Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

John Vance (Servingko) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Intermountain West
About Me Thru hiked the PCT in 1983 and half of the CDT in 84. Backpacking since 1973 when I did my first 50 miler as a scout. Total gear nut and have dropped from a base weight of 35lbs to 10 - 12lbs and love spending time in the mountains even more. I typically get out for 2 week long trips and several weekend trips each year.
CitySalt Lake City
StateUtah
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Vance

Showing 231 - 240 of 503 | Page: 1 ...15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ...51

Forum » Thread

Helicopter
I always tell my wife before a trip that if they put a heli in the air, make sure they understand that it's on their dime as I will most likely wave them off. It's the Welchman in me.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Grand Teton climber receives disorderly conduct fine
September 30, 4:10pm

Sol Ti
I have moved from an Optimus 8R through pretty much everything including cat stoves. The latest has been a Sol ti and I couldn't be happier. Much faster than my PCS, more fuel efficient, and...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Integrated Canister Fuel Cooking Systems State of the Market Report 2011: Part 1 – Overview and Performance Evaluation
September 29, 2:55pm

No Stove
When going solo or big miles/elevation is a major part of the trip, I go no stove no cook and don't miss it for a minute.

In GEAR » Done with stoves, no more
September 16, 1:08pm

Quilt Width
I have two Katabatic quilts in regular width and am 5' 9" 170lbs with a 42" chest and 31" waist. I am also a tossing and turning side sleeper and find the width adequate. I ju...

In GEAR » Katabatic Quilts
September 16, 11:00am

High Winds
That can be a bit sketchy but doable if the snow isn't to hard to kick steps into. Hay pass would be better or the pass above Timko Lake. I am headed in for a couple of weeks this Friday an...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Wind Rivers - Indian Pass to Alpine Lakes Pass
August 31, 2:42pm

Strapless
I usually go strapless as well. I have a couple quilts with the latest being a Katabatic Chisos. With the new elastic around the edges, I find that just snapping the top closed is enough as it ac...

In GEAR » do any quilters go "strapless"
August 30, 8:59am

Down density
I would say it's a combination of too large baffle spacing and not enough fill. You may think otherwise, but fixing one or the other, or both, would make all the difference.

In GEAR » Sierra Sniveler: shivering and sniveling
August 25, 1:14pm

Stealth Camping
I always stealth camp and have only had a couple of nightime e counters in thousands of nights. One was a Grizzly in the north end of the winds where I was camped in a narrow chute on a game trail...

In On the Web » Bear attacks in Colorado
August 22, 11:16am

Too wide?
It's a personal thing, but if you can close the quilt completely up without compromising the loft, I would say it's too wide. However, if you are a sprawler it may be the perfect setup. I...

In GEAR » When is a quilt too wide?
August 20, 7:49am

Pad & Quilt
i too keep the quilt tucked under me and not the pad. As a mostly side sleeper, I find that I am warmer and more comfortable that way. I also sleep in long underwear which adds to the comfort lev...

In GEAR » Pad with quilt use.
August 20, 7:34am

All Reader Reviews by John Vance

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Chisos
This is from previous posts but I thought I would include it here as well. I received my Chisos with 2oz overfill and just wanted to update those waiting to hear a little more about my initial imp...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 06, 11:48am

Katabatic Gear Sawatch
I know I only have spent 4 nights using my Katabatic Sawatch, I wanted to get a review out for those interested that I have posted elsewhere on this site but not in the review area. I can say thi...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 10, 10:18am

Six Moon Designs Swift10
Now that I have some miles on my 2010 Swift I thought I would prepare a more thorough review. I have been using a 2006 SMD Starlight for the past few years and really love it coming from a brief stin...

In Backpacks - Frameless
June 10, 10:09am

Kookabay Custom Down Air Mattress (DAM)
I recently my pad from Bender yesterday and have to say I am impressed. The seams and sealing is very consistent, straight, and even. My custom pad used the standard 70d fabric and is 24" wide, 6...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 22, 11:08am