BPL Community Profile

John Vance (Servingko) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Intermountain West
About Me Thru hiked the PCT in 1983 and half of the CDT in 84. Backpacking since 1973 when I did my first 50 miler as a scout. Total gear nut and have dropped from a base weight of 35lbs to 10 - 12lbs and love spending time in the mountains even more. I typically get out for 2 week long trips and several weekend trips each year.
CitySalt Lake City
StateUtah
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Vance

Showing 231 - 240 of 485 | Page: 1 ...15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ...49

Forum » Thread

+1 on Long sleeves
I too pull my sleeves over my hands for sun protection. I have modified a couple of base layers with thumb holes farther back in the sleeve to accommodate this and it works great.

In GEAR » Sun Gloves?
June 26, 1:35pm

Panel
I too received one of these and the speaker for father's day and have been playing a bit with it. I don't intend to take it backpacking, but it could be removed from the heavy nylon and go...

In GEAR » Nomad 7 Solar Panel
June 26, 1:32pm

Hot or cold???
Just when I was warming up to the idea of global warming I am now being told that we are headed into the next ice age by the same people using the same data!!!! Glad I have a summer AND a winter q...

In Chaff » The Carbon Flame War
June 23, 10:00am

After Labor Day
After Labor Day has always been my favorite time in the Winds as typically the days are warm (50-60's), the nights cold (20-30's), the skies are clear, and there are little to no bugs. The...

In Fishing » Wind River Range in July
June 21, 4:46pm

Pack rifle
I have no need for a rifle but that is very cool. Two distributors in my backyard......I may have to check one out.

In Other Activities » Ti Goat Rifle
June 21, 9:15am

Katabatic Hoods
Just an FYI - The lighter hood is back in stock, 6 are available less the one I ordered.

In GEAR » Katabatic Alsek quilt w/pictures
June 16, 10:57am

Katabatic
I have a Katabatic Sawatch and a Chisos with a 2 oz overfill. Previous quilt experience includes a Golite Ultra 20, Golite 3 Season, Nunatak Arc Alpinist, and a couple of MYOG versions. The Katab...

In GEAR » Quilt versus mummy sleeping bags
June 16, 8:21am

Versalite Weight
I had a Versalite and it was 34oz as well. I was told that they hadn't updated the site to reflect the "new" weight....that was 4 years ago.

In GEAR » WM Versalite vs. Ultralite - Confused
June 15, 7:43am

Jetboil
I have the SOL ti and have no wobble issues. Moreover, I contacted Jetboil to discuss the "flimsy" cozy and was told I could have my choice of the SOL Alu or the Zip cozy. I chose the Z...

In GEAR » Canistor Stove Systems
June 14, 8:21am

SMD
Take a look at Six Moon Designs Starlite and Traveler as well.

In GEAR » Oxymoronic pack question?
June 09, 6:37am

All Reader Reviews by John Vance

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Chisos
This is from previous posts but I thought I would include it here as well. I received my Chisos with 2oz overfill and just wanted to update those waiting to hear a little more about my initial imp...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 06, 11:48am

Katabatic Gear Sawatch
I know I only have spent 4 nights using my Katabatic Sawatch, I wanted to get a review out for those interested that I have posted elsewhere on this site but not in the review area. I can say thi...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 10, 10:18am

Six Moon Designs Swift10
Now that I have some miles on my 2010 Swift I thought I would prepare a more thorough review. I have been using a 2006 SMD Starlight for the past few years and really love it coming from a brief stin...

In Backpacks - Frameless
June 10, 10:09am

Kookabay Custom Down Air Mattress (DAM)
I recently my pad from Bender yesterday and have to say I am impressed. The seams and sealing is very consistent, straight, and even. My custom pad used the standard 70d fabric and is 24" wide, 6...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 22, 11:08am