BPL Community Profile

John Vance (Servingko) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Intermountain West
About Me Thru hiked the PCT in 1983 and half of the CDT in 84. Backpacking since 1973 when I did my first 50 miler as a scout. Total gear nut and have dropped from a base weight of 35lbs to 10 - 12lbs and love spending time in the mountains even more. I typically get out for 2 week long trips and several weekend trips each year.
CitySalt Lake City
StateUtah
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Vance

Showing 231 - 240 of 471 | Page: 1 ...15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ...48

Forum » Thread

Mass production vs market potential
I am not sure what can be brought to the table unless a mass produced bivy/small net "tent" can be made for less and still weigh at or around the cottage gear makers. With a constraint o...

In GEAR » Designing a couple of Bivy sacks
June 03, 2:25pm

History Repeats
I hope he is being charged for this. Based on the article he has an apparent history. I am all for challenges but once waved off the helicopter because I was fine and no one asked them to come l...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Overdue Hiker Found By Rangers
June 02, 10:24am

Wide Versions
From what I understand, he will be coming out with wide versions for all his bags, slowly rolling them out across each model. I didn't go with the wide version since the regular works so well....

In GEAR » Katabatic Chisos-40 degree quilt...
June 01, 1:48pm

Chisos update....
Update: Four nights with the Chisos (2oz overfill) on a Med Exped UL 7 with a 48"pad underneath (1/4" CCF) on snow, with temps in the mid 20's makes me a believer. When I first la...

In GEAR » Katabatic Chisos-40 degree quilt...
June 01, 11:02am

4 Nights on snow...
I have 4 nights on snow in the mid 20's temps and was fine. This was combined with a 16oz quilt and a 1/4" CCF pad. It was just barely warm enough without the CCF but since I was on snow...

In GEAR » Anybody own the New Exped Synmat UL7?
June 01, 8:22am

Enjoy the stars
I honestly cant' remember the last time I had a camp fire. We sit around until we get too cold and then turn in.

In GEAR » No Wood Fires - Any Bright Ideas?
May 30, 6:38pm

Chisos initial look
I received my Chisos with 2oz overfill yesterday and just wanted to update those waiting to hear a little more about my initial impressions. First off I must say that I continue to be very impress...

In GEAR » New Quilt
May 26, 9:18am

Chisos
I have a Chisos at home waiting for me to open the box up. I am headed out tomorrow afternoon for the weekend but will try to give a first impression. I currently own a Sawatch and had a Palisade...

In GEAR » New Quilt
May 25, 4:38pm

Weight
As I recall, the pumpsack is 1.5oz and the PVC is less than a half oz.

May 24, 11:17am

Exped Inflation
I am using the BA pumpsack and a short piece of PVC tubing that came with my Kookabay pad. I had to add a little foam tape to build up the outside diameter of the tubing, but it now works for both...

May 24, 10:26am

All Reader Reviews by John Vance

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Chisos
This is from previous posts but I thought I would include it here as well. I received my Chisos with 2oz overfill and just wanted to update those waiting to hear a little more about my initial imp...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 06, 11:48am

Katabatic Gear Sawatch
I know I only have spent 4 nights using my Katabatic Sawatch, I wanted to get a review out for those interested that I have posted elsewhere on this site but not in the review area. I can say thi...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 10, 10:18am

Six Moon Designs Swift10
Now that I have some miles on my 2010 Swift I thought I would prepare a more thorough review. I have been using a 2006 SMD Starlight for the past few years and really love it coming from a brief stin...

In Backpacks - Frameless
June 10, 10:09am

Kookabay Custom Down Air Mattress (DAM)
I recently my pad from Bender yesterday and have to say I am impressed. The seams and sealing is very consistent, straight, and even. My custom pad used the standard 70d fabric and is 24" wide, 6...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 22, 11:08am