Dan Durston (dandydan) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Cascadia
About Me -
CityThunder Bay
StateON
CountryCanada
My Website URLhttp://www.motorscooterguide.net
My PDF Gear ListBMWO 2013

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Dan Durston

Showing 231 - 240 of 3914 | Page: 1 ...15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ...392

Forum » Thread

Pertex
I have the Montane Minimus Pants and my wife has the Montane Minimus jacket. Both use Pertex Shield+. My durability concerns are with the membrane (as opposed to the face fabrics being used). M...

In GEAR » 2014 Rain Shell Advice (SOTM maybe?)
January 04, 9:28pm

Geko
I've got the Geko 301 and I've never had a problem with signal acquisition. With that said, I turn it on very infrequently so I don't have a great deal of experience with it. I have use...

In Gear Deals » Best GPS: Garmin Geko - Only $29
January 04, 6:45pm

Gear
My suggestion is to develop your product offerings slowly and carefully. If you rush a bunch of mediocre products to market you'll create that reputation for your company - and the UL scene doe...

In GEAR » A new cottage gear company? Whaaa?
January 04, 12:14pm

Names
Arcturus Gear?

In GEAR » A new cottage gear company? Whaaa?
January 04, 11:18am

Best GPS: Garmin Geko - Only $29
An eBay seller has 5 used Garmin Geko 201 GPS's for a nice price of $29 each. These GPS's are great for the UL walker that doesn't rely on GPS, but does value having one as a backup too...

In Gear Deals » Best GPS: Garmin Geko - Only $29
January 04, 10:05am

UL Defs
I see value in having general definitions, even though there are a number of reasons why they don't perfectly apply to every situation. We use definitions because they are helpful, not because ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » I say let's decide on a general consensus of Ultralight definitions and terms.
January 04, 9:29am

eVent
Is the DWR coating on the nylon failing? Or is the membrane failing? A lot of people say their garments aren't waterproof anymore because they misunderstand the difference, and thus declare the...

In GEAR » How do I re-waterproof eVent MLD Rain Mitts ?
January 02, 6:19pm

Locus Gear
The Locus Gear poles are somewhere around the minimum stiffness for skiing. You're not going to break one skiing (ie. hard pole plants) but you could break one crashing pretty easily. I would u...

In GEAR » Locus Gear
January 02, 6:17pm

Inertia O Zone
Interesting pad. I like the shape of it and 12.2oz is reasonable. Those side rails and the round holes are likely quite comfortable. The pillow is a bit of a gamble but it looks promising. I wou...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Inertia O Zone sleeping pad
January 02, 10:54am

Anorak
The three potential advantages of an anorak are: 1) Less weight (zipper weight + fewer seams) 2) Reduced consequences of zipper failure 3) Less risk of water intrusion through the zipper Down...

In GEAR » Winter Shell: Anorak v. Full Zip
January 01, 4:12pm

All Reader Reviews by Dan Durston

Showing 1 - 10 of 25 | Page: 1 2 3

Review

Category

Mountain Laurel Designs Cuben DuoMid
The DuoMid is the best shelter for solo hikers. Don't be misled by the "Duo" in its name - you could cram two hikers in here but it's poorly suited for that (ie. no vestibule space, ...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
September 22, 1:56pm

Evernew 300ml Dbl Wall Mug (ECA354)
I like the idea of a robust, double wall titanium mug that may be a bit heavier...

In Cookware - Titanium
September 22, 11:01am

Montane Minimus DT Pant
These pants are a very niche product. They're light (4.25oz Med) but the Pertex Shield+ m...

In Clothing - Raingear
September 22, 10:31am

Spark-Lite Fire Starter (Survival Gear - BPL Gear Shop)
I have this kit and the FireLite Mini kit. This sparker is a bit lighter than the FireLite Mini but I don't trust this sparker 100% like I do the FireLite. This sparker doesn't work well wh...

In First Aid and Survival Gear & Accessories
October 28, 11:21pm

BPL FireLite Firestarter
I love this FireLite Mini. It's the only thing that I 100% trust to start a fire. With a mini Bic you can run out of gas, be at too high of an altitude, get it wet or get it oily. Matches can ...

In First Aid and Survival Gear & Accessories
October 28, 11:19pm

Hyperlight Mtn Gear Echo I
I wasn't sure where to put this review as the Echo I can be used as either a tarp or a double wall tent. OVERVIEW I've given the Echo I five stars because it's quality construct...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
October 16, 4:15pm

Golite 2006 Reed Pants
I've got the original Reed pants (4oz in a size medium) and they are prefect rain pants for UL hiking. They've been adequately durable, totally waterproof and light. I don't want ankle zip...

In Clothing - Raingear
October 15, 10:27pm

Marmot Essence
I'll be the first one to give this jacket 5 stars. Marmot has made a number of changes to this jacket over the years so criticisms of the earlier models are no longer relevant. My Essence is t...

In Clothing - Raingear
October 15, 10:22pm

Baladeo 22 Grams Knife
This knife is a brilliant design. Every part of it is functional and the result is a lot of knife for just 22g (or 24.3g as mine as actually weighs). When I opened the (very nice) box and first played...

In Miscellaneous Products
October 03, 6:10pm

Nite ize S-Biner
After using another small biner that failed due to a poor design, I switched the Nite Ize Size 1 biner for bear bagging this summer. I use one of these to clip to my 1.4mm spectra cord to my food sack...

In Miscellaneous Products
October 03, 5:56pm