BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock
StateCO
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 231 - 240 of 641 | Page: 1 ...15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ...65

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Continued Problem
Honestly, it sounds like a caching issue, where the browser is showing you a cached page and not the latest. I also know from other websites I have visited and talked with their administrator that...

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » Continued Problem
January 03, 3:25pm

Re: Esbit will become more popular in time
I admit to being a bit of a neat freak. The idea of using a fuel that leaves soot all over my stuff is just disgusting. I'll stick with alcohol thank you.

In GEAR » how come esbit is not more popular?
January 02, 9:31pm

Re: New Stove Recommendations
I have the first generation Jetboil (i.e., a heavy 16oz). I use it when I am less concerned about weight (car camping, 1 night trips). I am a recent convert to alcohol and recently acquired the C...

In GEAR » New Stove Recommendations
January 02, 11:30am

Re: Re: roan plateau
I tried on the Roan Plateau in the GoLite store over the holidays. I am 5'9" 150 and found the Medium quite roomy. Normally I wear a small but found that with the Roan that I needed a Me...

In Gear Swap » FS: Men's Roan Plateau 800 Fill Down Jacket (Medium)
January 02, 9:24am

2013 Plans
1] 2-3 short backpack trips (2-3 nights each). Buffalo Peaks Wilderness, South Fork of the Conejos River loop, Indian Peaks Wilderness are just some of the locations I am looking at. 2] Hike/Cl...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » 2013 Plans
December 31, 9:55pm

R2 is a much better option than a Nanopuff
Dave I am completely with you. I owned a Nanopuff for a while but quickly concluded that it simply doesn't breath well enough. I frequently found myself sweating in the conditions/temps that ...

In GEAR » Am I nuts,the Nanopuff doesnt work for me?Is the praise just hype?
December 31, 9:39pm

Re: Nuanced Details....
"Moreover, they seem (as far as I can tell, and someone correct me if I'm wrong) that they aren't meant to be drawn up completely sealed under you. That bottom opening simply doesn'...

In GEAR » Quilt Suggestion for Newbie
December 29, 10:28pm

Re: Re: Quilt Suggestion for Newbie
I would second the recommendation for Katabatic Gear Alsek or Sawatch. Always better to have a healthy margin for error. I have the Chisos Regular and it is true to its temp rating for me and I a...

In GEAR » Quilt Suggestion for Newbie
December 29, 3:34pm

Bivy and a Book
MLD Bug Bivy and the official Colorado Trail Guide (8th edition).

In GEAR » So, What did Santa Bring his Ultra Light Helpers this Year?
December 27, 7:55pm

Price Drop: Marmot EcoPro 15 Sleeping Bag $60
Bump for price drop.

In Gear Swap » FS Marmot EcoPro 15 Sleeping Bag
December 26, 11:31pm

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm