Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

ROBERT TANGEN (RobertM2S) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Lake Tahoe
About Me From planet Bllffftx.
CityReno
StateNV
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by ROBERT TANGEN

Showing 231 - 240 of 538 | Page: 1 ...15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ...54

Forum » Thread

Shasta death
Would 14,000 feet be enough to cause a pre-existing aneurism to burst?

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Sad news from Mt Shasta
April 02, 10:31pm

Down Pants
For What It's Worth: Nunatak sells large-size down knickers that weigh 8.5 oz. Full-length large pants weigh 9.5 oz.

In Editor's Roundtable » Ultralight Down Pants: Light, Warm, and Versatile
March 23, 9:35pm

Ski / snow camping
In my non-expert opinion, the best time for this is just about to start: Spring. Days are longer, and avalanche danger is usually less. A 200-foot hill can kill in Winter: “Our best guess was t...

In GEAR » Some notes on ski/snow camping
March 01, 5:40pm

Boots
I'm no expert, but you might find the following (from a guide service about Whitney) interesting: "Boots - Due to snow levels and frequent freezing temperatures, mountaineering boots are m...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Light boot for steep snow on Whitney?
February 28, 10:54pm

AYE
I'm no expert, but I would carry a VERY small amount of red klister, because there are some snow conditions in which you cannot progress without klister. It will eventually wear off your skis.

In Gear Lists » Alaska-Yukon Expedition: 4,700 miles and 7 months; start in 4 weeks
February 15, 6:41pm

My storm camp
Re: "For some of us who are not terribly flexible, the trench or pit by the front door is good." You speak TRUTH. It's like the difference between eating dinner sitting on a chair, ...

In Winter Hiking » My "storm" camp
January 26, 10:03pm

Non-woven Dyneema
FWIW (This may be old news): "CiloGear is proud to announce our newest WorkSacks, the Non-Woven Dyneema® series. Made to supply maximum strength with the absolute minimum weight, our Non-Wov...

In GEAR » Non-woven Dyneema
January 26, 9:29pm

Floorless on Denali
Roman Dial wrote: “I think the floorless pyramid style of tents are the BEST choice for winter camping.” Roman, I’m assuming there is an implied exception for places like the 17,200-foot Hi...

In Winter Hiking » floorless shelter techique
November 22, 2:53pm

Winter Tent
You said: "Weight is not a concern, as the campsites will be served by a vehicle. My criteria, in order of importance, are: 1. Stability in the wind. I'll be camping on exposed ridges ad...

In GEAR » Which Winter Tent? MSR vs. Black Diamond vs. Marmot
October 27, 9:44pm

Goat Rocks
Very nice. P.S. Some snowfields with rocks or cliffs at the bottom can be dangerous, did you use, or wish you had something to self-arrest with?

In Post-Trip Reports » Goat Rocks, WA - 4 Day Trip
September 20, 2:43pm

All Reader Reviews by ROBERT TANGEN

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Zpacks Arc Blast 60 liter
I received my Zpacks Arc Blast, the large 60 liter, 17.0 oz. size for winter loads, and love it. If you are worried about getting poked, don’t worry, the stays terminate at the bottom end BEHIND the ...

In Backpacks - External Frame
September 13, 6:24pm

Rab Boreas extremely thin soft shell
1. David Chenault: “I'm a huge fan. It's been a great layer for BC skiing thus far. I expect it to be fairly bug proof too.” 2. Noted mountain climber Nils Nielsen: “The last month I’ve be...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
March 06, 3:44pm

WalMart / "Starter" compression shorts
(Others have written that they like these, and I agree.) The WalMart / “Starter” compression shorts are: 1. Long enough to prevent abrasion, even if you have massively muscled, Greek God-like thighs...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
May 02, 1:12pm

MLD 2009 Revelation
Five Stars! I love the new 2009 Revelation from Mountain Laurel Designs! I haven’t wrung it out like Ryan Jordan did for the pack he recently reviewed, so I don’t have his detailed data base, but th...

In Backpacks - Frameless
May 21, 6:12pm