BPL Community Profile

John Vance (Servingko) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Intermountain West
About Me Thru hiked the PCT in 1983 and half of the CDT in 84. Backpacking since 1973 when I did my first 50 miler as a scout. Total gear nut and have dropped from a base weight of 35lbs to 10 - 12lbs and love spending time in the mountains even more. I typically get out for 2 week long trips and several weekend trips each year.
CitySalt Lake City
StateUtah
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Vance

Showing 231 - 240 of 468 | Page: 1 ...15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ...47

Forum » Thread

Chisos update....
Update: Four nights with the Chisos (2oz overfill) on a Med Exped UL 7 with a 48"pad underneath (1/4" CCF) on snow, with temps in the mid 20's makes me a believer. When I first la...

In GEAR » Katabatic Chisos-40 degree quilt...
June 01, 11:02am

4 Nights on snow...
I have 4 nights on snow in the mid 20's temps and was fine. This was combined with a 16oz quilt and a 1/4" CCF pad. It was just barely warm enough without the CCF but since I was on snow...

In GEAR » Anybody own the New Exped Synmat UL7?
June 01, 8:22am

Enjoy the stars
I honestly cant' remember the last time I had a camp fire. We sit around until we get too cold and then turn in.

In GEAR » No Wood Fires - Any Bright Ideas?
May 30, 6:38pm

Chisos initial look
I received my Chisos with 2oz overfill yesterday and just wanted to update those waiting to hear a little more about my initial impressions. First off I must say that I continue to be very impress...

In GEAR » New Quilt
May 26, 9:18am

Chisos
I have a Chisos at home waiting for me to open the box up. I am headed out tomorrow afternoon for the weekend but will try to give a first impression. I currently own a Sawatch and had a Palisade...

In GEAR » New Quilt
May 25, 4:38pm

Weight
As I recall, the pumpsack is 1.5oz and the PVC is less than a half oz.

May 24, 11:17am

Exped Inflation
I am using the BA pumpsack and a short piece of PVC tubing that came with my Kookabay pad. I had to add a little foam tape to build up the outside diameter of the tubing, but it now works for both...

May 24, 10:26am

Another happy Swift user
I have had mine for a little over a year and love it as well. The pockets are my favorite feature and I don't know how I got along so many years without them.

In GEAR » Pack Recommendation
May 23, 4:19pm

5 Nights
Assuming you are in very good shape and not prone to altitude sickness, it could be done in five nights as long as the first and last days are FULL hiking days and not partial travel days. However...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Wind River Range trip
May 23, 1:28pm

Winds
I have been on all of that route and either heading in from the north or south would put you out at Elkhardt meadows. You could go in at Elkhardt and move north or south as well. The south half i...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Wind River Range trip
May 23, 1:19pm

All Reader Reviews by John Vance

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Chisos
This is from previous posts but I thought I would include it here as well. I received my Chisos with 2oz overfill and just wanted to update those waiting to hear a little more about my initial imp...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 06, 11:48am

Katabatic Gear Sawatch
I know I only have spent 4 nights using my Katabatic Sawatch, I wanted to get a review out for those interested that I have posted elsewhere on this site but not in the review area. I can say thi...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 10, 10:18am

Six Moon Designs Swift10
Now that I have some miles on my 2010 Swift I thought I would prepare a more thorough review. I have been using a 2006 SMD Starlight for the past few years and really love it coming from a brief stin...

In Backpacks - Frameless
June 10, 10:09am

Kookabay Custom Down Air Mattress (DAM)
I recently my pad from Bender yesterday and have to say I am impressed. The seams and sealing is very consistent, straight, and even. My custom pad used the standard 70d fabric and is 24" wide, 6...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 22, 11:08am