BPL Community Profile

Dave Heiss (DaveHeiss) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest
About Me Backpacker since 1973, started going lighter in 2003
CityCamano Island
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Dave Heiss

Showing 231 - 240 of 271 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Forum » Thread

"Ring of Fire" stove design
How did you feed in the fuel when you tested it with alcohol?

In Make Your Own Gear » Canister Stove "Ring Of Fire" design
August 11, 10:32pm

First lightweight multi-day trip: gear love!
Tim, Let me know how the rainfly replacement project works out. Are you having to dis-assemble your friend's factory rainfly to obtain a piece pattern for the new sil version?

In GEAR » First lightweight multi-day trip: gear-love!
August 06, 2:49pm

First lightweight multi-day trip
Tarptent Contrail. Sigh. I just don't know... Elizabeth, I know what you mean. I used my new Contrail for the first time last weekend on a 4-day trip into the Oval Lakes region of the Che...

In GEAR » First lightweight multi-day trip: gear-love!
August 04, 1:21pm

"Misting" Silnylon
Jim, Thanks for your insights. As a tarptent owner here in Washington, I'm all for maximizing the waterproofness of the silnylon that's over my head. You mentioned - both in the original...

In GEAR » "Misting" Silnylon!
July 24, 3:41pm

Lightweight Fishing
I use the Cabelas V12000 telescoping graphite pole (model TPS60L) paired with a Daiwa Spinmatic-Z 500T from Bass Pro Shops, and for backcountry fishing it's superb. The combo is about 8 ounces,...

In GEAR » Lightweight Fishing
June 11, 4:03pm

Rain/wind shells
David, Make sure you try on the Marmot Ion before purchasing. It was my first choice for a windshell due to it's full zipper, reasonable price and performance. However, on me (6'2",...

In GEAR » Rain/wind shells
May 19, 2:46pm

Zip update
Ron, Whatever name you decide on (I vote for Exodus), don't go too crazy changing the Zip design. A little more capacity in the main bag would be appreciated - maybe as a bigger collar - and...

In GEAR » New Pack Name Help
April 24, 6:03pm

Featherfire XL Stove
I recently bought the Featherfire XL stove, and while its a nifty little design I have not been all that pleased with it. With the airflow holes at full-open the stove burns nice and hot, and with ...

In GEAR » Simmering with alcohol stove
April 17, 7:53pm

Windshirt fit (length)
I used this year’s REI 20% off coupon to pick up a Marmot Ion windshirt, but because my local REI did not have the item in stock I had to order it sight unseen from the website. Now I know sev...

In GEAR » Windshirt fit (length)
April 03, 6:51pm

Great sun hat
Stuart, I've used a Sunday Afternoons hat for a couple of years now, and it's a pretty amazing hat. The 4" brim provides great coverage even when the sun is coming in at low angles,...

In GEAR » Sunday afternoon adventure hat
March 24, 10:08am

All Reader Reviews by Dave Heiss

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Montbell Versalite
Andrea - I'm looking forward to your opinions on the Versalite 50. I've still got that pack on my short list, and hope you can provide some input on its comfort and functionality. My only conc...

In Backpacks - External Frame
August 13, 5:37pm

02 Rainwear Rain Suit
I also have an O2 Rainwear suit. I picked up a pair a few years ago and have been really happy with the performance, but I still wince at the screaming yellow color every time I put them on. It is def...

In Clothing - Raingear
March 26, 11:34am