BPL Community Profile

Richard Matthews (food) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado Rockies
About Me Orienteering 25+ years.

Xski and done 20+ hut trips

Hiked Colorado Trail and now adopter.

Hiked Wonderland Trail

Summitted 29 14'ers.

40+ nights below the rim in the Grand Canyon. Linked trips to walk from Cameron to Elves Chasm.
CityWheat Ridge
StateColorado

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Matthews

Showing 231 - 240 of 392 | Page: 1 ...15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ...40

Forum » Thread

Jack'R'Better
The Jacks'R'Better Down to Earth Pad Converter basically uses that concept. Maybe velcro the bivy top to the pad. http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Pad.htm

In Multiple Use Gear » CCF Floor Bivy
May 04, 10:01am

Re: Unsupported / Unresupplied Hiking
Bill, When you pass a modern restroom are you allowed to use their TP, soap, towels, etc.? For me the biggest issue is the trash. The weight is acceptable, but it attacts vermin and could be...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What does "unsupported" stand for to you?
May 03, 11:56am

Re: Re: unsupported
Aaron, What if you start out with a pack with top pockets and side pockets and then mail the side pockets home, then mail the pack home and do the last several days with just the top pocket/lumb...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What does "unsupported" stand for to you?
May 02, 7:30am

Re: Fanatic Fringe Quilt
I own one. Nice product well made, but it is not wide enough for a side sleeper. Good sized footbox. The temperature rating is accurate if you sleep on your back.

In GEAR » Fanatic Fringe Quilt
May 01, 7:17am

Re: Re: Match the tool to the job
Yep, The GigaPower is a fine stove. It is possible to work around the pin point heat source. The GigaPower windscreen in Ti would much lighter. Pots do work well to do things like brown bage...

In GEAR » BPL Firelite 1300
April 30, 5:50am

Match the tool to the job
I often joke that the Snow Peak GigaPower is appropriate for soldering, but not for cooking. But it heats water fast!!! A Ti skillet is useful if your heat source is broad and less intense. I ...

In GEAR » BPL Firelite 1300
April 30, 4:45am

Re: The bear bag routine in rain
Jeff, We all have different styles, but I always eat first. Sometimes I stop on the trail and eat then walk some more before sleeping. Long term you will benefit from separating eating and s...

In Editor's Roundtable » A Lightweight Guide to Backpacking in Sustained, Cold Rain
April 12, 6:05am

Re: Vapor Barriers
I can ski in a VB shirt and microfleece shirt down to about 10. I use a DriDucks over the two if it is snowing. At breaks I wear a MontBell down sweater. I do not go out when it is cold enough...

In GEAR » Vapor Barriers
April 10, 1:10pm

Re: Like a spring in the desert
“1. Hikers will be confronted with the choice of carrying extra pounds of water or traveling off trail to alternative water sources. Anybody have some formulas or rules of thumb to help hikers de...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Like a spring in the desert
April 08, 7:08am

Re: Re: Re: Windshirt and raingear or poncho and windshirt
Richard, I can not reconcile those numbers with my experience. I use a Campmor UltraLite Extension Poncho/Tarp (9.3 oz.). I have been caught in nasty blowing thunderstorms above timeberline an...

In GEAR » Poncho Vs. Rain Jacket
April 07, 7:49am

All Reader Reviews by Richard Matthews

Showing 1 - 10 of 11 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Trail Designs Customer Service
Rand provides better customer service that we have a right to expect. The Caldera Cones are the most fuel efficient that I have used.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
November 26, 3:48pm

zpacks Company
I have purchased packs and pouches and had Joe do some custom sewing. The quality is excellent and the delivery time is great. I mailed him a G4 for some modifications and received it back in 8 da...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 04, 8:23am

Zpacks Blast 32
Blast 32 by Zpack Options and additions: Webbing belt, Sternum strap, Daisy chain on shoulder straps, Base shock cord loops, One shoulder pouch, Shockcord and cordlock water bottle holder on ...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 26, 9:08am

Equinox Silnylon Poncho
I use the extended version sold through Campmor. Recently I did a rainy week long hike with my 74 year old friend. We wore our ponchos at some time every day for a week. When we were coming out we ...

In Clothing - Raingear
January 04, 9:54am

Jacks R Better No Sniveller quilt
I got the No Sniveller and Nest together to use with my hammock. When wearing expedition weight long underwear the quilts will keep me warm to 30 degrees in the hammock. I also use the NS on the g...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
January 03, 3:23pm

Hennessy Hammock Asym
I have used the Hennessy as my primary shelter for 4 years now. The A-Sym design allows a poncho to be used as the fly. The bottom entry allows the fly to be set very close to the hammock. This...

In Shelters - Hammocks & Accessories
January 03, 3:09pm

Gatorade Bottle
I use a cozy made out of CCF pad so that I can shake my hot beverages. The mouth is just wide enough to allow drink mixes to be added without spilling. They fit in a normal bike bottle holster. ...

In Hydration - Water Storage Containers
January 03, 2:37pm

Trangia 28-5 Mini Aluminum Cook Pot
The lid from the AntiGravityGear 3 cup pot fits pretty well on the pot. Pour in a bag meals become monotonous quickly. This set gives me the ability to fry. The skillet works well with the alco...

In Cookware - Other
January 03, 2:27pm

Mary Jane's Farm Sante Fe Pasta
Don't forget Nick's Couch Potatoes, Red Pesto Pasta and Mac & Cheese. Lots of olive oil with all of them. I generally add chopped turkey pepperoni or bacon crumbles.

In Foods - Prepackaged Meals & Side Dishes
August 04, 7:18am

Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo
This tent brings together many of the superior design features from other light weight tents. The basic design is similar to the Dancing Light Gear Tacoma Solo Shelter. The Lunar solo has a very g...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
August 04, 7:08am