Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Scott Bentz (scottbentz) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me I live in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. I can get to a lot of nice hiking areas right from my street or travel for 15 minutes to higher elevations in the Angeles National Forrest. I started packing again with my sons in their Boy Scout troop. I was definitely not light that first trip 6 years ago and have been reducing my pack weight ever since. I mainly pack a few times a year in the Eastern and Western Sierras.
My PDF Gear ListNorth Lake South Lake 2012

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Scott Bentz

Showing 221 - 230 of 435 | Page: 1 ...14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ...44

Forum » Thread

Extenders
We took a group of scouts to Philmont Scout Ranch. They require the use of a separate rain shelter, i.e. 10 x 12 tarp. We extended our poles by lashing 2 sets of poles together with bicycle inner t...

In GEAR » Pole extenders question?
November 26, 7:15am

Cold Weather
Larry, I don't know how cold it was but we had a few nights with frost if that is any indication. Never had a thermometer to look at. If I left the Steripen Journey out in my pack, or just ...

In GEAR » Steripen
November 11, 3:07pm

Journey
I have a Journey. 4 of us used it this summer on a JMT thru hike. I found it does not work when it is cold outside or the water is real cold. Could be user error, but it happened over and over. We ...

In GEAR » Steripen
November 11, 10:25am

White Ursack
"Maybe dye them??" Actually, when you get them dirty they do lose their "shine".

In GEAR » where in California is Ursack allowed?
November 04, 4:54pm

Ursacks in Yosemite
Lori, I only spent 2 nights in Yosemite (Sunrise and up near Lyell Canyon) and did not have to use our Ursacks. Yosemite scares men nonetheless, we only saw 2 Rangers and none of them were inter...

November 04, 4:41pm

Ursacks
Well, I must confess, I was a Ursack user on the JMT. Our trip this year (14 day thru hike) the four of us each used Bearicade Weekenders. We also had 2 Ursacks between us for "overflow"...

November 04, 12:37pm

Different Strokes for Different Folks
Nick, I do believe that crew building is an important aspect of Philmont, however, I do not think a kid or adult that has prepared beforehand to carry a lighter load has to carry the same weight...

In Philmont » ULA Ohm for Philmont
November 03, 7:26pm

Gatewood Cape
David, Maybe you could interest him in a Gatewood Cape if Tarptents aren't his thing.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Pretty funny..
November 03, 7:03pm

Steripen
"I use disposable Li batteries, and I have found that the unit is more finicky in colder conditions. I also carry chlorine dioxide tablets as a backup." I found that to be true also on...

In GEAR » (Possibly dangerous) Steripen Failure
October 30, 5:17pm

Canisters
On our JMT this year we used canisters for the 4 of us. We had 2 stoves between the 4 of us. We were out 14 days and never ran out of fuel using the 8 oz. canister. We only cooked once a day to he...

In GEAR » Stove type efficiency for longer outings
October 21, 11:34am

All Reader Reviews by Scott Bentz

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

MSR MIOX
We used a MSR Miox on a trip with 9 people (Scouts). We got very spotty results and ended up playing with the unit more than we wanted. It seemed like the perfect solution but was not worth the wait. ...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
June 03, 5:04pm