Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Shawn Basil (Bearpaw) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Southeast
About Me Eagle Scout, Philmont Ranger, Marine Corps Arctic/Mountain training (Norway deployments), Appalachian Trail Through-hiker ('99), NOLS Instructor ('01-'03), Trail Crew Leader (Cumberland Trail Conference, '00-'05), Pack and Bootfitter (REI, '01-'06), Colorado Trail Through-hiker ('06)
CityNashville
StateTennessee
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6275

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Shawn Basil

Showing 231 - 240 of 284 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Forum » Thread

Why I Hike.......
You know, when I taught for NOLS I always felt good about helping young adults see true wilderness so they would appreciate its value and work to defend it when they heard about opening up that are...

In Philosophy & Technique » I like nature- I am a dirty, crunchy, organic-eating, bike-riding hippie.
January 01, 10:52am

Re: Which one first?
"When applying DWR and Permethrin to soft shell pants, which one goes on first? Does it even matter?" Will the Soft Shell stop insects from piercing the fabric? In the past, I've ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Which one first?
January 01, 9:42am

Re: Re: Re: Newbie Winter AT Hiking Gear List
Hi, I just got back from a few days on the AT in the Smokies myself. Temps were the warmest I've experienced since a 3-day trek in 1999. Daytime highs at 5000 ft were near 60 and nighttime lo...

In Winter Hiking » Newbie Winter AT Hiking Gear List
January 01, 9:22am

Re: Re: Thanks much for the replies so far
"I know of very few people who thru-hike a trail other than the AT who are content at just one." I did the AT and I still always feel the need to get back out there long term. I gave ...

In Philosophy & Technique » How does one become a thru-hiker?
December 22, 8:58am

Lighter duty drugs plus intervention.
I approach the concept with a different viewpoint having dealt with tremendous pain from injuries while in the Marine Corps, and substantial pain at times as a civilian long-distance hiker. Wh...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Heavy duty drugs
December 20, 2:37pm

Re: Question about Winter sleeping conditions
The question also arises about where in the park you are hiking. If you are in the valleys, 20's at night are a safe bet. If you're hiking the AT or the Mt. Leconte area, plan for night t...

In Winter Hiking » Question about Winter sleeping conditions
December 19, 4:59pm

Re: Re: How does one become a thru-hiker?
Ryan, I don't adventure race now, but did for about 3 years after I got out of the Marine Corps in 1999. Very few people adventure racing are professional racers. In fact even the professiona...

December 19, 4:43pm

Re: How does one become a thru-hiker?
Jordan, if you dwell on it enough, you're in the state of mind to take the first step. Literally. You basically have to decide you're going to do it, and pick a rough time frame for it. ...

December 19, 4:35pm

Re: Re: BPL Issue #6-How Long?
Oh, and by the way, CURSE YOU RYAN!!! Your "roadless" section is haunting my thoughts and trip plans for the future. I've actually hiked much of the region you mentioned in issu...

In GEAR » BPL Issue #6-How Long?
December 19, 4:16pm

Re: BPL Issue #6-How Long?
Don't get too excited. It took a little over two weeks for me to get #5 from the time BPL said they were going to be shipped, and I was not a new subscriber.

In GEAR » BPL Issue #6-How Long?
December 19, 12:41pm

All Reader Reviews by Shawn Basil

Showing 1 - 10 of 14 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Gregory Z-55
After loving my old Gregory Z-Pack, I had high hopes for the beautifully ventilated Z-55. As a southeastern hiker, I usually head west to high cool mountains when summer heat and humidity begin to ba...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 03, 11:25am

ULA Catalyst
I've owned 14 packs in the last 8 years and the ULA Catalyst is the best pack of the lot. I've used in Tennessee's Cumberland Plateau and Great Smoky Mountains, Nevada's Tahoe Rim Tra...

August 01, 9:23pm

Princeton Tec EOS
For years I used my Tikka and Tikka Plus, exuberantly satisfied with the compact, lightweight, and long-lasting nature of their light. But at times, I found that when I really needed extra light, suc...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
February 24, 3:53pm

Probar Energy Bar
When I first tried a Probar, I though I had finally found the "perfect trail bar" to challenge the venerable Bear Valley Pemmican Bar. It packs smaller, weighs slightly less, performs just ...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
February 23, 5:13pm

Bear Valley Mealpack Bars
Bear Valley Meal Pack and Pemmican Bars are, without a doubt, one of the most efficient foods a backpacker can hope to carry. Since I first encountered them as a scout at Philmont 22 years ago, they ...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
February 23, 4:55pm

GoLite Phantom Jacket
This was my jacket during my Colorado Trail through-hike this past summer. It's breathability is better than most, and its ventilation is superb. I hiked many miles over two weeks through monsoo...

In Clothing - Raingear
February 21, 1:55pm

Arc'Teryx Sirrus Jacket
This jacket, made in 2002 and 2003 used a combination of XCR Goretex with Paclite fabric, a combination I have not seen in other jackets. The breathability is, to put it mildly, superb. The material...

In Clothing - Raingear
February 21, 1:44pm

Mountainsmith Ghost
For warm weather in areas where I don't need to carry large amounts of water, this is my favorite pack. I use the original blue 2002 version. The pack is a dream for my longer torso. For those ...

February 21, 1:36pm

Gregory Z-Pack
I love my old, but tough 2004 Z-pack. It served me well for over 1000 miles and is still in good overall shape. My size large weighs in at exactly 3 pounds (after trimming off nearly 4 ounces of unn...

February 21, 1:23pm

Complete Walker by Colin Fletcher
I first read The Complete Walker III in 1997. I'd been backpacking recreationally for 15 years, but still learned a tremendous amount and appreciated the well-written prose and humor in the book....

In Books and Media
February 21, 10:27am