Water repellent coatings typically reduce the material's surface energy; this is relevant to preventing water in a liquid state from being absorbed. Water repellent coatings do not typically...

In GEAR » Testing Waterproof Down
October 13, 10:31pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: so what
Jerry, Each peer reviewed research paper test shows MINOR variations in the aerial density/insulation curve shape. I wouldn't place undo importance in a .007 clo variance for one test.

In GEAR » Smaller sleeping bag with 100% overfill: I am confused
October 07, 7:47pm

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm