BPL Community Profile

Dave Heiss (DaveHeiss) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest
About Me Backpacker since 1973, started going lighter in 2003
CityCamano Island
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Dave Heiss

Showing 231 - 240 of 257 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Forum » Thread

Polycro groundsheet
You might want to try a polycro sheet cut to slightly smaller than the footprint of your tent floor. You can get them from Gossamer Gear. They're quite strong and weigh almost nothing.

In GEAR » Floor Saver
January 20, 12:15am

Summerlite is a tight fit
I looked at both the WM Highlite and Summerlite last year, and both are great bags, but I chose the WM Caribou MF due to the full zip and extra circumference. I'm 6'2" and 180 lbs, so ...

In GEAR » WM Highlite vs Summerlite
January 15, 6:35pm

O2 Rainwear
I use a pair of O2 Rainwear (yes, the screaming yellow color) that's held up very well for 4 hiking seasons now. I did get a minor tear in the jacket last year from scrambling under some downed...

In GEAR » Looking for a rain gear compromise
December 27, 2:22pm

Waiting for the OHM
About two weeks ago I heard from Brian at ULA that the OHM project is not dead, just on-hold until some specialized pack materials become available. If Brian can get his hands on the raw materials ...

In GEAR » Need a new pack suggestions
December 26, 5:30pm

SMD clarification
Drew - I should have mentioned that I was referring to the SMD Comet pack, which does not have water bottle pockets. Also, I admit that I'm not a big fan of packs with velcro, and the top closu...

In GEAR » Where to cut weight next ?
December 20, 2:02pm

Some tent/pack suggestions for you
I have a Contrail on order, and did quite a bit of research before selecting it as the best option for me. Other candidates were the Lunar SoloE and the Wild Oasis from Six Moon Designs, but I’m ...

In GEAR » Where to cut weight next ?
December 20, 12:22pm

Ursack closure
I bought the Vectran S21 in 2005 (when the company couldn't obtain their Spectra fabric) and earlier this year I upgraded to the Spectra S29 model. I have to agree that the S29 is difficult to ...

In GEAR » Ursack's SIBBG conditional approval
December 19, 2:34pm

How long is the burn when full?
Michael, I'm also impressed - nice work. Elegant in its simplicity! Have you done any tests to see (approximately) how long the burn is with a full load, and how tall the pot support needs t...

In Make Your Own Gear » 3.3oz downdraft gassifier wood stove
December 19, 10:42am

Carol's list - Komperdell Carbon Featherlite's
I know Carol is a fan of the Komperdell Carbon Featherlite Poles, and I might be too, but I can't seem to find an outlet that carries them in sizes longer than 125cm. Is that their upper size l...

In Editor's Roundtable » 2007 Backpacking Light Staff Picks
December 07, 7:51am

No OHM? Say it isn't so!
That's a real disappointment. From the early news on this pack I was pretty convinced the OHM was going to be a pack well worth waiting for. I'd sure like to hear from Brian if waiting is s...

In GEAR » Ohm No! - ULA Equipment
December 06, 10:19pm

All Reader Reviews by Dave Heiss

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Montbell Versalite
Andrea - I'm looking forward to your opinions on the Versalite 50. I've still got that pack on my short list, and hope you can provide some input on its comfort and functionality. My only conc...

In Backpacks - External Frame
August 13, 5:37pm

02 Rainwear Rain Suit
I also have an O2 Rainwear suit. I picked up a pair a few years ago and have been really happy with the performance, but I still wince at the screaming yellow color every time I put them on. It is def...

In Clothing - Raingear
March 26, 11:34am