Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

John Whynot (jdw01776) - BPL Guest

My Locale Southeast Texas
About Me Hiking and backpacking (on and off) since 1976, mainly in the northeastern United States.
CityHouston
StateTX
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Whynot

Showing 231 - 240 of 557 | Page: 1 ...15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ...56

Forum » Thread

Re: Philmont suitable boots
>>They have a vibram sole but it is more flexible than a "backpacking" boot and the Wasatch GTX's which have a very stiff sole Footwear for backpacking should have a flexible s...

In GEAR » Philmont suitable boots
January 02, 2:47pm

Re: Re: insulated pants
@Jeremy -- I attended ADK winter school in 1981, but it looks like the format hasn't changed much (although we camped out more nights). Every night in camp, we would gather as a group and discu...

In Gear Lists » Winter clothing options
December 30, 10:26am

Re: Winter clothing options
If this is the ADK Winter School, I would bring all of your options, and discuss what to take on the backpacking trip with the instructors. As far as insulated pants, I would not take anything t...

In Gear Lists » Winter clothing options
December 29, 9:10pm

Re: Samuel Gardner's "All in Trek" Gear List
Interesting read, but I'd be cold, wet, and my feet frozen, using that equipment in the winter in the Adirondacks. I think he's too light on the sleeping bag and pad. Plus, I'd want a b...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Samuel Gardner's "All in Trek" Gear List
December 29, 2:51pm

Re: Re: 2010 Backpacking Light Staff Picks - HP 12C
I had an 11C -- after 20+ years of service, sold it to a collector on eBay, and purchased a Montbell Alpine Light Jacket with the proceeds...

In Editor's Roundtable » 2010 Backpacking Light Staff Picks
December 28, 7:07pm

Re: Summer Bag
Another vote for the WM Summerlite -- I've been comfortable into the mid 20s wearing a base layer, fleece sleep socks, wool beanie, and ID PLQ jacket. Typically use a torso length pad with it...

In GEAR » Summer Bag
December 26, 8:58pm

Re: "GG Nightlight 3/4 to Folded Torso?"
Another option would be to cut a 10" wide piece off the end of you Nightlight, and use that in the pad pocket (equivalent to a SitLight pad). You could then attach the remaining length of pad ...

In GEAR » GG Nightlight 3/4 to Folded Torso?
December 25, 7:43pm

Re: Prolite small vs. regular
If you're already using a torso length pad, you can switch to the torso length Prolite XS. I used the small, and this year switched to the XS. I use my empty pack under my legs, or I can also s...

In GEAR » Prolite small vs. regular
December 25, 5:04pm

Re: re: liner
Sid: I've never used the compacter bags. I haven't been able to find unscented ones, plus the BPL bags I use are a bit larger, less likely to pop a seam when filling with gear...

In GEAR » Pack Liner Preferences
December 23, 10:47am

Re: Pack Liner Preferences
I use the BPL XXL size liner in my ULA Conduit. Works well, no problem keeping everything I need to keep dry in it. It is large enough that I can roll the top down multiple times...

In GEAR » Pack Liner Preferences
December 22, 9:33pm

All Reader Reviews by John Whynot

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

StickPic camera mount
A clever, well-engineered, and lightweight (0.35 ounces by my scale) gadget for mounting a camera on the tip of a trekking pole. Should work with any compact camera with a tripod socket. Works ver...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
June 16, 10:55am

BPL Thorofare Trekking Pants
I purchased these as a replacement for my overbuilt Montbell Stretch Windpants. The fabric of the Trekking pants is a microgrid ripstop nylon, with a slightly textured inner surface. Size medium...

In Clothing - Raingear
December 07, 8:31pm