November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

John Whynot (jdw01776) - BPL Guest

My Locale Southeast Texas
About Me Hiking and backpacking (on and off) since 1976, mainly in the northeastern United States.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Whynot

Showing 231 - 240 of 557 | Page: 1 ...15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ...56

Forum » Thread

Re: Philmont suitable boots
>>They have a vibram sole but it is more flexible than a "backpacking" boot and the Wasatch GTX's which have a very stiff sole Footwear for backpacking should have a flexible s...

In GEAR » Philmont suitable boots
January 02, 2:47pm

Re: Re: insulated pants
@Jeremy -- I attended ADK winter school in 1981, but it looks like the format hasn't changed much (although we camped out more nights). Every night in camp, we would gather as a group and discu...

In Gear Lists » Winter clothing options
December 30, 10:26am

Re: Winter clothing options
If this is the ADK Winter School, I would bring all of your options, and discuss what to take on the backpacking trip with the instructors. As far as insulated pants, I would not take anything t...

In Gear Lists » Winter clothing options
December 29, 9:10pm

Re: Samuel Gardner's "All in Trek" Gear List
Interesting read, but I'd be cold, wet, and my feet frozen, using that equipment in the winter in the Adirondacks. I think he's too light on the sleeping bag and pad. Plus, I'd want a b...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Samuel Gardner's "All in Trek" Gear List
December 29, 2:51pm

Re: Re: 2010 Backpacking Light Staff Picks - HP 12C
I had an 11C -- after 20+ years of service, sold it to a collector on eBay, and purchased a Montbell Alpine Light Jacket with the proceeds...

In Editor's Roundtable » 2010 Backpacking Light Staff Picks
December 28, 7:07pm

Re: Summer Bag
Another vote for the WM Summerlite -- I've been comfortable into the mid 20s wearing a base layer, fleece sleep socks, wool beanie, and ID PLQ jacket. Typically use a torso length pad with it...

In GEAR » Summer Bag
December 26, 8:58pm

Re: "GG Nightlight 3/4 to Folded Torso?"
Another option would be to cut a 10" wide piece off the end of you Nightlight, and use that in the pad pocket (equivalent to a SitLight pad). You could then attach the remaining length of pad ...

In GEAR » GG Nightlight 3/4 to Folded Torso?
December 25, 7:43pm

Re: Prolite small vs. regular
If you're already using a torso length pad, you can switch to the torso length Prolite XS. I used the small, and this year switched to the XS. I use my empty pack under my legs, or I can also s...

In GEAR » Prolite small vs. regular
December 25, 5:04pm

Re: re: liner
Sid: I've never used the compacter bags. I haven't been able to find unscented ones, plus the BPL bags I use are a bit larger, less likely to pop a seam when filling with gear...

In GEAR » Pack Liner Preferences
December 23, 10:47am

Re: Pack Liner Preferences
I use the BPL XXL size liner in my ULA Conduit. Works well, no problem keeping everything I need to keep dry in it. It is large enough that I can roll the top down multiple times...

In GEAR » Pack Liner Preferences
December 22, 9:33pm

All Reader Reviews by John Whynot

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

StickPic camera mount
A clever, well-engineered, and lightweight (0.35 ounces by my scale) gadget for mounting a camera on the tip of a trekking pole. Should work with any compact camera with a tripod socket. Works ver...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
June 16, 10:55am

BPL Thorofare Trekking Pants
I purchased these as a replacement for my overbuilt Montbell Stretch Windpants. The fabric of the Trekking pants is a microgrid ripstop nylon, with a slightly textured inner surface. Size medium...

In Clothing - Raingear
December 07, 8:31pm