BPL Community Profile

David Chenault (DaveC) - BPL Staff

My Locale Crown of the Continent
About Me Social worker. Endurance mountain bike racer, ultra-hiker, packrafter, BC skier, un-serious climber and canyoneer.

I have given up on PMs. Please contact me through my website.
CityThe Fish
StateMontana
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://bedrockandparadox.com
My PDF Gear ListWinter '13

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Chenault

Showing 2201 - 2210 of 2989 | Page: 1 ...212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 ...299

Forum » Thread

winter condensation
Travis, I don't have hard data on that, but it makes sense from an intuitive level. I don't think there's a real solution for this. Oftentimes I pull my bag out and dry it during ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Winter camping=damp bag. Why?
September 24, 9:56am

houdini durability
Mine is 6 years old and has been used a ton. Much tougher than I would have thought when I got it.

In GEAR » LT Durability of Patagonia Houdini, TNF Anorak
September 23, 7:08pm

shovel and avys
Having an alu shovel with a real handle for snow cave, kitchen, and tent platform digging sounds fine to me. But if you're alone and without a beacon, how is it going to help in an avalanche? ...

In GEAR » Finalizing other winter gear - feedback appreciated
September 23, 7:07pm

backpacking and fishing
The normal season in the mountains is closing out. If you're ok with getting snowed on Yellowstone, the Bob Marshall, the Winds, or high Unitas all come to mind. The Sierras, too. The Roya...

In Post-Trip Reports » Western US Fall Trip Suggestion
September 21, 10:35am

angled pole
In my experience (using a trekking pole or a paddle in an MLD Trailstar) an angled pole (off to the side 8-10", not towards the head or foot) does not reduce the functional stability of a well...

In GEAR » MLD DuoMid vs. Scarp 1 for snow? Need feedback, please.
September 21, 10:29am

winter footwear
Nick, IMO above 0F just isn't very cold. With a vapor barrier sock and mid weight calf high wool sock, I'd think you'd be fine. Just make sure the toes have plenty of room, and lace y...

In GEAR » Seeking Feedback on Winter Foot System
September 21, 9:37am

winter shelter
I'd go for the mid. You can angle the pole quite a bit with no loss of stability. As for condensation, if it's a still night (when condensation seems to be the worst, open the door! I...

In GEAR » MLD DuoMid vs. Scarp 1 for snow? Need feedback, please.
September 21, 9:32am

fall in the west
I'd go to southern Utah. The Robbers Roost or Escalante, in particular. No cost other than gas and food.

In Post-Trip Reports » Western US Fall Trip Suggestion
September 20, 10:50pm

nathan pack and dromlite
Craig wrote: "Needing more capacity, I'm wondering if I could cram a 4 liter Dromlite into my Nathan HPL20 race vest built for a 2 liter....maybe I could under fill it (3 liters)..." ...

In GEAR » Bladder durability
September 20, 10:47pm

re: bladder durability
I have a six liter dromedary that is over 7 years old. I can't even begin to fathom how many user days it has. Lots of canyoneering, backpacking, almost daily use in my small hydration packs,...

In GEAR » Bladder durability
September 20, 9:22am

All Reader Reviews by David Chenault

Showing 1 - 10 of 25 | Page: 1 2 3

Review

Category

STARBUCKS VIA Italian Roast
Tastes good enough, tiny and easy to use. What could be better? It not being so darn expen$ive.

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
July 27, 2:17pm

Lara Bars Cherry Pie
Tasty, moist, tasty, good calorie to weight ratio, compact, resists deformation, doesn't freeze too bad in the cold, tasty, made of real food, and tasty! Bar-shaped food does not get any bett...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
July 27, 2:16pm

Patagonia Capilene 1 T-Shirt
Cap 1 seems to have changed very little since it was called silkweight capilene back in the day. It dries very quickly, wicks pretty well (though not as well as cap 2), and most importantly feels lig...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
July 27, 2:12pm

Therm-A-Rest Ridgerest
I use a cut-down 48" Ridgerest on every trip. Bombproof, comfy, light, cheap. In winter, I add a full length under it. I actually sleep better on this than most inflatables, but realize I&...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
April 11, 10:47am

MLD Trailstar
In summary: Aside from a bivy sack for good weather and race pace endeavors, I've sold off the rest of my shelters. It's a great cross of a pyramid and a tarp. Finished weight, seam sealed...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
April 11, 10:39am

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
It's hard to get more warmth for the weight (or price). I like having a few pieces to add in as supplementary feet and/or torso pieces. It is quite fragile. Do not leave this on the outside o...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
March 28, 3:18pm

FireLite Trapper's Mug
A very well designed cup. Light, but seems just as functionaly durable as Snowpeak or Evernew stuff. Ideal size for a soloist. The taller than it is wide shape is one I prefer for cooking on a fire...

In Cookware - Titanium
March 28, 3:03pm

Patagonia Houdini Wind Jacket
Note 1: This is a review of my 2005/6 Houdini. It's longevity is revealing (it may have been the Dragonfly back then, even). Note 2: If the price is outrageous, no one would buy it! The prote...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 29, 8:08pm

Patagonia Ready Mix Softshell Pants
I disagree with all Kev's objections, and desperately wish I could find more mediums to buy. The simplicity is what I love best. Actually, the perfect in all conditions from 70-10 F fabric is ...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 29, 8:00pm

patagonia down sweater
Note: I'm folding this review of the Down hooded pullover into this section because 1) the hooded p/o isn't made anymore, 2) the critical comments likely apply broadly. I really liked the d...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
January 27, 10:07am